Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Mac and PC Games

Old Jan 23, 2008, 01:35 PM   #1
m1ss1ontomars
macrumors 6502

StarCraft & Leopard firewall

Leopard's firewall apparently modifies applications when you tell it to "allow" network connections. For example, in StarCraft, when you first try to log on to Battle.net after an update (for me, I just updated to 1.15.2, the no-cd version), StarCraft will complain that port 6112 is not open (which it should not be), but you can still log on to Battle.net and chat but not play games.

Mac OS X will then ask you if you want to deny or allow network connections. If you click allow, it will append data to "Starcraft (Carbon)" starting at offset 155fe9, causing Starcraft to fail all further login checks for Battle.net. Battle.net checks your application to prevent cheating; the first time you are still able to log in because you're already in Battle.net by the time the data is appended. After that, Starcraft is 1.7 MB rather than 1.6 MB (actually only 8 KB have been added I think), so your application version can no longer be properly identified.

Basically, Leopard's firewall is corrupting at least Starcraft, which is one of the worst possible apps to corrupt, due to Blizzard's anti-cheating mechanisms. I think the appended data just allows Mac OS X to recognize it as an allowed app.

Honestly, Apple, this had better be fixed in 10.5.2 or I'm going to be pissed at this supposedly "improved" firewall. Because it's not improved; it seriously sucks some major ass.
m1ss1ontomars is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2008, 02:59 PM   #2
m1ss1ontomars
macrumors 6502

OK, so I was right, as listed here.

http://lists.apple.com/archives/appl.../msg00007.html

Quote:
Since that would really have ruined third party developers' Leopard experience, we don't do that in Leopard (except for the Parental Controls and firewall cases, where we surreptitiously sign unsigned programs when they are "enabled" to run).
This surreptitious signing needs to stop, as it is neither surreptitious nor beneficial. The signing is supposed to reveal modifications to the programs, but instead cause them to be modified themselves. There are other ways to ensure programs haven't been modified since I allowed them to connect to the internet, ways which don't modify the program itself.
Old Mar 26, 2008, 02:19 PM   #3
m1ss1ontomars
macrumors 6502

Bump. Doesn't anyone else find this at least a minor problem?
Old Mar 26, 2008, 06:25 PM   #4
theLimit
macrumors 6502a

The Leopard firewall was supposedly changed to not modify programs anymore. It also used to kill Skype and World of Warcraft, which works now.
theLimit is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2009, 09:24 PM   #5
Flyinfart
macrumors newbie

I currently have version 10.5.6 and it started acting up about a week ago. It worked just fine but seemingly randomly stopped letting me join/host games over battle.net (hamachi included). Nothing new has been added to the computer, no updates, no new installs, it just stopped working. Exact same problem it sounds like though. I'm going to try some general troubleshooting and get back to this thread, hopefully something will work.
Since the problem, I've already enabled the port and given the game full access to any port and connection it wants to make (honestly, sounds like a bad idea to me but I trust Blizzard enough...).
Tried a reinstallation as well, but hasn't worked. Shame. Either our ISPs are the problem, or Starcraft just just decided to simultaneously hate a handful of Mac users. Blame the machine spirit.

Last edited by Flyinfart; Mar 16, 2009 at 09:52 PM.
Flyinfart is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2009, 04:16 AM   #6
Miharu
macrumors 6502

I've been using the Leopard firewall for some time now, but it's pretty annoying. It asks every single time if I wish to allow a program to accept network transmissions when I launch them, even if I put each application manually into the list of allowed applications. Is this supposed to be normal?
Miharu is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2009, 06:56 AM   #7
imassents
macrumors 6502

Yes that is normal behaviour for it, one reason why I turned it off.
imassents is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Mac and PC Games