Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheSpaz

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jun 20, 2005
Check this out. To downgrade 1.1.3 to 1.1.1, it's very easy on the Mac and works PERFECTLY. This worked for me and first I tried the iphuc downgrade method and it SUCKED and I couldn't get it to work. However, this way worked and I didn't have to even type one single command.

First off, lemme just say I'm running 1.1.3 on my iPod with the software update pack and iTunes 7.6 when I did this.

1. Connect your iPod touch and let it show up in iTunes and finish syncing and make sure you've logged into the home screen.

2. Hold down POWER and HOME until the iPod disappears from the source list.

3. When the iPod disappears from the source list, you can let go of the POWER button but, KEEP holding the HOME button until the iPod pops back into the list in recovery mode.

4. Then you can go about your normal downgrade routine by holding down the OPTION key while clicking the "Restore" button and choose the 1.1.1 firmware. (Edit: for PC Users, hold down the SHIFT key while clicking Restore)

As I said earlier, no need for iPhuc and this was done using 1.1.3 and iTunes 7.6. I can't believe how hard this information was to find.

By the way, this is NOT the normal restore way as it was in previous downgrades... that's when you get the unknown errors.

I hope this works for all of you Mac users out there. It sure worked for me after many failed attempts at the so called "iphuc" method.

dhxoals

macrumors newbie
Sep 30, 2007
Thank you!! It really works!!
I also used iTunes 7.6 and it worked like a charm!

ProwlingTiger

macrumors 65816
Jan 15, 2008
Hmm, the iPhuc method worked perfectly for me twice on 2 diff ipods. But this looks a lot easier.

TheSpaz

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jun 20, 2005
Thank you!! It really works!!
I also used iTunes 7.6 and it worked like a charm!

*takes a bow*

Although I did not come up with this solution, I searched ALL over for a cure for my iphuc problems using the iphuc method shown on the youtube video that's going around everywhere and I kept getting a "bus error" whenever using it. So I finally found a simple tutorial on how to do this without any of that crap and I literally could NOT believe it actually worked because from what I understood from reading forum after forum is that you HAD to use command-line and iphuc because it was very difficult to do... Hah, guess they were wrong.

We might as well get the "good hint" circulating around the net so that not just a few people know about it. It should be widely known.

DON'T USE IPHUC!

TuffLuffJimmy

macrumors G3
Apr 6, 2007
Portland, OR
I am so confused by this post and people saying this works. It doesn't. Everyone knows about recovery mode, the iPhuc method is the only way that is currently working.

but if for some odd reason this did work for you, then: cooooool.

EDIT: actually, is it possible that the iPhuc method did work? and you used iPhuc (as you stated) and that caused the recovery mode restore to work? I'm thinking that's what happened.

TheSpaz

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jun 20, 2005
I am so confused by this post and people saying this works. It doesn't. Everyone knows about recovery mode, the iPhuc method is the only way that is currently working.

but if for some odd reason this did work for you, then: cooooool.

EDIT: actually, is it possible that the iPhuc method did work? and you used iPhuc (as you stated) and that caused the recovery mode restore to work? I'm thinking that's what happened.

iPhuc never copied any files to the iPod, the only way I was able to get out of restore mode was with iNdependence. Also, if you follow my method, you'll notice that it does work. Just do everything exactly how my instructions are and there is no reason to use iPhuc.

jcjcjc87

macrumors newbie
May 18, 2006
I recently bought a 16gb ipod touch, and updated to 1.1.3 with the software update.

Is it worth bothering about jailbreaking it using the above method, or should i just wait and see what happens in February with the SDK.

If i downgrade to 1.1.1 - can I go back to 1.1.3 and will the software update be there again? Also is there anything in 1.1.3 that i will not be able to do using 1.1.1 jailbroken?

Thanks

mishh

macrumors newbie
Jan 22, 2008
i did all of this, and it all worked up to the part where you click "restore". it didn't give me the option to downgrade to 1.1.1 it just said it will go back to the newest firmware :S
i did it 3 times and the same thing happens.
i have been trying to downgrade all day with iPhuc, (which doesn't even work on mac computers :( )
can anyone please help?

dagored

macrumors 65816
Sep 18, 2007
Florida
i did all of this, and it all worked up to the part where you click "restore". it didn't give me the option to downgrade to 1.1.1 it just said it will go back to the newest firmware :S
i have been trying to downgrade all day with iPhuc, (which doesn't even work on mac computers :( )
can anyone please help?

Best I can do:

http://rs169.rapidshare.com/files/84168372/Down113-Universal.tar

OR
Here's the key sequence:
Turn on ipod --> Press and hold Home+Sleep (for very long) --> iPod goes to sleep --> Keep holding Home+Sleep --> iPod Wakes up again --> bang... The screen that ask you to plugin your ipod to itunes.

http://wiki.iphonegameover.com/Firmware_download - firmware downloads

Roxerroneous

macrumors newbie
Jan 9, 2008
can anyone please help?

mishh, I haven't downgraded to 1.1.3 or restored using iTunes 7.6, but with previous versions you had to hold the cmd key while clicking restore to choose which firmware to load. Have you tried that?

