Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eddietr

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2006
Virginia
My U727 actually came with the extension cable. So no need to even pay the $5.

But that is a little disappointing, because it's less neat with the cable. And I use the 727 every day practically.

island

macrumors 6502
Feb 19, 2007
Nashville
Now this crap is going to piss me off...

EDIT: actually, my AT&T USB modem will fit just fine, checked it out, phew!

ahaxton

macrumors 6502a
Jan 17, 2008
Sprint? pfff who the heck would use them except someone out in some rural community.

PDE

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2005
I'm sorry, but I can't agree with anybody defending a design that makes it difficult to use common peripherals. It's the same stupidity with the iphone headset jack - it annoys me to no end that Apple forces everybody to get new equipment to fit their rather arbitrary design decisions. I understand that they wanted thinness above all and that with the design they had to think of a new way to have the rather large USB ports, but surely there must have been an alternative? It's a clear example of allowing an obsession (thinness) to override all other considerations.

TanToday

macrumors member
Aug 23, 2007
USBG-AAE2C.jpg

$3 - 24inches.

Yep, time to kill off the Macbook Air.....insurmountable problem here....

NOT.

Actually, EVERYONE should use one of these, the way ANYTHING rigid sticks out of ANY USB port, it is only asking for a bump to break the connector INSIDE the machine, with a small cable it is flexible and bends, not ruins your $2grand toy if you hit it.

MacsAttack

macrumors 6502a
Jul 2, 2006
Scotland
Don't see the problem.

Teratec DTV receiver - used a usb cable.
Mouse - usb cable (use a wireless one most of the time anyway)
Various USB pens - fit any USB socket - apart from the cheepo chunky one the company provided - which needs a cable to work with most anything.
Printer - usb cable
Hard Drives - usb cable
Lighwave dongle - fits fine

This is just somebody going out of their way to find fault. I bet that thing is useless if on anything with two USB sockets - it will block the adjacent one - unless you use a USB cable...

ccantrell

macrumors newbie
Jan 3, 2006
It is a little disappointing you have to use the extension cable but not a deal breaker. It is probably a little safer like mentioned earlier.

After looking that the pulldown ports, if Apple would have put the USB port on the back (swapped with the video port), it would probably fit fine. The U727 is just so slightly larger and with the "tapering" of the MBA, the area towards the back gives a little more room. Oh well .. just another cable to add to the bag.

Cheers,
-chris

RicAlonso

macrumors newbie
Feb 5, 2008
Hopefully some 3rd party company will come out with a special bag to hold everything you need to travel with the MBA:

USB Hub, preferably battery powered

USB extension cable

USB Ethernet dongle

USB HDD to hold all of those photos/music/video that Apple has been telling us to buy from iTunes.

3g wireless cellphone modem since it's not built in like many ultraportables

3rd Party external battery and charger for when you travel more than 3 hours and actually work.

Apple power adapter

DVI adapter

Belkin and others, are you ready?

eddietr

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2006
Virginia
BTW, I've been using the short Belkin USB flexible adaptor with my U727 on my MBA today and it is perfect.

I have the modem facing away from me, parallel to the edge of the MBA case.

I think a heavier modem would pull the adapter down with it. But the U727 is light enough that this doesn't happen.

clayj

macrumors 604
Jan 14, 2005
visiting from downstream
Hopefully some 3rd party company will come out with a special bag to hold everything you need to travel with the MBA:

USB Hub, preferably battery powered

USB extension cable

USB Ethernet dongle

USB HDD to hold all of those photos/music/video that Apple has been telling us to buy from iTunes.

3g wireless cellphone modem since it's not built in like many ultraportables

3rd Party external battery and charger for when you travel more than 3 hours and actually work.

Apple power adapter

DVI adapter

Belkin and others, are you ready?
Nice, subtle trolling there. Congrats.

TEG

macrumors 604
Jan 21, 2002
Langley, Washington
They used the worst 3G modem for this test. The Sierra Wireless Cards (which are available for the big 4 in the US) all have flip out USB connectors, instead of the molded USB connector on the bulky modem they used for the test.

