Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has started quietly shipping 64-bit Windows Vista drivers with the install disks of the latest Mac Pros which were just released earlier this month. The installation instructions that come with the new Mac Pros specify this new feature:
Important: You must use a single full-install Windows installation disc (Service Pack 2 is required for Windows XP installations). Do not use an upgrade version of Windows and do not install an earlier version of Windows XP and attempt to update it later to SP2 or later. Use only 32-bit versions of Windows. If you have a Mac Pro introduced in late 2007 or later, you can use a 64-bit version of Windows Vista.
The finding has been confirmed by multiple users. No indication if these drivers will become available with the next Mac OS X update. Mac OS X 10.5.2 has been undergoing testing and is expected to be released in the coming weeks.

Article Link

donlphi

macrumors 6502
May 25, 2006
Seattle (M$ Country)
Is Windows Vista in high demand for Mac Owners? Not trying to be a fan boy, just curious about what has come out for Vista that OS X isn't going to be able to run or even a better question... what is Vista going to run that XP isn't going to run.

MS Access?:confused:

LeviG

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2006
Norfolk, UK
Is Windows Vista in high demand for Mac Owners? Not trying to be a fan boy, just curious about what has come out for Vista that OS X isn't going to be able to run or even a better question... what is Vista going to run that XP isn't going to run.

I would say its more 64 bit support which is important here and vista is the better option for this, xp 64bit never really got the drivers it needed. Anybody buying a mac pro is likely using it for workstation class programs and as such benefits from increased ram and performance (on supporting programs) etc that 64 bit offers over 32 bit.

Personally I've got 64bit vista (not on a mac) purely for these reasons.

cbrain

macrumors 65816
Dec 9, 2006
North-East, UK
If this was introduced onto existing Macs with an update, we would probably have to start burning driver discs again instead of using the ones on the Leopard disc.

I wonder if XP Pro 64-bit works.

rockinrocker

macrumors 65816
Aug 21, 2006

i'm wondering this too, since xp64 is far and away the best version of windows out there (driver support or not). hopefully if more people use it developers will start to get on board....

samh004

macrumors 68020
Mar 1, 2004
Australia

Perhaps Apple has just worked out a deal with Microsoft, helping them transition users from XP to Vista as they're having problems right now.

What about other Macs? Aren't all the other Macs 64-bit too?

I thought so, I hope it's introduced for other macs.

If this was introduced onto existing Macs with an update, we would probably have to start burning driver discs again instead of using the ones on the Leopard disc.

That's inevitable anyway as a better driver could be built, or support for something that wasn't supported before could be released. And who knows, those drivers could become available through a software update on the windows side instead anyway.

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
Windows isn't worth 2 bits, let alone 64. Why buy a Mac Pro to Boot Camp Windows on, whatever flavor it is?

TheThirdMan

macrumors regular
Nov 14, 2007
London, UK
Windows isn't worth 2 bits, let alone 64. Why buy a Mac Pro to Boot Camp Windows on, whatever flavor it is?

For 3D apps. 3ds max, zBrush, Mudbox and many other 3d apps are windows only.

This is the one announcement concerning the Mac Pro I've been waiting for. Now i can run 3ds max and it'll support more than 3gb of ram!

Anybody buying a mac pro is likely using it for workstation class programs and as such benefits from increased ram and performance (on supporting programs) etc that 64 bit offers over 32 bit.

Precisely.

aLoC

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2006
64-bit Vista - that means Vista Ultimate right? Which is pretty pricey...

sickracer2015

macrumors member
Apr 14, 2003
burn driver disk at a local mac store

Just bring in a blank CD and burn a drivers CD from one of the new Mac Pro's there.

cokersa

macrumors member
Apr 13, 2007
Kansas City
So 64 bit support for the new Mac Pro (not "old" Mac Pro) and 8800GT support for the new Mac Pro (not "old" Mac Pro). I'm really feeling the love here...

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
Apple should just push a new disc image via Software Update. I don't want them to play games like only Mac Pro buyers are smart enough to buy 64-bit Windows.

kinless

macrumors regular
Apr 2, 2003
Tustin, California
Holy crap that's hilarious.

I just got my 8-core Mac Pro last week, and I was going to install Windows Vista Ultimate 64-bit this weekend, even though I didn't think it was supported. Had no idea that they made 64-bit drivers.

What a nice surprise. Thanks, Apple.

~j

loveturtle

macrumors member
Apr 7, 2006
Florida
What's the big deal? I have 64bit vista installed on my late 2006 mac pro and have for months. Wow, Apple released drivers, congrats...now my volume keys have a little OSD. *claps*

hob

macrumors 68010
Oct 4, 2003
London, UK

That was going to happen eventually anyway! Drivers wouldn't stay the same until OS X 10.6 is released...!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.