Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CKtoph

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 22, 2007
Hi all,

I use gmail, and before the update I had my settings adjusted so that even when I delete email from my phone, it remains on my gmail account in the inbox.

Since the update however, no matter how I adjust the settings, it sends my deleted email to the trash. I even set up another email account with the "Other" setting to see if my adjustments options change, and no matter what, my email would still be sent to Gmail's "Trash" when I delete messages from my iPhone.

Is this a glitch? Anyone else have this issue? I like having backups of my email on the gmail server "Inbox" even after I may delete them from my iPhone. :confused:

CKtoph

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 22, 2007
I actually did try setting it up in both the Gmail option as well as the Other option, and it is still sending my emails to the 'Trash' when deleted on my iPhone.

The tutorial on gmail's site mentions an archive option when tapping the 'Trash' symbol, but it gives me no such option :confused:

dakotaiphone

macrumors newbie
Jan 24, 2008
Okay try this: in the mail settings, tap on accounts, select the gmail account, tap on advanced and change the deleted mailbox to something other than trash. You may have to log into gmail and create another folder, but in that location on the iphone settings you can change where the trash goes.

rjohnstone

macrumors 68040
Dec 28, 2007
PHX, AZ.
Not a glitch...
GMail is using the IMAP protocol now instead of POP3.
Any action you perform on your iPhone is duplicated on the GMail system.
So if you delete it on your iPhone, it gets deleted in GMail.

Here's how ya put it back...
Go into Settings in GMail from the web and then go to the "Forwarding and POP/IMAP" tab.
Disable IMAP access and enable POP (your choice as to which method)
Leave 2. When messages are accessed with POP to "Keep GMail's copy in the Inbox".
Now go into your iPhone and delete your GMail account settings.
Set up "Other" and configure as POP3 account using GMails POP and SMTP settings.
Here's the link to the settings...
https://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=72454

I actually prefer the IMAP setup myself. Now I don't have to go and cleanup my GMail account twice.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.