Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

peejack

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 7, 2007
Hi,

I have been having a few problems and wondered if anyone here could enlighten me as to what it might be.

First of all I have the new mac pro 2008 standard config only with a couple more hard drives. I have the Dell 2407wfp-hc monitor.

A while back I got these problem with the screen, it just happened from no where:

screen1.JPG

screen2.JPG

The only way I could correct it was to reboot then it was fine.

Since then I have various issues like that where the screen went a little strange and everything froze and I had to reboot.

Today this happened, again from nowhere:

screen3.JPG

After a while it went to a blue screen and this came up every now and again for a few seconds:

screen4.JPG

Again the only way to cure it was to reboot and now it's fine.

What is likely to be the cause of this? Is it the screen? The Computer or a software bug in leopard?

Would really appreciate the help as this appears to be a regular occurrence.

Thanks

trainguy77

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2003
If possible give it a shot with a different monitor. If the problem still exists then give apple a call.

darthraige

macrumors 68000
Aug 8, 2007
Coruscant, but Boston will do.
Maybe Apple really hates Dell and wrote a code to force you to get another monitor. lol ... It's weird. It could just be a defective graphics card maybe? Try seeing if its plugged in all the way or try unplugging it and putting it back in. I had to to that with the Hard Drive that came with it.

peejack

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 7, 2007
If possible give it a shot with a different monitor. If the problem still exists then give apple a call.

I don't have a different monitor to try, The monitor is only a few days old, but pcbuyit refuse to swap it over without checking it first and didn't believe me even though I sent them pictures when the problem first arose and just told me to call Dell direct.

I just wanted to see what the most likely cause you experts may think it is?

trainguy77

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2003
If i had to guess without trying anything else i would say a bad graphics card. Could you borrow a monitor from a friend just to try it?

peejack

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 7, 2007
Tipical from a video card issue.

You mean this is a faulty video card or something software wise with the card?

If i had to guess without trying anything else i would say a bad graphics card. Could you borrow a monitor from a friend just to try it?

No not really:( It just happens out of the blue and sometimes not for ages so it's hard to see if it's solved.

Im on the phone waiting for applecare now, should I stick with them?

Should I try anything myself?

darthraige

macrumors 68000
Aug 8, 2007
Coruscant, but Boston will do.
No not really:( It just happens out of the blue and sometimes not for ages so it's hard to see if it's solved.

Im on the phone waiting for applecare now, should I stick with them?

Should I try anything myself?

You need to somehow get another monitor to rule out that theory of it being the monitor. Otherwise shut down the computer and take out the graphics card and pop it back in. Could just not be in all the way.

peejack

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 7, 2007
You need to somehow get another monitor to rule out that theory of it being the monitor. Otherwise shut down the computer and take out the graphics card and pop it back in. Could just not be in all the way.

Ok I will try.

peejack

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 7, 2007
Does it happen more often when the room is warm or your doing GPU intensive things?

Not really just seems to be random.

I have just opened it up and taken the card out and slotted back in and checked it secure, i also done the same with the ram while I was there.

Ill see if the problem happens again now, and report back if it does.

Thanks for everyones help, stay tuned :D

Kuraudo

macrumors member
Feb 19, 2007
Thats exactly how my x1900 XT was. Its the video card. Apple replaced mine yesterday, no problem anymore.

It happens to be my second dead video card from ATI.

Its not your monitor buddy.

Send your video card back!

Kuraudo

macrumors member
Feb 19, 2007
Can you tell me what the PRAM is ?
I hope that works for him, to save him time. Both times I had this occur it was my video card.
I would try resetting your PRAM:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=2238

1- Turn off your computer
2- Turn on your computer
3- Hold down "Ctrl + Option + P + R" before the gray screen appears
4- Continue to hold down the 4 keys until the computer restarts again.

Jonny427

macrumors regular
Oct 16, 2007
Orange County, CA
From the link I posted above:

Contents of PRAM
Some Macintosh computers may not have all the settings described below. For Mac OS X information, refer to Mac OS X: What's Stored in PRAM?

Status of AppleTalk
Serial Port Configuration and Port definition
Alarm clock setting
Application font
Serial printer location
Autokey rate
Autokey delay
Speaker volume
Attention (beep) sound
Double-click time
Caret blink time (insertion point rate)
Mouse scaling (mouse speed)
Startup disk
Menu blink count
Monitor depth {Might be the problem}
32-bit addressing
Virtual memory
RAM disk
Disk cache

peejack

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 7, 2007
Thanks again for the advice everyone, it's all been taken on board.

If I get the problem again ill try the PRAM if not ill see about a replacement.

Quick question, resetting the PRAM, can that cause any problems?? or is it safe to do ?

sandylp

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2004
San Francisco Bay Area
I had the same problem with a Dell computer one time. The picture was similar to the one you posted. I, too, had to reboot to make it work. Eventually, I had to reboot more and more and after about a year, even rebooting didn't fix it. It was the graphics card and replacing it fixed the problem. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.