Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues

Old Jan 26, 2008, 12:00 PM   #1
kainjow
Moderator emeritus

Anthrax - was it an inside job?

The History Channel claims that the anthrax that was sent around a few years ago was created/maintained by the government. YouTube video

I'm not a chemist/biologist/whatever, but if these people are telling the truth, it's kind of freaky. I'd be interested to know who the anthrax was sent to, and what those people were doing, or not doing, politically. What do you guys think?
kainjow is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2008, 12:15 PM   #2
leekohler
Banned

That the anthrax cases were barely pursued, much less solved speaks volumes.
leekohler is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2008, 12:22 PM   #3
Blue Velvet
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by leekohler View Post

Quote:
Authorities have traveled to six different continents, interviewed more than 9,100 people, conducted 67 searches and have issued over 6,000 subpoenas. The number of FBI agents assigned to the case is 17.
That doesn't sound like 'barely pursued' to me.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2001_anthrax_attacks makes for interesting reading.
Blue Velvet is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2008, 12:27 PM   #4
themadchemist
macrumors 68030

Anthrax is certainly studied by university and government labs--with transparency. Could there be other DoD research going on? I wouldn't be surprised. But somehow, I doubt that the anthrax cases were any mass government conspiracy. At worst, it was stolen from government labs. At second worst, it was stolen from university labs. Most likely, someone collected spores and cultured bacteria from cow manure off of some farm.

Anthrax is actually all over the place.
Old Jan 26, 2008, 05:50 PM   #5
leekohler
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Velvet View Post
That doesn't sound like 'barely pursued' to me.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2001_anthrax_attacks makes for interesting reading.
Perhaps I'm merely reacting to the lack of continued media coverage. It was gone from the MSM very quickly and barely mentioned since.
leekohler is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2008, 06:03 PM   #6
freeny
macrumors 68020

I used to live near ft detrick where the anthrax was believed to have come from. Ft Detrick was one of the places the government did studies on anthrax and its use as a chemical weapon durring the cold war.

From what I remember they had been trailing a guy for years they believed was the culprit. he was an employee at the army base. They raided his house by surprise on several occasions. They even drained a pond up on a local mountain where I used to fish in hopes of finding his anthrax equipment.
I think he is still being seen as the main culprit to this day but the government has yet to have hard evidence.

Hardly swept under the carpet imo. It probably didn't get a lot of press outside the Maryland/DC area because all the evidence was circumstantial.
freeny is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2008, 08:10 PM   #7
MikeTheC

There's a saying that one shouldn't be so quick to suspect conspiracy when ignorance or stupidity would equally-well explain it.

Whomever did it, I hope they catch the bastards. However, considering how polarized we have become as a nation, I don't know if we'll ever truly get to the bottom of this, because I don't think anyone who reports on this will ever be able to get past their own personal agendas, or someone elses'.

Now how's that for conspiratorial thinking, hmm?
MikeTheC is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2008, 09:20 PM   #8
Iscariot
macrumors 68030

The government would be a good source of biological/non biological weapons, would it not? The fact that a weapon was manufactured by the America government (or, for that matter, any national government) doesn't imply their direct involvement. Just like any other organized body, the government can be stolen from, tricked and lied to.
Old Jan 27, 2008, 04:13 AM   #9
skunk
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iscariot View Post
Just like any other organized body, the government can be stolen from, tricked and lied to.
Which reminds me, I must fill in my Tax Return...
Old Jan 28, 2008, 03:03 AM   #10
Apemanblues
macrumors regular

I saw Anthrax at Wembly arena on the Persistence of Time tour.

They were awesome.
Apemanblues is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2008, 07:08 AM   #11
Rodimus Prime
Banned

Quote:
Perhaps I'm merely reacting to the lack of continued media coverage. It was gone from the MSM very quickly and barely mentioned since.
the media grew bored of it quickly. What is so exicting about white powder in the mail. There was no real death. They could treat it before it became deadly and so on.

It is more of an example of how our media is pretty much crap and only cares about the $ and this is media world wide. I have watch BBC CNN and all the other big new outlets go down hill over the years and caring more and more about money that then truth.
Rodimus Prime is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2008, 10:08 AM   #12
Cave Man
macrumors 604

Location: Neander Valley, Germany; just outside of Duesseldorf
Well, today ought to be interesting. Let's see what the Fu Bar Investigators have to say.
Old Aug 6, 2008, 10:11 AM   #13
rhett7660
macrumors 604

Quote:
Nice..... I saw them here in California on that same tour....
Old Aug 7, 2008, 03:03 PM   #14
mactastic
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apemanblues View Post

They were awesome.
I saw them along with Public Enemy and Primus the night that Oakland nearly burned to the ground. Freakin awesome show.

