Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RR08EvoX

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 15, 2007
I plan on purchasing a larger hard drive and more ram for my macbook. I know the install is very simple, just want to make sure it doesn't void my warranty. Obviously they won't warranty my new hard drive and ram, but will everything else be covered??

Does anyone know for sure?

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
You're not going to void the warranty of your Macbook by upgrading the RAM or hard drive. I still wonder where users get this bizarre idea. Would you tell me where you did? I'm doing some research on it now since it's a common misconception.

matperk

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2004
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
You're not going to void the warranty of your Macbook by upgrading the RAM or hard drive. I still wonder where users get this bizarre idea. Would you tell me where you did? I'm doing some research on it now since it's a common misconception.

I think it's just a perceived notion that removing any screws would void a warranty. That's the case with most consumer electronic devices, i think.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
I think it's just a perceived notion that removing any screws would void a warranty. That's the case with most consumer electronic devices, i think.
There's actual Apple documentation to upgrade the RAM in the MacBook though. It's a DIY task.

PDE

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2005
Apple has not helped the situation by always making laptops that require major surgery to upgrade the harddrives in. The macbook is the first one that is easily upgraded, but all the others require much more surgery and risk. Apple just states that if you mess something up while upgrading the drive yourself, the warranty won't cover it - fair enough.

As everybody says, ram upgrades have never voided any warranty.

ewxlt

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2008
This is good to know. I just bought my wife a BlackBook to replace her 12" Pbook. It's got 160GB but I can't see needing more...but it's nice to now it's not a headache on this model.

RR08EvoX

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 15, 2007
I'm more concerned about the hard drive upgrade then the ram upgrade. I would like to sell my existing hard drive on ebay to recover some of the costs of the new hard drive. But if for some reason I need to take my computer in for applecare, I want to be 100% sure they will service it with the upgraded hard drive. If anyone has been denied service please let me know. If thats the case I will hold on to the old hard drive just in case.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
You'll want to keep the original hard drive and RAM for warranty purposes. They usually won't service it with third party hardware inside.

gothamm

macrumors 6502a
Nov 18, 2007

The MBP's warranty is voided if you replace the HD. So people are extending that logic to the MB, even though its much harder make the swap on a MBP.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
The MBP's warranty is voided if you replace the HD. So people are extending that logic to the MB, even though its much harder make the swap on a MBP.

No, the warranty is only voided if whatever you do damages the MBP. Opening for example a hard drive _will_ void the warranty, because the fact that you open it is enough to cause damage, but opening a MBP doesn't damage it. That said, I wouldn't feel comfortable swapping the drive on a MBP.

Neil321

macrumors 68040
No, the warranty is only voided if whatever you do damages the MBP. Opening for example a hard drive _will_ void the warranty, because the fact that you open it is enough to cause damage, but opening a MBP doesn't damage it. That said, I wouldn't feel comfortable swapping the drive on a MBP.

Thanks just cleared up what i already said,oh and changing drives
just looks harder than it is

TDM21

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2004

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
I was told the same thing by apple technical. But over HERE people are saying otherwise.

Your thoughts.
Your mileage may vary on how nice your technicians. They might refuse to service your hardware with third party hardware or just not care since the third party hardware is unrelated to the problem.

orpheus1120

macrumors 65816
Jan 23, 2008
Malaysia
However, are they legally allowed NOT to service my system with third-party hardwares present? Looking through my APP contract, it does not state that Apple will not service a system with third-party hardwares.

The only limitations on what the plan does not cover regarding third-party hardwares are these following clauses (I've search through the clauses for anything remotely linked to third-part hardwares):-

1b(ii):Repair converage.
Limitations. The Plan does not cover:

Damage to the Covered Equipment caused by accident, abuse, neglect, misuse (including faulty installation, repair, or maintenance by anyone other than Apple or an Apple Authorized Service Provider), unauthorized modification*, extreme environment (including extreme temperature or humidity), extreme physical or electrical stress or interference, fluctuation or surges of electrical power, lightning, static electricity, fire, acts of God or other external causes;

*installation of RAMs is not considered as unauthorized modification because Apple specifically classified RAMs as user-serviceable. It even lists out the specs of the RAMs for each model (which they won't if they don't want us sourcing the DIMMs for ourselves), and a DIY instruction on installing them.

2b(iii) Technical Support/Limitations.

The Plan does not cover:

Your use of or modification to the Covered Equipment, the Mac OS, IPod Software Software in a manner for which the Covered Equipment or software is not intended to be used or modified.**

** Same as *.

2b(iv)

The Plan does not cover:

Third-party products or their effects on or interaction with the Covered Equipment, the Mac OS, iPod Software or Consumer Software.***

*** What this means is the APP does not cover the third-party hardwares, nor does Apple Technical provides any support for any possible inteference or effects caused to the Covered Equipment etc by the third-party hardwares.

