Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

prasenberg

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 21, 2008
I have a weird problem with Safari that has been bugging me. At seemingly random times it doesn't load a page. Usually it is the second page of a website I visit. This means that the homepage (http://www.cnn.com for example) loads fine. But when I click on a link on the page (to go to sports or politics), it starts loading and then does nothing. Like this:

nytimes2.png

The New York Times often doesn't load at all. I have no problems at all with some other sites, like wikipedia or Macrumors. Firefox and Camino do not have these problems.

The problem started when I was still running Tiger and Safari 2 on my MacBook. I since started using a MacBook Pro and moved all my data and settings with the Migration Assistant. The MacBook Pro runs Leopard, but Safari 3.0 has exactly the same problem as Safari 2 had on my Macbook. I tried the following:

- repair permissions
- removed all cookies and set my preferences to accept all cookies
- cleared cache
- manually removed the .plist-files for Safari from the Library

All to no avail. When I log in using the built-in Guest Account on my MacBook Pro, Safari runs fine.

Any suggestions are very welcome, as I really like Safari. I prefer it over both Firefox and Camino.

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006
does "reset" help?

just to be sure, firefox has no such problem for you?

prasenberg

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 21, 2008
I tried reset, but the problem persists. Yes, Firefox runs fine, as do all other browsers. Safari also runs fine when logged in with the Guest Account.

clarkt

macrumors newbie
Jan 22, 2009
Confirmed!

I'm seeing the same issue. I've swapped out firewall/router, reset switches, changed DNS, etc.

All with the same results.

Firefox works fine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.