Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting

Old Jan 24, 2008, 02:30 PM   #1
CKtoph
macrumors 6502

iPhone deleting email from server

Hi all,

I use gmail, and before the update I had my settings adjusted so that even when I delete email from my phone, it remains on my gmail account in the inbox.

Since the update however, no matter how I adjust the settings, it sends my deleted email to the trash. I even set up another email account with the "Other" setting to see if my adjustments options change, and no matter what, my email would still be sent to Gmail's "Trash" when I delete messages from my iPhone.

Is this a glitch? Anyone else have this issue? I like having backups of my email on the gmail server "Inbox" even after I may delete them from my iPhone.
Old Jan 24, 2008, 02:33 PM   #2
dakotaiphone
macrumors newbie

The update actually is supposed to send it to the trash. I am not sure (as I haven't tried it myself) but if you set it up in the "other" section on the account set-up scree then it moves your mail to a folder named trash, not the real trash.

See here:
http://mail.google.com/support/bin/a...02&topic=12814
dakotaiphone is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2008, 02:55 PM   #3
CKtoph
macrumors 6502

I actually did try setting it up in both the Gmail option as well as the Other option, and it is still sending my emails to the 'Trash' when deleted on my iPhone.

The tutorial on gmail's site mentions an archive option when tapping the 'Trash' symbol, but it gives me no such option
Old Jan 24, 2008, 03:21 PM   #4
dakotaiphone
macrumors newbie

Okay try this: in the mail settings, tap on accounts, select the gmail account, tap on advanced and change the deleted mailbox to something other than trash. You may have to log into gmail and create another folder, but in that location on the iphone settings you can change where the trash goes.
dakotaiphone is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2008, 04:15 PM   #5
rjohnstone
macrumors 68030

Not a glitch...
GMail is using the IMAP protocol now instead of POP3.
Any action you perform on your iPhone is duplicated on the GMail system.
So if you delete it on your iPhone, it gets deleted in GMail.

Here's how ya put it back...
Go into Settings in GMail from the web and then go to the "Forwarding and POP/IMAP" tab.
Disable IMAP access and enable POP (your choice as to which method)
Leave 2. When messages are accessed with POP to "Keep GMail's copy in the Inbox".
Now go into your iPhone and delete your GMail account settings.
Set up "Other" and configure as POP3 account using GMails POP and SMTP settings.
Here's the link to the settings...
https://mail.google.com/support/bin/...y?answer=72454

I actually prefer the IMAP setup myself. Now I don't have to go and cleanup my GMail account twice.
rjohnstone is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting