Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion

Old Jan 24, 2008, 12:22 AM   #1
MacBytes
macrumors bot

1960s Braun Products Hold the Secrets to Apple's Future

Category: Apple Hardware
Link: 1960s Braun Products Hold the Secrets to Apple's Future
Description:: none

Posted on MacBytes.com
Approved by Mudbug
MacBytes is offline   0
Old Jan 24, 2008, 12:31 AM   #2
mac 2005
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by David G. View Post
Umm, okay.
I think the visual similarity, in a number of occasions, is quite striking. Rather than being confused or confessing a poverty of imagination, I'm reminded of the time-honored saying: What's old is new again.
Old Jan 24, 2008, 12:46 AM   #3
David G.
macrumors 6502a

Yeah, i understand that some of the old designs look very similar to designs Apple has now or have had in the recent past. But still, to believe that Braun's past designs are influencing Apple's current product designs is an insult to Ive's intelligence.
David G. is offline   0
Old Jan 24, 2008, 06:20 AM   #4
Belly-laughs
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to Belly-laughs
Quote:
Originally Posted by David G. View Post
Yeah, i understand that some of the old designs look very similar to designs Apple has now or have had in the recent past. But still, to believe that Braun's past designs are influencing Apple's current product designs is an insult to Ive's intelligence.
Why? You donīt think contemporary high-flyers in the world of design take inspiration from the old masters? That they are uninspired by the past?

Many product designers hold Dieter Ram as one of the best. The notion of Ive working by (parts of) his principles in design is totally believable.
Belly-laughs is offline   0
Old Jan 24, 2008, 06:34 AM   #5
skyrider007
macrumors 65816

Ive is a copy cat! Just kidding, I'm sure he's "influenced" by Braun's design.
Old Jan 24, 2008, 10:52 AM   #6
cwt1nospam
macrumors 6502

Q: Why does a Russian Mig fighter look like a US F15?
A: Because there are only so many shapes that will work for any given product, and swept wings with dual engines and dual rudders provide the best function for a fighter.

The iMac is a computer. A speaker is a speaker. Comparing their shapes as design is disingenuous. Design is form and function.
cwt1nospam is offline   0
Old Jan 24, 2008, 11:38 AM   #7
IJ Reilly
macrumors P6

Interesting, but I think the real similarity is not in superficial comparisons, but in their design philosophy, a philosophy shared by many modern designers.

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion