Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kksf1481

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 24, 2008
Hey everyone,

Please, if y'all are kind enough to respond to this, can you keep it in baby language. I have very, very poor knowledge of the world of technology, and jargon will only confuse me! Step by step would really help.

I have a PC I need to reinstall windows xp on, so i downloaded a torrent copy of xp from the net ( i know it's illegal, but i had a licensed copy, and my horrible ex decided to take it when he left, so i don't feel so bad ) onto my mac. I expanded the .rar file, and was left with three icons. one says image.img and has a little pic of the harddrive on it, and has about 650 MB of info. the other two are small (4kb and 24 MB), and just show a blank page icon, and say image.ccd and image.sub

Now, I assume I need to get those files onto a c.d, which when inserted intomy P.C will automatically begin the install process on my P.C.

I have absolutely no clue where to begin, and after reading lots of info on the web I'm lost. People have spoken about converting, streaming, .cdr files, .iso files, using disk utility, etc.

All this is GREEK to me. I really need it broken down to baby bites y'all.

Can anyone please help me sort this particular problem out? I'll be forever in debt to y'all.

Tammy
x

Substanz

macrumors newbie
Mar 19, 2005
Did you ever find an answer for this post? I'm actually in the same situation. Any help would certainly be appreciated.

bradenwh

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2008
Honestly.
This person had a genuine copy of XP. Is it really piracy? Sheesh.
I bet all of you would do the exact same thing if you were in the situation.

People need to not be so quick to judge.

sidewinder

macrumors 68020
Dec 10, 2008
Northern California
Honestly.
This person had a genuine copy of XP. Is it really piracy? Sheesh.
I bet all of you would do the exact same thing if you were in the situation.

People need to not be so quick to judge.
Did she? Or did her ex own it? If it was my copy of Windows XP, and I was using it, I wouldn't let my ex walk off with it. Would you?

The bottom line is she is not in possession of the software or the key. Downloading a hacked version from torrent is not the answer. That is piracy no matter how you slice it.

S-

Matek

macrumors 6502a
Jun 6, 2007
It's still piracy by any reasonable definition. There's no way to verify the story. We're not supposed to help people pirate software, even if it's not OSx.
Don't be so harsh, guys. If the guy owns a license and lost his physical media, he didn't rob Microsoft of their money by downloading XP. Sure there's no way of verifying the story, but you can apply that logic to everyone asking questions on the forum, even the ones who claim they have legal copies. We usually give them the benefit of the doubt.

What you got on your hands is a CD image in a format OS X isn't too fond of. Converting it to something usable might be a bit of a hassle for you, since you said you aren't too tech-savvy, so I recommend finding another torrent and getting Windows XP in an .iso image -- you can burn that on OS X without problems.

Loccy

macrumors member
Jan 5, 2009
Did she? Or did her ex own it? If it was my copy of Windows XP, and I was using it, I wouldn't let my ex walk off with it. Would you?

Oh, right. So slap bang in the middle of what one suspects was an acrimonious relationship breakup, you'd actually say "oh yeah, and my copy of XP, make sure you leave it here. Along with sorting custody of the kids. And selling the house and divvying the proceeds. Because XP is THAT important."

I'm a long-time lurker on this forum, post less often, but all over this board in different areas it strikes me how bloody holier-than-thou some of the people are on here. I don't know any other forum around t'interweb where people are quite so precious and quick to judge.

sidewinder

macrumors 68020
Dec 10, 2008
Northern California
Loccy,

The plain fact is that none of that matters. She needs to be in possession of a valid Window XP license that no one else is using. Just because she used to have a copy does not justify her downloading a DRM-free hacked version and running it. And it certainly doesn't justify anyone here helping her do that.

She should have her brother, father, or male friend contact her ex and get the software back if he took it if it was not his and without permission.

S-

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
Regardless of the legitimacy of the ownership I'm trying to figure out why a person would even want to install XP.

disk utilities> burn> select .iso> put in DVD> burn.

econoline06

macrumors 6502
Aug 20, 2008
Regardless of the legitimacy of the ownership I'm trying to figure out why a person would even want to install XP.

disk utilities> burn> select .iso> put in DVD> burn.

There is no ".iso" option. You need to select "DVD/CD master".

Its none of your business why they want to. They just want to or need to, end of story. Just help them if you know how or be quiet.

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
There is no ".iso" option. You need to select "DVD/CD master".

In OSX Leopard you can burn .iso images all day long. I know I do it at least 5 times a week.

and for a newbie you should learn some manners.;).

After doing this just stick it in your PeeCee and it boots. Very simple.

[edit]

The same goes for a *.dmg image
[/edit]

Attachments

• step1.jpg
    step1.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 584
  • step2.jpg
    step2.jpg
    140.6 KB · Views: 716
  • step3.jpg
    step3.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 542
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.