TheSpaz

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jun 20, 2005
mishh, I haven't downgraded to 1.1.3 or restored using iTunes 7.6, but with previous versions you had to hold the cmd key while clicking restore to choose which firmware to load. Have you tried that?

I said in my instructions that you "option click" the restore button. I should edit that you make it more understandable.

nylock10

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2006
Worked perfectly, downgraded from 1.1.3 to 1.1.1 and then jail-broken in under 10 minutes.

TheSpaz

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jun 20, 2005
Works Perfectly!!!!!!

iPhuc wasn't working for me either, so THANKYOU so much for posting this tutorial :D:D:D:D:D:D

You're welcome. It took a lot of digging around to find out this information and I'm just providing it to you folks so you don't have to dig as much for it. There are still a lot of people messing with iPhuc just because of ONE YouTube video... sad really... I fell for it too.

Bronze

macrumors newbie
Jan 23, 2008
So if I downgrade my iTouch, do I also lose the $20 January software update I paid for?

seecoolguy

macrumors 6502
Nov 28, 2007
Check this out. To downgrade 1.1.3 to 1.1.1, it's very easy on the Mac and works PERFECTLY. This worked for me and first I tried the iphuc downgrade method and it SUCKED and I couldn't get it to work. However, this way worked and I didn't have to even type one single command.

First off, lemme just say I'm running 1.1.3 on my iPod with the software update pack and iTunes 7.6 when I did this.

1. Connect your iPod touch and let it show up in iTunes and finish syncing and make sure you've logged into the home screen.

3. When the iPod disappears from the source list, you can let go of the POWER button but, KEEP holding the HOME button until the iPod pops back into the list in recovery mode.

4. Then you can go about your normal downgrade routine by holding down the OPTION key while clicking the "Restore" button and choose the 1.1.1 firmware.

As I said earlier, no need for iPhuc and this was done using 1.1.3 and iTunes 7.6. I can't believe how hard this information was to find.

By the way, this is NOT the normal restore way as it was in previous downgrades... that's when you get the unknown errors.

I hope this works for all of you Mac users out there. It sure worked for me after many failed attempts at the so called "iphuc" method.

I don't know why but I am having the toughest time doing this... I have 1.1.3 ipod touch, and a OS X 10.5.1, with itunes 7.6 > downgraded to 7.5 it still does not work when I use the option to downgrade to 1.1.1 I get an unknown error(1). but my ipod is on the recovery mode as it shows the cable screen pointing to the itunes icon.

delude

macrumors 6502
Dec 27, 2007
UK
Do you think this will work with Windows? I'm expecting a hopefully new iPod back from Apple tomorrow, after having one with a faulty screen. I am hoping it will have 1.1.3 on so that I know that it is new.

TheSpaz

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jun 20, 2005
I don't know why but I am having the toughest time doing this... I have 1.1.3 ipod touch, and a OS X 10.5.1, with itunes 7.6 > downgraded to 7.5 it still does not work when I use the option to downgrade to 1.1.1 I get an unknown error(1). but my ipod is on the recovery mode as it shows the cable screen pointing to the itunes icon.

I'm using iTunes 7.6... no need to downgrade iTunes... that just might make it worse. Did you make sure you had your iPod plugged into the computer the whole time? Did you make sure it was on the home screen before you started? Also, if you are stuck in restore mode, try running the latest version of iNdependence and it will kick it out of restore mode. Then try my instructions again and follow them exactly. I hope this helps.

cntrstge

macrumors newbie
Jan 23, 2008
just wondering...

4. Then you can go about your normal downgrade routine by holding down the OPTION key while clicking the "Restore" button and choose the 1.1.1 firmware. (Edit: for PC Users, hold down the SHIFT key while clicking Restore)

Sorry- how exactly is this different from the normal downgrade procedure? I am following the instructions, and they seem like they are exactly what I've been doing to downgrade from 1.1.2 (way back in the day :) ). Problem is it doesn't work for me anymore. By 'logged in to home screen' I assume you mean the summary tab of the ipod sync interface? Am I way off? I'd love for this method to work, I guess I'm missing something though...

TheSpaz

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jun 20, 2005
Sorry- how exactly is this different from the normal downgrade procedure? I am following the instructions, and they seem like they are exactly what I've been doing to downgrade from 1.1.2 (way back in the day :) ). Problem is it doesn't work for me anymore. By 'logged in to home screen' I assume you mean the summary tab of the ipod sync interface? Am I way off? I'd love for this method to work, I guess I'm missing something though...

Home screen meaning the iPod's home screen on the iPod (you know, when you press the home button and you see the icons). It must be plugged into your computer the entire time.

cujoca

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2006
hi, I did everything as you said and i'm into recovery mode, but it wont let me press control into order to get 1.1.1 it says you have to press ok and then restore it. How do I get around this?
Thanks in advance!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.