Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion

Old Jan 21, 2008, 12:39 AM   #1
MacBytes
macrumors bot

MacBook Air: top 10 things to love about it

Category: Apple Hardware
Link: MacBook Air: top 10 things to love about it
Description:: none

Posted on MacBytes.com
Approved by Mudbug
MacBytes is offline   0
Old Jan 21, 2008, 01:03 AM   #2
samh004
macrumors 68020

Quote:
In twelve months from now, the MacBook Air will probably have a 160GB drive as standard, and may ship with 4GB RAM for the same price. How much better does a machine with those specs sound?
That sounds a bit better, especially if it has a security lock slot
Old Jan 21, 2008, 02:14 AM   #3
OS X Dude
macrumors 6502a

Here's the plan:

Add 1 more USB port and a FireWire port - even if it is gonna be 2mm thicker as a result OH NOES!

Memory card reader would be ace on a machine like this.

for christ\s sake make the keyboard the same colour as the laptop - we're in Dell territory atm with black keys on silver laptop

Make it cheaper - sub 1000 would be nice.

I should be CEO of Apple!!!!
H&K TubeMeister 18 Head
OS X Dude is offline   0
Old Jan 21, 2008, 03:30 AM   #4
johnnyjibbs
macrumors 68030

Send a message via AIM to johnnyjibbs Send a message via MSN to johnnyjibbs
I wouldn't exactly call '80GB HD is big enough' as a top ten thing to love about the machine - it is viewed as compromise in the eyes of a lot of people, and their reasons to try to justify it just show they are on the defensive.

That said, they are absolutely right about the capacity. 160GB will be the norm in 6 months to a year, at which point flash will be cheap enough to become standard, as Apple intended. And that is exactly why I won't be buying one of these machines in the forseeable future.

As an extra laptop to my soon-to-be-bought-just-as-soon-as-they-update-the-bloody-thing MacBook Pro 15" a year down the line? I could only dream...

Most of their other points are also trying to defend the compromises in the machine. This article had the wrong name, or else they should have raved about its thinness, weight and size (but not the stinking battery life).

EDIT: Ok, so it was in response to 10 things to hate about it, with each one covered in the article before. Maybe it is justified then... Still, for the price, it's only viable as a second computer for those with plenty of cash lying around for luxuries - hence niche market.

Last edited by johnnyjibbs; Jan 21, 2008 at 03:37 AM.
johnnyjibbs is offline   0
Old Jan 21, 2008, 07:47 AM   #5
mainstreetmark
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by OS X Dude View Post
for christ\s sake make the keyboard the same colour as the laptop - we're in Dell territory atm with black keys on silver laptop
Actually, I do not like, nor have ever liked, the backlight on the silver keys. In dark environments, the backlight of they keyboard makes it match the reflection of the screen on the silvery keys, rendering the keyboard unreadable. I have to turn the backlight OFF in many dark situations.

Black would have been great!

Quote:
Make it cheaper - sub 1000 would be nice.

I should be CEO of Apple!!!!
Um, sure. Pack all this high technology into a small space, and rather than pay for the research and development time, just take a loss on it. Your board of directors will love you for all the friends you've made.
Old Jan 21, 2008, 10:08 AM   #6
Bye Bye Baby
macrumors 65816

I think you mean available in large quantities

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyjibbs View Post
That said, they are absolutely right about the capacity. 160GB will be the norm in 6 months to a year, at which point flash will be cheap enough to become standard, as Apple intended. And that is exactly why I won't be buying one of these machines in the forseeable future.
I don't think the problem is simply one of flash being standard- it is used as standard in thousands of devices. The problem is that there is too much demand. There is a shortage of flash in the market.
Bye Bye Baby is offline   0
Old Jan 21, 2008, 10:09 AM   #7
RichP
macrumors 68000

I think the machine makes too many compromises. No firewire, one USB, no security lock, etc. The 80GB hard drive is a marketing ploy, pure and simple. If an iPod can have 160gb of space, why not the MBA? Why marketing? Because the 80 is more comparable to the 64gb SSD drive, and paying $999 for half the harddrive space would be too difficult to swallow for consumers.
Old Jan 21, 2008, 11:56 AM   #8
nagromme
macrumors G5

Some notes:

* The iPod 160 is thicker than the 80. Those drives are not the same physical size.

* Apple will of course obtain good pricing on larger drives that ARE the same physical size. All specs on all computers increase with time, and prices fall too. If you wait until then to buy, the same will be true: ANOTHER 6+ months will bring further improvements. There is no time you can buy any computer without something better and cheaper coming along later. So... wait if you can, but buy when you need it and enjoy.

* I want a lock slot too. I wonder if someone will make a lock that will go in one of the vent slots.

* Everyone has their ONE feature that they think would be worth adding a little size and weight and cost over. Just a little. But not everyone agrees on what that one feature is. Add them all and you have a MacBook Pro. But the MacBook Air is ABOUT making compromises for the sake of size. As subnotebooks have always been. That's what I'm looking for. Many people aren't.

* I know lots of people who buy things that cost $1799 or more. Computers, even. If they want thin and light, they can afford it. Windows subnotebooks have often cost even more, and they still keep making them.

* I know lots of people who do less with a computer than the MBA can handle. I can do everything I need with one, except play high-end games. I have an iMac for that, but many people are happy with casual or less-detailed games. No subnotebook is a gaming powerhouse. An MBA can't connect a firewire camcorder. It perform just about any other function most buyers would ever want. You can connect just about anything else (including a mic) via USB or wireless.

* I still think an MBA is more likely a second computer than an only computer--but it CAN serve either way. And second computers are commonplace, even for individuals. For a family or couple, second computers are practically a given.

* Black keys are perfect for the backlighting. Mac desktop keyboards should change to black keys--with backlighting.

* The price is good, but small is never cheap. That will limit sales compared to $1100 machines, and of course the mainstream MacBook and Pro lines will always be the main sellers. But there's room for this model too--and prices will fall. This is the first step, not the last, for the MacBook Air. Next year even more people will be able to afford them, and they'll be better too.

Last edited by nagromme; Jan 21, 2008 at 12:02 PM.
nagromme is offline   0
Old Jan 21, 2008, 01:18 PM   #9
SheriffParker
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by OS X Dude View Post
I kind of have to agree with this. I have no problems reading the backlit keys on my MBP. I've never heard of a problem with silver keys and backlighting.

The black keys look like garbage.
Old Jan 21, 2008, 01:41 PM   #10
OS X Dude
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainstreetmark View Post
Actually, I do not like, nor have ever liked, the backlight on the silver keys. In dark environments, the backlight of they keyboard makes it match the reflection of the screen on the silvery keys, rendering the keyboard unreadable. I have to turn the backlight OFF in many dark situations.

Black would have been great!

Um, sure. Pack all this high technology into a small space, and rather than pay for the research and development time, just take a loss on it. Your board of directors will love you for all the friends you've made.
High technology? haha if this is high tech to you what computer are you coming from???

To make cheaper, obviously some (more) sacrifices need to be made - older, bigger C2D (one from the VAIO TZ will do), and make things overall a lil less powerful to knock costs down. After all, it's a second/travelling Mac so doesn't need the power it has.
H&K TubeMeister 18 Head
OS X Dude is offline   0

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion