Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jan 25, 2008, 05:14 PM   #1
mpuck972
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Reformat iPhone Completely?

Is there a way to wipe it clean, and completely reinstall the firmware? The upgrades from Apple dont clean everything up.

I restored, and then upgraded to 1.1.3, but my title bar at the top of the screen still shows a custome carrier, wifi icon, and the clock is stuck at 9:42!

Any ideas?
mpuck972 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2008, 05:23 PM   #2
brando88
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpuck972 View Post
Is there a way to wipe it clean, and completely reinstall the firmware? The upgrades from Apple dont clean everything up.

I restored, and then upgraded to 1.1.3, but my title bar at the top of the screen still shows a custome carrier, wifi icon, and the clock is stuck at 9:42!

Any ideas?
I'm not positive but you can try this:

1. Go into Settings > General > Reset

2. Hit "Erase all Content and Settings."
__________________
[ i r brando ]
-[ 8GB iPhone ]
theiphoneproject
brando88 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2008, 06:54 PM   #3
mpuck972
Thread Starter
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brando88 View Post
I'm not positive but you can try this:

1. Go into Settings > General > Reset

2. Hit "Erase all Content and Settings."
I believe all that will do is erase contact, and email info.
mpuck972 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2008, 07:48 PM   #4
brando88
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpuck972 View Post
I believe all that will do is erase contact, and email info.
Another idea would be to restore in iTunes, and instead of "restoring from a backup" when prompted, set it up as a new phone. You'll lose your backup, but it might just wipe the system clean )
__________________
[ i r brando ]
-[ 8GB iPhone ]
theiphoneproject
brando88 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2008, 02:02 PM   #5
kwjohns
macrumors 6502a
 
kwjohns's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
mpuck, I'd like to know this as well so if you find the answer, please post it! Thanks.
kwjohns is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2008, 07:38 PM   #6
mpuck972
Thread Starter
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brando88 View Post
Another idea would be to restore in iTunes, and instead of "restoring from a backup" when prompted, set it up as a new phone. You'll lose your backup, but it might just wipe the system clean )
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwjohns View Post
mpuck, I'd like to know this as well so if you find the answer, please post it! Thanks.
The answer is in the first quote. This completely removed EVERYTHING including pictures, notes etc.
mpuck972 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2008, 10:01 PM   #7
kwjohns
macrumors 6502a
 
kwjohns's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpuck972 View Post
The answer is in the first quote. This completely removed EVERYTHING including pictures, notes etc.
Any way to sync back up with a profile to get your photos, notes, etc. back after doing that?

The main reason I am interested is because when you do a restore, it doesn't remove a lot of the data that 3rd party apps place on your phone and I may possibly be interested in removing that by formatting, and then syncing back over my legit iPhone stuff someday.
kwjohns is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Has your iPhone 5s completely crashed? Neocortex27 iPhone 19 Jan 16, 2014 04:55 PM
A new iPhone 5 [came completely drained] Kidder1994 iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting 5 Sep 29, 2013 08:38 AM
Anyone else completely happy with their iPhone 5? zorinlynx iPhone 45 Sep 23, 2013 07:24 AM
iPhone: just bought an iphone 4s and it wont reformat? jimbo23 Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks 29 Apr 3, 2013 08:06 PM
iPhone 3G completely dead blackPete iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting 2 Jul 20, 2012 05:19 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:11 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC