Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Macaddict16

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 7, 2002
I have had an iBook for almost a year and it has been in for repair twice for the exact same problem. I know other companies do this but has anyone ever heard of Apple letting you get a new product after so many repairs? It is really pissing me off because last time it took 2 weeks to get my iBook back!

Macaddict16

isd_glory

macrumors member
Oct 17, 2003
Rochester, NY
Yeah, eventually Apple will allow you the chance for a replacement. Its kinda sketchy to argue for a replacement after just two repairs though, even if it is a pretty major repair. Only after the logic board in my iBook 800 died for the *fourth* time did customer support gladly offer me a replacement. I bet I could have argued it at the third failure, but I was definately told by several customer support reps that two failures isnt quite enough.

Another thing to remember if they ever grant a replacement is their "paid upgrade" option. Basically, they'll credit you back for the laptop (without upgrades) and allow you the option to send them a cashier's check so you could get something else. After four logic board failures I no longer trusted the current iBook line, so I sent Apple a big, fat check to upgrade me to a 15" Powerbook. Although, from what I've heard, those are having their issues as well...

-nick

Macaddict16

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 7, 2002
my iBooks display has gone out twice. From what I know about laptop displays they can be pretty pricey. Thanks for the info on the paid upgrade option, just after i bought my iBook is when they releases the 12" PowerBook and I want one of those.

yoda13

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2003
Texas
my iBook has been in three times for a bad logic board. I was told that if it happens again that I would be able to get a new one. So I guess that four is the number

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.