Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Old Jan 24, 2008, 05:13 PM   #1
hoyaspook
macrumors member

Macbook Air benchmarks

Here they are, courtesy of Engadget:

http://www.engadget.com/2008/01/24/f...machine-on-th/

There's a lot of vitriol on the boards and not enough analysis. What do the benchmarks actually mean, for real world use? I'm quite torn between waiting for the MBP update and pulling the trigger on a MBA.
hoyaspook is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2008, 05:43 PM   #2
djinn
macrumors 65816

I have a hard time with people deciding between a MBP and a MBA. Total opposites! You guys that are trying to decide between these need to really think what you are going to use this laptop for. New is cool but sometimes you can shoot yourself in the foot.
Old Jan 24, 2008, 05:44 PM   #3
Catch
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoyaspook View Post
Here they are, courtesy of Engadget:

http://www.engadget.com/2008/01/24/f...machine-on-th/

There's a lot of vitriol on the boards and not enough analysis. What do the benchmarks actually mean, for real world use? I'm quite torn between waiting for the MBP update and pulling the trigger on a MBA.
Personally I was not expecting the MBA to be that capable. The 1.8 with SSD should be a really impressive performer!

Regards,

C

Mac Mini Music Server | Audio Research DAC 8 | C2300 Pre | MC275 Power x 2 | A.R.T. Deco 10
Catch is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2008, 05:46 PM   #4
MacRumorUser
macrumors Demi-God

Madness isn't it. If you want raw power in a laptop get the MBP simple. The MBA isn't meant to be a powerhorse desktop replacement When will people just 'cop on'
MacRumorUser is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2008, 06:16 PM   #5
aiongiant
macrumors 6502a

http://gizmodo.com/348733/first-macbook-air-benchmarks

more of a real world test
interesting result..

pretty obvious the air won't be as fast especially comparing cpus a 1.6 ghz cant get as fast as a 2+ghz thats just common sense

but it's nice to know it's not "THAT" slow lol and not too far off from the macbooks
aiongiant is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2008, 06:47 PM   #6
hoyaspook
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by djinn View Post
I have a hard time with people deciding between a MBP and a MBA. Total opposites! You guys that are trying to decide between these need to really think what you are going to use this laptop for. New is cool but sometimes you can shoot yourself in the foot.
What can I say? I'm a sucker for magnetic latches and back-lit keyboards.
Old Jan 24, 2008, 07:56 PM   #7
ahaxton
macrumors 6502a

I don't know why you would have a hard time seeing why people would be deciding between a MBA and MBP. Well its brought on another choice for someone who doesn't want a MB! Plenty of us who don't want the MB.
Old Jan 24, 2008, 08:03 PM   #8
CaptainCaveMann
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catch View Post
Personally I was not expecting the MBA to be that capable. The 1.8 with SSD should be a really impressive performer!

Regards,

C
Exactly! Let's see how the 1.8 ssd does, then make a decision. People keep going back n forth about it not being a main computer. My 12" iBook g4 1.33ghz with 768mb of ram and a 4200rpm hdd has been my main computer for quite some time. I've made movies on it, pictures, internet, email, microsoft office, all with ease. Granted it's not as fast as I would like.

But for someone like me, a macbook air is ALREADY going to be much faster than what I have. Most of the people crying are ones with MBP's or Macbook's saying oh man this thing is slow blah blah. Well ya, duh! It's slower than your computer, so what. Don't buy it, but it works for some people, and it's benefits to me outweigh what it's lacking.
Old Jan 24, 2008, 09:20 PM   #9
diabolic
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catch View Post
Agreed. It benchmarked better than I thought it would. I am getting the SSD, so I expect even a bit more.
diabolic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2008, 09:23 PM   #10
heatmiser
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by djinn View Post
People deciding between the MBP and the MBA are people who don't need anything more powerful than the 2006 MB, but do want the aluminum shell/LED screen/backlit keys of the 2007 MBP.
Old Jan 24, 2008, 09:25 PM   #11
CaptainCaveMann
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by heatmiser View Post
People deciding between the MBP and the MBA are people who don't need anything more powerful than the 2006 MB, but do want the aluminum shell/LED screen/backlit keys of the 2007 MBP.
That describes me perfect.
Old Jan 24, 2008, 09:28 PM   #12
butterfly0fdoom
macrumors 6502a

So while the MBA is horrendous on benchmarking tests, in real life, it lags by a few seconds? I don't see why everyone's complaining so much. If the results were with the 1.6 and HDD, it's bound to be absolutely stellar with the 1.8 and SSD.
Old Jan 24, 2008, 09:43 PM   #13
wentwj
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by butterfly0fdoom View Post
So while the MBA is horrendous on benchmarking tests, in real life, it lags by a few seconds? I don't see why everyone's complaining so much. If the results were with the 1.6 and HDD, it's bound to be absolutely stellar with the 1.8 and SSD.
Well to be fair a lot of the "few seconds" were on relatively small samples. The moral of the story is, the MBA will be slower if you're doing a lot of things like transcoding video, ect.

