Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

landrew4

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 24, 2008
Ideas kicking around my company for two accessories that would make the MacBook Air viable for us.

Bluetooth WAN module: A small device that could stay in your case/pocket/purse/etc. that connects to Laptop with bluetooth and to the WAN network of your choice. (Obviously a phone could be used for this, but a dedicated module would be smaller, more power efficient, and more reliable). We suggested that it charge USB (and maybe use USB as an optional connect instead of Bluetooth) This would solve the WAN issue without committing the MacBook air to a particular carrier or having to have a USB dongle half the weight of the Air hanging off the side.

Pancake External Battery: A very thin external battery (no more than a single-subject spiral notebook) that could be stuck in with your papers that has a mag-safe connector (for either charging or connecting to a laptop to power it when internal battery runs low). Depending on form factor, even our MBP users liked this idea over the lumpier spare battery they now have.

Thoughts? Comments? Manufacturers?

clayj

macrumors 604
Jan 14, 2005
visiting from downstream
The external battery option has merit. One suggestion I would make for it, though, is that it have a cord of 1 to 2 meters connecting it to the MBA's MagSafe port, so that you could put the battery next to you... nothing is worse than an external device with a cord that's so short you have to balance the device on your leg.

And as long as you're making it external, the capacity should be increased to something like 8 to 10 hours. It would add some weight to the battery pack, but if you're already committed to carrying it around, an extra half-pound of weight shouldn't bother you.

landrew4

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 24, 2008
I had been envisioning the battery having a magsafe connector just like on a laptop (so you could use standard charger to recharge) and then a 3-4' cord with a magsafe connector on each end for connecting the battery to the laptop (long enough so the battery could stay in your bag (under the seat in front of you on a plane) and still reach the laptop on your lap.

iW00t

macrumors 68040
Nov 7, 2006
Defenders of Apple Guild
I had been envisioning the battery having a magsafe connector just like on a laptop (so you could use standard charger to recharge) and then a 3-4' cord with a magsafe connector on each end for connecting the battery to the laptop (long enough so the battery could stay in your bag (under the seat in front of you on a plane) and still reach the laptop on your lap.

You need a license to use Apple's magsafe connector. Unless you are thinking of making it have a DC-AC transformer and connecting to the existing AC adapter...

ajaidev

macrumors member
Jan 24, 2008
3G usb will not work as it touches the upper part of the shell and u have to really push it in to the usb port.. i tried useing a reliance 3G doulge!!!:eek:

landrew4

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 24, 2008
You need a license to use Apple's magsafe connector. Unless you are thinking of making it have a DC-AC transformer and connecting to the existing AC adapter...

To clarify: My company is a consulting company - we can't make either of these. I was just floating the ideas that came up in my company to see what others thought. I leave it to Apple or someone Apple licenses (for the external battery using magsafe), or someone like Sierra Wireless for the Bluetooth/WAN module. (so no risk of Jail... :) )

LeviG

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2006
Norfolk, UK
To clarify: My company is a consulting company - we can't make either of these. I was just floating the ideas that came up in my company to see what others thought. I leave it to Apple or someone Apple licenses (for the external battery using magsafe), or someone like Sierra Wireless for the Bluetooth/WAN module. (so no risk of Jail... :) )

ah right so you can then go an pitch the idea to a company for money :rolleyes:

Besides who would want 'another' wireless device, most phones have bluetooth and with the right package can do everything that your bt dongle can do.

As for the external battery I suggested that ages ago when the initial discussions were going on and many other people have been on about the same idea. The battery issue is the magsafe patents plus it could look ugly

serendipity0213

macrumors newbie
Feb 17, 2008
wireless connections

Hello,
I am new to the forum and have had my MBA for about a week. I do adore it. For years I have been using a wireless modem, and this works perfectly on MBA. I am using a Verizon UM150 which goes into the usb port. It is broadband, very fast and costs $59/month for unlimited access. It has a different number from my cell phone and has worked in remote areas and all of the country. I have had great business success because of this. There is a new one the USB727 which is even smaller and includes removable memory. The only thing better I could imagine is if it were possible to use this without plugging it in. ALso one of the battery companies has told me they will have an external battery that works with MBA in about a week.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.