Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ATLvacilando

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 23, 2008
Atlanta, GA
I've got a G4 iBook that came in because the user thought the battery was dead. I tried the usual fixes, PMU, NVRAM, PRAM, different power adapter, etc. When I ran some tests (Coconut Battery) to see if the above worked, I found that the problem wasn't the battery (it still has 3888 mAh out of 4400).

The symptom: The AC light alternates between green and amber even though the battery is only at 18% charge. It will stay amber for about 45 seconds then switch to green, vice-versa. It has been plugged in now for 2 hours + and has gone from 16% to 18%, so it does seem to be charging...

I have adjusted the power saver so that the machine doesn't go to sleep or have the display dim as I thought sleep mode may have something to do with it.

Any ideas?

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Does it look like there could be anything caught in the little power socket on the iBook? Some lint or dust could be impeding the connection.

ATLvacilando

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 23, 2008
Atlanta, GA
Does it look like there could be anything caught in the little power socket on the iBook? Some lint or dust could be impeding the connection.

Great idea! I took a look and blew out the socket with compressed air. No luck.

Thanks for the quick response!!

Fezzasus

macrumors regular
Jan 24, 2008
My iBook's adaptor needed a fair bit of force to push it in, I would be surprised if the owner has managed to lift the connector up from the PCB. The connections will need to be resoldered.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.