Personally I'd like to see a test on a 1.8 non-SSD machine, as thats what I'd be looking for should I decide to get one... and also think it's a more reasonable machine.
wentwj is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2008, 09:47 PM   #14
steve31
macrumors 6502a

wow the 1.8 with 64 GB SSD I ordered should be fast.
4 Galaxy Note/1.4ghz dual=FAST
steve31 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2008, 09:48 PM   #15
ahaxton
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by wentwj View Post
Well to be fair a lot of the "few seconds" were on relatively small samples. The moral of the story is, the MBA will be slower if you're doing a lot of things like transcoding video, ect.

Personally I'd like to see a test on a 1.8 non-SSD machine, as thats what I'd be looking for should I decide to get one... and also think it's a more reasonable machine.

1.6 and 1.8 non-SSD probably isn't that much different.
I think they did a great job on all the new tech they put into the machine. I'm glad to see what I thought when I read about the new tech in the MBA is really panning out.
Old Jan 24, 2008, 11:01 PM   #16
EvryDayImShufln
macrumors 65816

Wow this thing performs pretty damn well! Actually I was even more impressed that the macbook beat the macbook pro in nearly every single test LOL
EvryDayImShufln is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2008, 11:10 PM   #17
Mr. Eko
macrumors member

I'm not a computer wiz, but I do agree that the 1.6 is obviously going to be a little slower (why are people making a big deal out of it?). Is there hope that the SSD 1.8 will be a lot faster? I will be looking for a notebook in June. I will be in uni, and I don't need a 'super fast' book. If money really isn't a prob (trying not to sound so arrogant), would the air be such a bad choice? suggestions?
Mr. Eko is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2008, 11:11 PM   #18
Coatsy
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCaveMann View Post
But for someone like me, a macbook air is ALREADY going to be much faster than what I have. Most of the people crying are ones with MBP's or Macbook's saying oh man this thing is slow blah blah. Well ya, duh! It's slower than your computer, so what. Don't buy it, but it works for some people, and it's benefits to me outweigh what it's lacking.
Like the guy who bought an MBA to replace his PowerMac G5, and wondered why his games didn't run so well on it.
Coatsy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2008, 11:38 PM   #19
tveric
macrumors 6502

Or the guy that just says "MacBook Air sucks!!!" just to get reactions out of people.
tveric is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2008, 02:39 AM   #20
jhande
macrumors 6502

Given the benchmarks (which are adequate unless you need [insert standard requirements]), I'm still surprised at the visceral reactions the MBA provokes -- positive and negative.

The similarity to the original iPod reactions are eerie, and with that in mind, I expect that not only will the MBA be a qualified success in its first iteration, but also have the same kind of impact on the ultraportable market that the iPod had with music players, and the iPhone with cell-phones.

It ain't for me, but I still like it -- a lot.
jhande is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2008, 06:55 AM   #21
em500
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhande View Post
I'm still surprised at the visceral reactions the MBA provokes -- positive and negative.

The similarity to the original iPod reactions are eerie, and with that in mind, I expect that not only will the MBA be a qualified success in its first iteration,
Yeah, but so are its similarities to the Cube, so it could still go either way.
em500 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2008, 07:36 AM   #22
hoyaspook
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCaveMann View Post
Exactly! Let's see how the 1.8 ssd does, then make a decision. People keep going back n forth about it not being a main computer. My 12" iBook g4 1.33ghz with 768mb of ram and a 4200rpm hdd has been my main computer for quite some time. I've made movies on it, pictures, internet, email, microsoft office, all with ease. Granted it's not as fast as I would like.

That's exactly where I am! I have a 17" Powerbook G4 ! Ghz w/ 1GB of ram. There's no where for me to go but up!

Also, more info on actual performance: http://www.macworld.com/article/1318...rst_tests.html

It's definitely faster than the G4, but, honestly, not by much.

Last edited by hoyaspook; Jan 25, 2008 at 07:54 AM.
Old Jan 25, 2008, 09:10 AM   #23
diabolic
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoyaspook View Post
It's also interesting that in the comments the MacWorld reviewer writes that "three pounds instead of five is EXTREMELY noticeable." (emphasis is his).
diabolic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2008, 09:28 AM   #24
Anderson3133
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabolic View Post
Agreed. It benchmarked better than I thought it would. I am getting the SSD, so I expect even a bit more.
For $999 more, let's hope your expecting more
Anderson3133 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2008, 10:40 AM   #25
shahidhaque
macrumors regular

I'm still waiting for another battery test. The newspaper reviewers gave some tests but I'd like to see more confirmation.
shahidhaque is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air