Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Jan 21, 2008, 05:02 PM   #1
lugesm
macrumors 6502a

Safari Extremely Slow - Suddenly

For no apparent reason Safari now takes 10 to 25 seconds to change or open a web page on a 10MB Internet connection.

The only thing that I know I changed was the install of Office2008. Can't imagine that did the deed, but I can't explain it otherwise.

Unplugged the Ethernet cable from my iMAC and plugged it into my Windows Vista HP notebook, and the Internet is fast as ever under Internet Explorer.

This is a miserable situation. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Last edited by lugesm; Jan 21, 2008 at 05:07 PM.
lugesm is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2008, 05:11 PM   #2
boast
macrumors 6502a

Is it the same issue with other browsers?
boast is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2008, 05:17 PM   #3
lugesm
macrumors 6502a

The only two browsers I can check are as follows:

iMAC Safari: Extremely slow.

HP Notebook, Windows Vista, Internet Explorer: Very Fast.
Old Jan 22, 2008, 05:52 AM   #4
jhande
macrumors 6502

I don't have Office, but have experienced the Safari issue. Cannot correlate it to open apps, and can't figure out what other apps could possibly influence it.

AdBlock/Safariblock don't seem to have any influence -- I thought at first that they might be the culprit, but....

After I take a backup I'm going to shred my safari plists, then see if that helps.
jhande is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2008, 07:08 AM   #5
lugesm
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhande View Post
I don't have Office, but have experienced the Safari issue. Cannot correlate it to open apps, and can't figure out what other apps could possibly influence it.

AdBlock/Safariblock don't seem to have any influence -- I thought at first that they might be the culprit, but....

After I take a backup I'm going to shred my safari plists, then see if that helps.
Would you please report back here your results? I will also report back here if I find the reason for this problem and/or a solution.

Thanks.
Old Jan 22, 2008, 07:10 AM   #6
lugesm
macrumors 6502a

Another Thought

I am fairly new to the Macintosh, so I am unfamiliar with OS repairs, etc.

Is it possible to reinstall Safari from the original Leopard disk without having to reinstall everything else?

Thanks for your comments.
Old Jan 22, 2008, 07:25 AM   #7
::Lisa::
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by lugesm View Post
I am fairly new to the Macintosh, so I am unfamiliar with OS repairs, etc.

Is it possible to reinstall Safari from the original Leopard disk without having to reinstall everything else?

Thanks for your comments.
Yeah it is. Pop in your Leopard disk and click on "optional install" (or something like that) and check the Safari checkbox. I'd fully remove Safari and all the files first before you do that though to ensure a completely clean install of Safari if you went that route.

Good luck.
Old Jan 22, 2008, 11:10 AM   #8
aviddk
macrumors regular

I wonder if it wasn't the latest software update that hit Safari. I switched back to Camino and it doesn't seem to have the problem. I am hoping the slow down on Safari is rectified with 10.5.2. When you have an iPhone using Safari is a huge advantage.
Old Jan 22, 2008, 11:21 AM   #9
jhande
macrumors 6502

Hmm.... shredded every plist wrt Safari. Can't see any change, subjectively speaking.

I'm travelling at the moment, but will delete/reinstall Safari when I get back, and see if there's any difference.
jhande is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2008, 12:48 PM   #10
lugesm
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviddk View Post
I wonder if it wasn't the latest software update that hit Safari. I switched back to Camino and it doesn't seem to have the problem. I am hoping the slow down on Safari is rectified with 10.5.2. When you have an iPhone using Safari is a huge advantage.
I am running Safari 3.0.4 (5523.10.6). I suspect this is the latest version of Safari. I don't have another browser to try.
Old Jan 22, 2008, 12:54 PM   #11
WriterAtTheSea
macrumors newbie

Location: Somewhere between reality and creativity... But currently in New England.
Send a message via AIM to WriterAtTheSea Send a message via Yahoo to WriterAtTheSea Send a message via Skype™ to WriterAtTheSea
Safari Issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by lugesm View Post
I am running Safari 3.0.4 (5523.10.6). I suspect this is the latest version of Safari. I don't have another browser to try.
While I am a MAC addict, I am not particularly fond of Safari. I am running Version 3.0.4 (523.12.2), and constantly have to force quit. Does anyone else experience this? I use Firefox much more frequently because of that.
WriterAtTheSea is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2008, 03:20 PM   #12
MoncoZero
macrumors member

Me too. Safari has been substantially slower for me recently. And come to think of it, it was around the time I installed MS Office 2008.
However, Firefox still works fine.
MoncoZero is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2008, 11:23 PM   #13
WriterAtTheSea
macrumors newbie

Location: Somewhere between reality and creativity... But currently in New England.
Send a message via AIM to WriterAtTheSea Send a message via Yahoo to WriterAtTheSea Send a message via Skype™ to WriterAtTheSea
Safari Slowness

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoncoZero View Post
Me too. Safari has been substantially slower for me recently. And come to think of it, it was around the time I installed MS Office 2008.
Yes, actually... I too installed MS Office2008.. I wonder if there is a correlation?
Old Jan 23, 2008, 02:53 AM   #14
lugesm
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Downloaded Firefox this morning and launched it. Same results.
Sl o o o o o w startup of web pages. Launching a web site or changing to a new page within a web site can take 8 to 25 seconds.