No where in the contract does it state that APP will not cover a Covered Product with third-party hardwares present though.

Diode

macrumors 68020
Apr 15, 2004
Washington DC
Apple has not helped the situation by always making laptops that require major surgery to upgrade the harddrives in. The macbook is the first one that is easily upgraded, but all the others require much more surgery and risk. Apple just states that if you mess something up while upgrading the drive yourself, the warranty won't cover it - fair enough.

As everybody says, ram upgrades have never voided any warranty.

The ram in the old tibooks was easy to do. Just pull back the two tabs to lift the keyboard and the ram was underneath - no tools needed.

I think it also made it easy for thiefs hence the new scheme.

bijou

macrumors regular
Sep 7, 2007
No, it won't void the warranty as long as you don't break anything while doing it. Keep the old hardware in case Apple wants to place blame on aftermarket upgrading, however.

BTW, upgrading the MBP's hd is as difficult as unscrewing a bunch of screws. If I'd known it was this easy it would have been upgraded sooner!

aldog

macrumors regular
Dec 12, 2007
I'm not sure why that is, but I am/was one of the people that thought so. I was iffy about RAM, but I was pretty certain that upgrading the hd did void it. glad to hear both aren't true. But I don't really know why I thought that. I upgraded my friends ram on his toshiba laptop (1st time upgrading anything on a laptop) and the possibility of voiding his warranty never crossed my mind. I think it's just that it's not out in the open and simple to get to like on a desktop. And it could also have something to do with the fact that it's so incredibly pounded into peoples head that they can't upgrade the video card.
*shrug*
all I know is I'm relieved that I can upgrade mine. 2's just not enough to make me happy.

nbarker

macrumors newbie
Apr 28, 2011
MacBook Upgrades do VOID the warranty

:mad::mad:
This is not a Rumor. It is rediculous, true, but it is correct. I found this thread because I was researching this issue. I have a new 2010 model 15" Macbook Pro with logic board issues. The video keeps hanging and I have to power it off in order to do anything.

So, I took it to the Apple Store and they had to order the part. 7 days later, they call me and said that because I have upgraded the hard drive and RAM, they are going to void the warranty. I raised hell until the guy told me I could come up and get my macbook, put the stock stuff back in, and bring it back up. We had to do it all shady and under the table so that I didnt get screwed. This laptop is less than two weeks old. If I had it to do over again, I wouldnt but a macbook if I would have known how they are about the warranty.

I am a Network Engineer with 11 years experience, I think I am capable of replacing a hard drive and RAM without messing something up, Oh well. I am gritting my teeth and getting it fixed, but this is the last apple product I will buy, and I have an IPhone, two Ipads, and this was my first Mac... :mad:

snaky69

macrumors 603
Mar 14, 2008
I'm more concerned about the hard drive upgrade then the ram upgrade. I would like to sell my existing hard drive on ebay to recover some of the costs of the new hard drive. But if for some reason I need to take my computer in for applecare, I want to be 100% sure they will service it with the upgraded hard drive. If anyone has been denied service please let me know. If thats the case I will hold on to the old hard drive just in case.

You won't get denied service, but if for some reason they swap your machine out, you're out of the hard drive and everything that was on it.

snaky69

macrumors 603
Mar 14, 2008
:mad::mad:
This is not a Rumor. It is rediculous, true, but it is correct. I found this thread because I was researching this issue. I have a new 2010 model 15" Macbook Pro with logic board issues. The video keeps hanging and I have to power it off in order to do anything.

So, I took it to the Apple Store and they had to order the part. 7 days later, they call me and said that because I have upgraded the hard drive and RAM, they are going to void the warranty. I raised hell until the guy told me I could come up and get my macbook, put the stock stuff back in, and bring it back up. We had to do it all shady and under the table so that I didnt get screwed. This laptop is less than two weeks old. If I had it to do over again, I wouldnt but a macbook if I would have known how they are about the warranty.

I am a Network Engineer with 11 years experience, I think I am capable of replacing a hard drive and RAM without messing something up, Oh well. I am gritting my teeth and getting it fixed, but this is the last apple product I will buy, and I have an IPhone, two Ipads, and this was my first Mac... :mad:

Bring the Magnuson-Moss warranty act in paper to them, they are not legally allowed to deny you warranty. The people you spoke to were misinformed and need to be corrected, or they'll do the same to other unknowing customers who will pay out of pocket because they don't know better.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.