Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BWhaler

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 8, 2003
Help Please...

I am trying to manage music and video on my iPhone across multiple Macs. Both Macs are registered to my same account with Apple.

I have read that you can put your iPhone in manual mode and drag music and videos from multiple Macs. In fact, Apple has a technical brief with instructions on it.

So, on my "master mac" which the iPhone music is tied to, I set the iPhone in manual mode. I can drag songs on it from that computer.

But when I plug my iPhone in the office computer, I can't drag songs, the Manual checkbox is not selected, and if I select it, iTunes asks if I want to erase my iPhone and pair it with this library.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks so much for your help.

jimmyroot

macrumors newbie
Nov 7, 2007
Basildon, Essex, UK.
Same problem

Hi BWhaler,

I'm having exactly the same problem. I have my iPhone set to manually manage on one computer, however would like to be able to drag/edit/play songs when plugged into a second; the issue here is that when I connect it to a second comptuer, the Manually manage music and videos option is unticked and when I tick it, it asks me to erase the library and re-sync.

Have you found a solution to this problem by any chance?

Thanks in advance.

javaGuru

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2007
Hi BWhaler,

I'm having exactly the same problem. I have my iPhone set to manually manage on one computer, however would like to be able to drag/edit/play songs when plugged into a second; the issue here is that when I connect it to a second comptuer, the Manually manage music and videos option is unticked and when I tick it, it asks me to erase the library and re-sync.

Have you found a solution to this problem by any chance?

Thanks in advance.

I'm having the same problem. I would like to manually manage my music etc from more than one computer but it's asking me to erase my library and re-sync. I know I was able to manually manage my music from more than one computer on my iPod nano.

ethicalpaul

macrumors newbie
Mar 20, 2008
Same here

I was stoked when I heard about manual management coming to the iphone but it seems like they are only allowing it from one computer at a time.

So it's 1/2 way to where it should be. Come on Steve!

nurali

macrumors newbie
May 3, 2008
Hey guys :)
I got same problem, actually 3 of us (iphone users) experiencing the same thing.. on my own Mac pro check box "manually manage music.." is checked but when i hook it with any other computer iTunes only offers me erase and sync option-SO annoying! I didn't have that problem with my "touch".. I could manage music and videos manually while my mail, contacts and safari bookmarks were still synced..
WHAT TO DO!!!??? :)
P.S. could it be due to the jailbreak method that was used to unlock our iphones? we used "independence"...

bugvince

macrumors newbie
Sep 6, 2008
someone please help

My iPhone 3g is in manually manage music mode. I want to set it back on automatic, but I read that if I do this I will lose all my music that I downloaded to my phone while it was in manual mode. Is there anyway that I can avoid this? If not, can I still sync in manual mode without losing anything?

bugvince

macrumors newbie
Sep 6, 2008
someone please help!!!

My iPhone 3g is in manually manage music mode. I want to set it back on automatic, but I read that if I do this I will lose all my music that I downloaded to my phone while it was in manual mode. Is there anyway that I can avoid this? If not, can I still sync in manual mode without losing anything?

Vidder

macrumors regular
Jan 10, 2008
New Jersey
i see that this last post was in 2008, and I just ran into this problem today. Has anyone figured this out?

My problem is also a littler different.

You are all saying you are trying to manually manage your iPhone on two separate computers...in my case, i just formatted my computer and reinstalled iTunes and now when i click on the check box for "manual management" its asking me to clear and sync with my new reinstalled (and currently empty) iTunes.

Help?

ethicalpaul

macrumors newbie
Mar 20, 2008
i see that this last post was in 2008, and I just ran into this problem today. Has anyone figured this out?

My problem is also a littler different.

You are all saying you are trying to manually manage your iPhone on two separate computers...in my case, i just formatted my computer and reinstalled iTunes and now when i click on the check box for "manual management" its asking me to clear and sync with my new reinstalled (and currently empty) iTunes.

Help?

Hi-
Believe it or not I'm still subscribed to this thread :)

Your problem is a little different. There is no sanctioned way to get music off your phone back into itunes. It is good practice to always have a backup of your music, especially the purchased items.

I have heard years ago that Apple would allow re-download of purchased items in some cases but I think you will have to call them.

I am no longer familiar with any non-sanctioned ways to get music from the phone back onto a computer. Best of luck.

Vidder

macrumors regular
Jan 10, 2008
New Jersey
Hi-
Believe it or not I'm still subscribed to this thread :)

Your problem is a little different. There is no sanctioned way to get music off your phone back into itunes. It is good practice to always have a backup of your music, especially the purchased items.

I have heard years ago that Apple would allow re-download of purchased items in some cases but I think you will have to call them.

I am no longer familiar with any non-sanctioned ways to get music from the phone back onto a computer. Best of luck.

Oh, no. I still have all my music on an external HD. So i didn't lose any music.

My problem is that I have a bunch of smart playlists based off of playcounts, and if i have to clear my ipod and re-add all the music again, i'll lose all the playcounts which will render my playlists pointless.

I believe my iPod thinks its connected to a new computer, (which its not). So I can't check the "manage music manually" check box without it asking me to clear my music and resync.

This is more of a huge annoyance because my playlists took a long time to actually start working effectively due to the play counts.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.