Guess the problem is probably NOT Safari after all.

This is driving me crazy. The only other things that might affect this is:
1. I installed Office 2008 on Saturday, 4 days ago. This should not affect Safari operation or timing, should it?
2. Charter Communications changed my bit rate from 5MB to 10MB recently. I wonder if my system is just choking on the higher bit rate?
Old Jan 24, 2008, 11:06 AM   #15
MoncoZero
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WriterAtTheSea View Post
Yes, actually... I too installed MS Office2008.. I wonder if there is a correlation?
Weird... all of a sudden safari snapped back to its speedy self. I don't think I did anything different. So, sorry I can't help. Good luck though!
MoncoZero is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2008, 12:21 AM   #16
WriterAtTheSea
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Weird... all of a sudden safari snapped back to its speedy self. I don't think I did anything different. So, sorry I can't help. Good luck though!
Yeah, mine too... I am just not overly wild about Safari at this point. All the best to you too!

Old May 1, 2008, 04:08 PM   #17
mlcatl
macrumors newbie

I got the same problem

My internet connection, etc is OK. it's something in the Mac. Interestingly, I can stream HD video with no problem. I DIDN'T install Microsoft Office 2008, but I DID install Remote Desktop....

When I reboot, the problem stops... for a while, then returns. Totally ********** irritating.

mlcatl
mlcatl is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2008, 09:58 PM   #18
ewilson6
macrumors 6502

Did you try resetting cable modem/router?

That is where the problem is.

Check internet speed here

http://www.timewarnercable.com/cinci...speedtest.html

--Eric
ewilson6 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2008, 11:07 AM   #19
WriterAtTheSea
macrumors newbie

Redirecting Madness

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewilson6 View Post
Did you try resetting cable modem/router?

That is where the problem is.

Check internet speed here

http://www.timewarnercable.com/cinci...speedtest.html

--Eric
Thank you for the link, but in my case... that is not the issue. I have reset the cable modem/router thing, and it never seems to help. Ugh. I also have issues with video chatting. Everyone complains that my face looks like melted cheese. So frustrated.
Old May 2, 2008, 10:42 PM   #20
shwc
macrumors regular

It is possible that you have an outdated DNS address in your DNS server list. If you have a bad DNS server address, your computer will spend a lot of time trying to get information from that address.

Normally, you should not have anything in the DNS server field. Your machine will automatically connect to a local DNS server if nothing is listed. If your ISP told you to put something in the DNS field, get an updated DNS server address from them. Also, make sure that your computer is not trying to access a private (e.g., work or school) DNS server from your home. The private DNS server will not let you on.
shwc is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2008, 12:19 PM   #21
WriterAtTheSea
macrumors newbie

Good News?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shwc View Post
It is possible that you have an outdated DNS address in your DNS server list. If you have a bad DNS server address, your computer will spend a lot of time trying to get information from that address.

Normally, you should not have anything in the DNS server field. Your machine will automatically connect to a local DNS server if nothing is listed. If your ISP told you to put something in the DNS field, get an updated DNS server address from them. Also, make sure that your computer is not trying to access a private (e.g., work or school) DNS server from your home. The private DNS server will not let you on.
Okay, this I did not know about. Thank you. How do I actually do all of this?
Old May 3, 2008, 12:38 PM   #22
way77
macrumors newbie

Try this

I also experience frequent slowdowns w Safari. When it gets too bad I delete all cookies and empty the cache. Sometimes I also clear the history, but the first two seem to be the most relevant. Next restart it's good to go.
Old May 4, 2008, 12:52 AM   #23
WriterAtTheSea
macrumors newbie

Excellent!

Quote:
Originally Posted by way77 View Post
I also experience frequent slowdowns w Safari. When it gets too bad I delete all cookies and empty the cache. Sometimes I also clear the history, but the first two seem to be the most relevant. Next restart it's good to go.
I appreciate the help here! Thank you so much! I will try this too.
Old May 4, 2008, 02:39 AM   #24
OilConsumer
macrumors newbie

Yea i had that problem also but mine also kept crashing.

My answer is change to Firefox

and if you really like the safari os x look just download extensions :P
OilConsumer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2008, 11:22 PM   #25
WriterAtTheSea
macrumors newbie

The Fox

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilConsumer View Post
Yea i had that problem also but mine also kept crashing.

My answer is change to Firefox

and if you really like the safari os x look just download extensions :P
Oh, actually I use Firefox much more than Safari because of the issues with Safari.

Thanks again!
Carla

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store