Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Original poster
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
I apologize if this has already been asked before but I didnt see anything on the threads. Im currently go to school for programming and its all windows based, but I want a mac (within 2 weeks). I was wondering if I would have any trouble programming applications using a mac if the applications are to run on windows? (I just started so we are not that far into programming yet).

Also what compiler does mac offer? I thought I saw one called XCode. Windows has Visual Studio 2008 that *suprise* doesnt run on Vista ($300 down the drain).

Lastly my computer programming degree specializes in game development. We will be programming for the windows platform. Would I have any trouble creating these games on a mac to run on windows?

Thank you for all your time and help :)

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Nov 3, 2005
UK
I apologize if this has already been asked before but I didnt see anything on the threads. Im currently go to school for programming and its all windows based, but I want a mac (within 2 weeks). I was wondering if I would have any trouble programming applications using a mac if the applications are to run on windows? (I just started so we are not that far into programming yet).

Lastly my computer programming degree specializes in game development. We will be programming for the windows platform. Would I have any trouble creating these games on a mac to run on windows?

Thank you for all your time and help :)

It depends on the language, Java yes, but still if Windows is the target you'll be better off using that.

Also what compiler does mac offer? I thought I saw one called XCode. Windows has Visual Studio 2008 that *suprise* doesnt run on Vista ($300 down the drain).

Visual Studio has more features than XCode, but I prefer XCode (at least to the free VS) as its less bloated.

Cromulent

macrumors 604
Oct 2, 2006
The Land of Hope and Glory
If you are programming games and want to write them for both Windows and Mac OS X (maybe Linux as well) then you will save yourself a lot of time if you use OpenGL instead of DirectX.

Visual Studio 2008 does run on Vista. Not sure what problem you are having but it is Microsofts flagship compiler and most certainly does work on all recent versions of Windows (XP/2003/Vista).

eddietr

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2006
Virginia
Depends on what type of programming they are teaching you.

If they are teaching desktop apps with GUIs in .Net or webapps in ASP.Net, then I think you'll have less confusion if you just use VS in fusion/parallels/basecamp. Yes, mono might work but I wouldn't recommend it for someone just learning in a classroom setting.

But if it's Java you're learning, then the Mac in my opinion is a great platform for that with just the free eclipse.

Or if it's Python or Ruby, you can do those quite nicely within OS X.

And if it's C/C++, then you can do that in eclipse or Xcode. Provided they aren't using .Net libraries in the classroom or homework exercises. Some schools/teachers do that.

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Original poster
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
Thank you :)

Thank you guys for all the honest feedback. I think I am going to go with a 24inch iMac 4gb of ram, tb harddrive, and ill use bootcamp for windows if I need to :D

megrisoft

macrumors newbie
Jan 28, 2008
India
That really good configuration of your PC, still you have not told us the type of the programming, i am also new to Mac and may be more curious to use this that why i joined the forum!

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Original poster
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
My apologies

I am programming in C++ at the moment and I will be doing some Python and C# in the future. I program a bit of assembly too (only when forced!).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.