Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Old Jan 25, 2008, 03:07 AM   #1
boehm781
macrumors newbie

Cool thinking of buying the macbook air, but certain features make me hesitate

first, i use windows a lot for gaming, and was concerned about the screen size, but i figured if i got the macbook air, i could just buy the 23" cinema display since when i play games, its usually at home.

second, i have a 2.16 core duo mac book pro with 2 gb ram and lots of sofftware. i love it and all except of course the fact that all of my pants have scortch marks on the laps. i have a 120 gb hd which fills fast, but i also (somewhat for nostalgic value use the original 10gb scroll-wheel 1st gen ipod for extra storage), also i have two usb 2.0 maxtor 'one touch iii' 160gb drives. i have a few microdrives, my current favorite is the sony 4gb microvault.

third, i have a $2400 limit on my mac finance account, so with the superdrive, primo macbook air, and with the student discount i'd get i could get it for three bucks under 4K. by the next release of it after the new features are added to piss off the original buyers, i figure i could cover the difference in cash without having to sell my current computer.

now for the questions:

what is the speed difference between the two.. im assuming the new air would be slighly faster because of the solid state hard drive and having a core 2 duo wouldn't hurt, either.

what kind of extra storage does the air support besides having to lug around the other file vault? am i right thinking i could use one of my maxtor drives, so i could basically keep all information i like to have on hand on it or my micro drive. i suppose i could just use bring along a few microdrives..

last question:

was that a rhetorical thread, because i'm feeling like i have no reason not to go ahead and get the mac air, i mean, it is gorgeous, isn't it? plus lugging around a 17" laptop isn't always fun.

well thanks for listening to me babble.

any follow-up or comments would be appreciated.

~ben~
boehm781 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2008, 03:15 AM   #2
Help!
macrumors regular

I dont think the MBA would be a good choice for playing games.
Help! is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2008, 03:20 AM   #3
aiongiant
macrumors 6502a

i dont' think the mba is right for you
for what you said here you can't settle any less than a mbp
aiongiant is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2008, 03:25 AM   #4
skyrider007
macrumors 65816

Don't buy it, it's not suitable for you.
Old Jan 26, 2008, 12:23 AM   #5
boehm781
macrumors newbie

but there's the costant nag

i wish i had my computer with me a whole whole lot.... i just don't bring my mbp because it's so big
boehm781 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2008, 12:26 AM   #6
ahaxton
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by boehm781 View Post
i wish i had my computer with me a whole whole lot.... i just don't bring my mbp because it's so big
That's a huge factor for a lot of us. I know theres been more than a few times when I said forget it to bringing the laptop along with me. Especially with my iPhone I have said ahh if I need the notebook I'll get to it later. Not good for business lol. MBA is something I can easily have anywhere. It's like literally carrying a notebook around, a pretty thin one.
Old Jan 26, 2008, 12:27 AM   #7
heatmiser
macrumors 68020

If you can't live without games but can't live with a 17", sell it for a 15". Gaming as you know it will not exist on the MBA.
Old Jan 26, 2008, 12:30 AM   #8
ahaxton
macrumors 6502a

I guess I don't know gaming very well, but I've played WoW on an iBook. I didn't see any issues. I imagine a MBA would play WoW even better.
Old Jan 26, 2008, 12:43 AM   #9
ViveLeLivre
macrumors regular

If you want to game with a Mac, buy a Mac Pro w/ the 8800 (which is already retrotech) or try to find a last gen (white) iMac 24" with a 7600GT.

Otherwise buy a PC. Macs are ***** for gaming, particularly the laptops, anyone who says otherwise is sniffing Kool-Aid powder.

Last edited by ViveLeLivre; Jan 26, 2008 at 12:58 AM.
ViveLeLivre is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air