Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

purdueboiler87

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 5, 2005
Clearwater, FL
I just got my new MP on Monday. Seems like every time it goes to sleep it reboots when I wake it up. After searching this forum it seems other people have the same problem. I repaired the disk image and that seemed to help for a couple of days but now it is back to rebooting. Sometimes when I try to wake it up I hear the fans kick on but the screen never appears. Kind of frustrating after waiting forever for the new MP to come out, I have these kinds of problems with it.

On the positive side, with the Raptor boot drive I installed, this thing is up and running in 20 seconds literally.

deathshrub

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2007
Christmas Island
Sounds like a hardware problem. If this was happening to me, I would call Apple at my earliest opportunity and have them document the problem and get a replacement. You paid good money for the machine and you deserve a machine that functions 100%.

Wild-Bill

macrumors 68030
Jan 10, 2007
bleep
That makes three we've heard about....

darthraige just turned his in at the Apple Store for the same exact problem. He also had Safari locking the machine up as well.

Anyhow, they gave him a new one today and he's reporting NO problems so far.

Looks like either a few bad apples rolled off the line, or there is a bigger problem happening here that will take Apple months to fess up to (or not).

I really really hope mine isn't a dud. I've been waiting too damn long for this thing.

Anyhow, take it to the Apple store and have them replace it, ASAP.

Apple quality control FTL.:mad:

deathshrub

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2007
Christmas Island
Wild-Bill, don't anticipate a tragedy. There are of course defective Mac Pros but they are probably a very small percentage of all units shipped. Odds are your machine will function exactly as it was intended.

ErikAndre

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2007
Florida
Well darth had a hard drive issue i believe, and MacWorld also mentioned the hard drives in a benchmark article as being a bit sluggish. I wonder if there's a problem not with the Mac Pro but the actual hard drive that ships with the computer (the 320gb). :confused:

Wild-Bill

macrumors 68030
Jan 10, 2007
bleep
Well darth had a hard drive issue i believe, and MacWorld also mentioned the hard drives in a benchmark article as being a bit sluggish. I wonder if there's a problem not with the Mac Pro but the actual hard drive that ships with the computer (the 320gb). :confused:

No. At first that's what he thought. I believe he swapped drives and still had the same issues. Let's HOPE this is just a few isolated incidents....

zdobson

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2007
Indiana
No. At first that's what he thought. I believe he swapped drives and still had the same issues. Let's HOPE this is just a few isolated incidents....

Keep in mind the people with problems are always much more talkative than the people whose machines work perfectly (like me).

cliffrouse11bas

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2005
I have wrote this on this board like 5 times. I have purchased a new hard drive and I am still having the sleep reboot problem. Lets hope they fix it soon.

Pressure

macrumors 603
May 30, 2006
Denmark
I would have $0 ...

I feel for you guys though, nothing worse than hardware/software that doesn't work as intended!

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
I'm gonna have to go punch some Genius' faces if my MP turns up and starts behaving like this.

Hopefully it's a software thing, although the fact it doesn't happen with everyone is a little worrying...

iBlue

macrumors Core
Mar 17, 2005
London, England
Like it isn't tempting to punch a 'genius' when they're clearly just standing around chatting and have the cheek to insist you make an appointment anyway. What a load of pretentious crap that is. </side note>

Sepharial

macrumors newbie
Jan 12, 2008
I also have this problem (that the mac restart it self after sleep/restart). I wont send away my mac until the update of the system. Feels like a software issue to me.. or i really hope so.

iAmRod

macrumors member
Jul 26, 2006
Like it isn't tempting to punch a 'genius' when they're clearly just standing around chatting and have the cheek to insist you make an appointment anyway. What a load of pretentious crap that is. </side note>

I completely understand the frustration, I really do, but why always with the "violence"? Instead, channel that frustration into say running up to the "pretentious" counter jockey and acting like you've just seen a long-lost friend! Be kinda loud to command attention and just go whacky calling the person a name of someone you might have known as a child. And when things calm down a bit and you both "realize" that you really don't know each other you can still be pleasent and tell 'em you really need help, you've paid a lot of money, etc.. Then see how far you get.

If you just stand there and do nothing to get the attention you're just as much to blame. Plus, just as the old adage says, "You get more flies with sugar than you do with vinegar ... and MUCH less jail time!"

:D

ErikAndre

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2007
Florida
I also have this problem (that the mac restart it self after sleep/restart). I wont send away my mac until the update of the system. Feels like a software issue to me.. or i really hope so.

I think Apple really hopes so too... they probably have a load of support calls on this one and can't afford to replace every one of them if they don't have to. So let's hope that 10.5.2 will address many of these common issues.

iBlue

macrumors Core
Mar 17, 2005
London, England
I completely understand the frustration, I really do, but why always with the "violence"? Instead, channel that frustration into say running up to the "pretentious" counter jockey and acting like you've just seen a long-lost friend! Be kinda loud to command attention and just go whacky calling the person a name of someone you might have known as a child. And when things calm down a bit and you both "realize" that you really don't know each other you can still be pleasent and tell 'em you really need help, you've paid a lot of money, etc.. Then see how far you get.

If you just stand there and do nothing to get the attention you're just as much to blame. Plus, just as the old adage says, "You get more flies with sugar than you do with vinegar ... and MUCH less jail time!"

:D
I'm really unlikely to actually hit someone unless they hit me first. I'm really speaking in a joking/metaphorical/fantasy sense. I'd like to punch someone maybe but it doesn't mean I will. It's a joke, mate.

myalene

macrumors newbie
Jan 25, 2008
I have had my new Mac Pro for a week now and I have not had any reboot on wakeup from sleep. I leave the machine sleeping overnight and wake it up when i get back from work the next day.

It always wakes up in the same state i left it.

One thing is that i have not modified my MP at all. Its just the stock 2.8gz build.

So people having reboot problems what have you added to the base build?

I am planning to add more disks and more ram, am getting worried now.

glhiii

macrumors 6502
Nov 4, 2006
Same Problem

My new MP has the same problem -- reboots when I wake it up. I reset the PRAM and SMC and it worked for a day or so, then the problem returned. It seems to me this is too common to be a hardware issue. I'm going to try booting on the original disk (which I haven't modified yet) and leaving it in sleep to see whether the problem happens then also.

codemancmc

macrumors newbie
Jan 23, 2008
At first I didn't have this issue, but for the past few days it has been happening.

I hope the next Leopard release fixes the issue, though the fact that only a few machines are displaying it indicates to me that it's a hardware issue.

Unfortunately I can't take it to a Genius yet as I'm on a deadline and can't afford to give up my machine right now.

What should I do?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.