Seriously, people will always find something new to complain about.

TEG

Mactagonist

macrumors 65816
Feb 5, 2008
NYC - Manhattan
They used the worst 3G modem for this test. The Sierra Wireless Cards (which are available for the big 4 in the US) all have flip out USB connectors, instead of the molded USB connector on the bulky modem they used for the test.

Seriously, people will always find something new to complain about.

TEG

The Ovation U727 is the best USB CDMA modem on the market. It is also one of the smallest. There is no sinister plot here. Just 2 designs that dont work together perfectly.

The U727 comes with a cable, a clip to hook onto the back of the screen and a bag to carry everything in. Use those and it works great.

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
I'm sorry, but I can't agree with anybody defending a design that makes it difficult to use common peripherals. It's the same stupidity with the iphone headset jack - it annoys me to no end that Apple forces everybody to get new equipment to fit their rather arbitrary design decisions. I understand that they wanted thinness above all and that with the design they had to think of a new way to have the rather large USB ports, but surely there must have been an alternative? It's a clear example of allowing an obsession (thinness) to override all other considerations.

Sure they are, NOT.

USBG-AAE2C.jpg

$3 - 24inches.

Yep, time to kill off the Macbook Air.....insurmountable problem here....

NOT.

Actually, EVERYONE should use one of these, the way ANYTHING rigid sticks out of ANY USB port, it is only asking for a bump to break the connector INSIDE the machine, with a small cable it is flexible and bends, not ruins your $2grand toy if you hit it.

Exactly.

eerac

macrumors newbie
Feb 5, 2008

TEG

macrumors 604
Jan 21, 2002
Langley, Washington
The Ovation U727 is the best USB CDMA modem on the market. It is also one of the smallest. There is no sinister plot here. Just 2 designs that dont work together perfectly.

The U727 comes with a cable, a clip to hook onto the back of the screen and a bag to carry everything in. Use those and it works great.

I was just saying that the flip out port works with no problems. Also, all 3G is CDMA, just based on different standards (CDMA = Code Division Multiple Access). CDMA-2000 is the 3G version of 2G CDMA, W-CDMA is the 3G chosen by most GSM systems.

TEG

gglockner

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2007
Bellevue, WA
The Radio Shack adaptor looks perfect but it seems they don't have it anymore. Any suggestions for something similar? I have an extension cable but it's bulky to carry around.

jhgnag

macrumors newbie
Mar 26, 2010
AT&T Lightning

I got a new AT&T Lightning. Fits perfectly. When on a desk, it works better if you lay it down. Performance seems very good to me as well.

Scottsdale

Suspended
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
The Radio Shack adaptor looks perfect but it seems they don't have it anymore. Any suggestions for something similar? I have an extension cable but it's bulky to carry around.

Ok, so you're telling someone that mentioned this in February 2008 that it looks perfect... and now two years later nobody carries it... talk about waking a thread from the dead. How about look at Amazon.com? They have many things like this with ratings.

gglockner

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2007
Bellevue, WA
No need to be rude.

I did a search and found this thread. I searched for the suggested product but it was out of production. I checked Amazon but no one commented as to whether such a product was appropriate for the MacBook Air. Besides which, I didn't want to deal with shipping for an $8-10 item.

In any event, I just went to Fry's and found the Belkin F3U134vFLEX. It works great. So for anyone else in this situation, I recommend this.

http://www.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Product_Id=250761

Scottsdale

Suspended
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
No need to be rude.

I did a search and found this thread. I searched for the suggested product but it was out of production. I checked Amazon but no one commented as to whether such a product was appropriate for the MacBook Air. Besides which, I didn't want to deal with shipping for an $8-10 item.

In any event, I just went to Fry's and found the Belkin F3U134vFLEX. It works great. So for anyone else in this situation, I recommend this.

http://www.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Product_Id=250761

Sorry, didn't mean to be rude. Just in shock that a two year old thread was still relevant, but then again it wasn't. Congrats on finding a solution.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.