Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers

Old Oct 16, 2003, 01:48 PM   #1
ZildjianKX

So what do you guys think of the Belkin flash card reader?

I'm a little bummed about how big it is and that it takes batteries... besides that, great addon
ZildjianKX is offline   0
Old Oct 16, 2003, 01:49 PM   #2
Rower_CPU
Moderator emeritus

A little clunky sure...but I'll be happy not lugging my PowerBook with me on trips...once I get a new iPod.
Old Oct 16, 2003, 02:21 PM   #3
Le Big Mac
macrumors 68020

It would be nice if it were smaller, but to have a multicard reader requirs a lot of slots. and it's a lot smaller than a laptop. I'm definitely keen on this product.

battteries aren't a huge issue--I'll bet they last a while, and it's better than powering off the ipod, which runs out of juice quickly enough.
Le Big Mac is offline   0
Old Oct 16, 2003, 02:38 PM   #4
CrackedButter
macrumors 68040

I would of fancied it, if it supported xD but alas not alot of people do.

In any case while it would of been a time and weight saver i already have a 16mb card with 128mb.

EDIT: Oh yeah, i have already bought a USB 2.0 card reader anyway that supports xD.

Last edited by CrackedButter; Oct 16, 2003 at 03:26 PM.
CrackedButter is offline   0
Old Oct 16, 2003, 03:23 PM   #5
noel4r
macrumors 6502a

too freaking expensive for a simple card reader
noel4r is offline   0
Old Oct 16, 2003, 04:36 PM   #6
aphexist
macrumors member

Send a message via AIM to aphexist
Quote:
Originally posted by noel4r
too freaking expensive for a simple card reader
Good thing it is not a simple card reader. I'm sure the time and weight savings for professionals and prosumers will easily justify $100.

Also, how could it possibly be any smaller while supporting 6 formats? It is barely larger than the iPod itself.

Great idea and implementation...

Last edited by aphexist; Oct 16, 2003 at 04:40 PM.
aphexist is offline   0
Old Oct 16, 2003, 04:53 PM   #7
chewbaccapits
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to chewbaccapits
I agree aphexist...Multiple formats is keen...I was worried about space (I don't have a digi camera yet) but this would be really balls to get an addition to the camera.
Old Oct 16, 2003, 04:56 PM   #8
CrackedButter
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally posted by aphexist
Also, how could it possibly be any smaller while supporting 6 formats? It is barely larger than the iPod itself.
Well you could remove the batteries and have it be powered by the ipod, that WILL save some space for a start. This is flash memory we are talking about, it cannot be *that* hard to have the ipod power it, i mean Belkin does offer a battery pack as well for the ipob anyway.
Old Oct 16, 2003, 06:05 PM   #9
acj
macrumors 6502

$100 is outragous. I'll stick with a nixvue light. 40 gigs for $380.

Now what would be perfect is something that DID run off the batteries, I mean reading flash doesn't require much power at all. And instead of a multi format reader, how about different single format ones? And for $30.

I'm PO'd, because I was hoping to buy the reader and ditch the Nixvue. But perhaps this is coming in the future.

As typical with my posts, I'll add a side note: There are 4 gig CF cards out now, and 12GB is right around the corner.
acj is offline   0
Old Oct 16, 2003, 07:14 PM   #10
noel4r
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Good thing it is not a simple card reader. I'm sure the time and weight savings for professionals and prosumers will easily justify $100.
not just a simple card reader? well, what else does it do besides read data?
noel4r is offline   0
Old Oct 16, 2003, 08:33 PM   #11
ZildjianKX

Yeah, it is a bit pricey. I think I'll just get 2 x 256 compact flash cards instead for my next vacation.
ZildjianKX is offline   0
Old Oct 16, 2003, 08:55 PM   #12
benixau
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to benixau
Quote:
well hello - i am a prosumer - I AINT GETTING IT.
I can get a lexar 8-in-1 that also does xD, MSPro whilst beign USB2.0 for about $40.
This is for those people with more money than sense - lets see you edit those photos then ...... what? you need a computer to do that!!!! why not just put the on the laptop use a PCCard -> format converter .......
Old Oct 17, 2003, 03:14 AM   #13
CrackedButter
macrumors 68040

I bought the Lexar 8 in 1 as well.
Old Oct 17, 2003, 03:22 AM   #14
benixau
macrumors 65816

the lexar is nice. i wil be getting it soon when my mom gets a DC. I already have one but she is going overseas and doesn't know CF from MS or xD. So I will get her some cards (cause she wont have access to a computer either) and the reader at the same time for a discount.
Old Oct 17, 2003, 04:49 AM   #15
aphexist
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally posted by benixau
well hello - i am a prosumer - I AINT GETTING IT.
I can get a lexar 8-in-1 that also does xD, MSPro whilst beign USB2.0 for about $40.
This is for those people with more money than sense - lets see you edit those photos then ...... what? you need a computer to do that!!!! why not just put the on the laptop use a PCCard -> format converter .......
Fair enough. I didn't even think about using my lexar 8-in-1 to download my photos to my iPod. Oh, wait...it can't do that. Also, if your intention is to edit photos, then you are looking at the wrong device. This is a specialized device that will be extremely useful for some people (i.e. photographers who need to dump large amounts of photos to free mem cards).

I'm just going to paste in my post from another forum:

I think all the comments regarding the card reader, such as "I would rather just plug into my powerbook" aren't very well thought out. This is a device that is not much larger than the iPod itself, reads 6 formats of digital media, and is self-powered.

I am not a pro photographer, but I bring my camera with me quite a bit. Can you imagine having to open up even a 12" Powerbook and prop it up on something and navigate the download process while:

-in the rain
-at a sports event
-while walking
-while standing on a ladder or riser
-when your laptop is low on batteries and you are out of memory cards

Just think about it.
aphexist is offline   0
Old Oct 17, 2003, 04:52 AM   #16
aphexist
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally posted by noel4r
not just a simple card reader? well, what else does it do besides read data?
Is this a trick question? It stores it on an iPod. I'm pretty sure that is the MAIN selling point for this.
aphexist is offline   0
Old Oct 17, 2003, 04:53 AM   #17
szark
macrumors Demi-God

I think the design could have been much better -- would it have been so difficult to have the iPod "docked" to the top of the unit instead of using that silly retracting cable?
Old Oct 17, 2003, 05:08 AM   #18
Golem
macrumors 6502

Its has its uses and while it could be a bit smaller and more convienient I sure was wishing for 1 last year. 10 day trip which included my sisters wedding and by 2/3 of the way throught it I had a half full 20G ipod but all 3 of my cards for my camera were full and I sure wished I could transfer 1 onto the other.

Mind you I only have a second gen ipod anyway and it will probably be 4th gen before I can justify replacing it
Golem is offline   0
Old Oct 17, 2003, 07:45 AM   #19
benixau
macrumors 65816

actually, for some people (who cant afford a laptop + card-reader) it is an ok device.

what it should have done IMO is to have the ipod sti on top of it - like an iPaq sleeve or whatever with the dickconnector at the bottom and the actual reader behind the ipod - this way itcould have been a little skinnier and people could have (theorectically) left it attached most of the time whilst on the road.

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers