Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fcbr10

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 4, 2007
Hi, I have an apple tv and i realize that in order to turn it off i hold play/pause, but even when there's no light on, it still gets hot and shows up on my computer's itunes. is there any way i can completely turn it of without removing the power.

eeboarder

macrumors member
Jul 29, 2005
Wyoming
Hi, I have an apple tv and i realize that in order to turn it off i hold play/pause, but even when there's no light on, it still gets hot and shows up on my computer's itunes. is there any way i can completely turn it of without removing the power.

Nope. I hate this as well. Sometimes, the AppleTV just needs a restart. Shouldn't be slowing down your iTunes, however.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
No, that's what I was hoping for.

I think Apple keeps it "on" (and now even more so with Take 2) so like Tivo, it can download stuff while you're not using it (artwork, top iTunes lists).

Most people have it connected to a powerstrip (me) or their receiver and turn that off when you are not using it.

macrumors 68000
Feb 5, 2007

Why, specifically, do you want to turn it off?

fcbr10

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 4, 2007
I want to turn it off because at certain times I dont want it to sync with my computer. Thanks for your help guys

macrumors 68000
Feb 5, 2007
I want to turn it off because at certain times I dont want it to sync with my computer. Thanks for your help guys

I believe there is an option in the iTunes AppleTV control panel to avoid automatic sync. Rather than turning it on and off you could just turn off auto-sync so that you only manually sync it whenever you want.

mwp98223

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2007
Conway Washington

The other reason you might want it truly "off" is that it messes with automatic switchers. I tried to connect my DVR and AppleTV to a component video splitter/switcher to take advantage of the single component HD input on my tv. The switcher is supposed to "auto" switch to the active input device. Since the AppleTV apparently is always "on" it prevents the switcher from working properly. Of course, the DVR apparently creates the same issue b/c even when it is "off" it isn't totally off so that it can record shows when I'm gone and keep the programing information. Moral of the story, the auto switcher won't work.

nbrine

macrumors newbie
Jun 1, 2009

I need to turn it off so it doesn't prevent my MB from opening webpages. My MB (but not other PC or iPhone on my network) cannot open webpages when the ATV is connected to the router. I'm just wondering what the effects of always unplugging the ATV in order to access the internet on my MB will be for the ATV. My guess is nothing but I would like to be sure.

PS if anyone has a fix for the MB airport problem I'd love to hear it. Thanx.

mohanman

macrumors regular
Feb 5, 2007
I use one of those power-saving powerstrips to power up and down my appletv when my tv goes on and off. It works fantastic! No more wasted energy for no reason. The boot up only takes about 20-30 seconds, and the thing is ready to use again. Haven't had a single problem, I've been doing this on both my appletvs for the past 4-5 months.

Mo

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.