On a related note, the case the government is making against the now-dead Bruce Ivins seems to be very thin so far. Unless they can produce something beyond what they have shown so far, I'm skeptical they have caught the person or persons responsible for these bio-terror attacks.
Old Aug 7, 2008, 03:23 PM   #15
Sun Baked
macrumors G5

Probably be nothing more that a circumstantial case until John Mark Karr takes credit for this crime also.
Old Aug 8, 2008, 03:00 PM   #16
OscarTheGrouch
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to OscarTheGrouch Send a message via MSN to OscarTheGrouch Send a message via Yahoo to OscarTheGrouch
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhett7660 View Post
Nice..... I saw them here in California on that same tour....
Spinal Tap > Anthrax

And anyone remember the movie "Conspiracy Theory"?
OscarTheGrouch is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2008, 03:03 PM   #17
bartelby
macrumors Core

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apemanblues View Post

They were awesome.
I saw them then too.

I also saw them on the State Of Euphoria tour with Living Color.

And on the Among The Living tour, can't remember the support for that tour.

Nice thread deviation, BTW.
bartelby is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2008, 11:17 PM   #18
solvs
macrumors 601

I don't know what to think:

FBI Releases Evidence Against Anthrax Suspect Bruce Ivins

and:

hue anthrax cry

But no one else seems to care anymore, so I guess I shouldn't either.
Old Jan 26, 2013, 09:36 PM   #19
Cave Man
macrumors 604

Location: Neander Valley, Germany; just outside of Duesseldorf
A rather significant paper was just published:

http://www.omicsonline.org/2157-2526...p?%20aid=10614

According to these authors, only one place on the planet could produce the formulation of the anthrax spores sent to Sen. Leahy (and probably all the others): Dugway Proving Grounds in Utah. As far as anyone knows, Dr. Bruce Ivins, whom the FBI stated did this and who committed suicide because of the hounding he was getting from the FBI, never worked at Dugway. The GAO has now opened an investigation of the FBI investigation. Considering how the evidence has accumulated since the FBI released all the investigation's files a couple of years ago, it looks as though they will have to reopen it - and perhaps issue an apology to Dr. Ivins' family.
Old Jan 26, 2013, 10:29 PM   #20
mudslag
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by kainjow View Post
The History Channel claims that the anthrax that was sent around a few years ago was created/maintained by the government. YouTube video

I'm not a chemist/biologist/whatever, but if these people are telling the truth, it's kind of freaky. I'd be interested to know who the anthrax was sent to, and what those people were doing, or not doing, politically. What do you guys think?

Sorry but the History channel has turned into the alien/conspiracy channel. You have to take what they say with a grain of salt.
Old Jan 26, 2013, 10:54 PM   #21
TPadden
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudslag View Post
Sorry but the History channel has turned into the alien/conspiracy channel. You have to take what they say with a grain of salt.
You mean there aren't any ice road truckers?
TPadden is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2013, 01:51 AM   #22
bradl
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartelby View Post
I saw them then too.

I also saw them on the State Of Euphoria tour with Living Color.

And on the Among The Living tour, can't remember the support for that tour.

Nice thread deviation, BTW.
To sorta bring this back on topic, I recently rewatched Behind the Music Remastered: Anthrax, and they had an interview with Scott Ian shortly after the anthrax and ricin scare. He was talking about how disgusted and shocked he and the band was, not only because of what happened on 9/11, but more from the fact that it literally happened in their backyard.

Ian had went to the WTC, and was standing as close as he could to the site, when one of the NYPD or FDNY had come up to him (have to admit, with that goatee, it's hard to not recognize him). Ian had told them that they were thinking about changing the band's name. The officer talked him out of it, saying that if they were to do that, it really proves that the terrorists have won. That band had that name years before the terrorists used it to scare the US; to not let the band be overshadowed by the scare; that Anthrax was metal before anything.

Ian took that back to the band, which they not only came out with a hard, badass album, but embarked on the "We're Not Changing Our Name!" tour. It wasn't their best album, especially compared to the Among the Living or Persistence of Time tours, let alone their State of Euphoria tour when they opened for Ozzy, but definitely was their most important and prominent. I'd say that because of that tour that Anthrax is still relevant today.

Lee has a good point: There wasn't much more mentioned about the anthrax and ricin scare since 2002. It was important in the Vegas area, especially since some of it was discovered there.

BL.
bradl is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2013, 07:01 PM   #23
mudslag
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPadden View Post
You mean there aren't any ice road truckers?
Im surprised no one has invested in an industrial size hovercraft, it could haul as much as those truckers and work year round in that environment.
Old Jan 27, 2013, 07:03 PM   #24
Rodimus Prime
Banned

Quote:
I figured based off the fact it was not really than entertaining to have white powder being found and then we have several hoax on it that turned out to be nothing more than baby powder. From that the public just did not care to much so the media dropped it.

Lets face facts, the media stopped caring about the truth a LONG LONG time again.
Rodimus Prime is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 10:29 AM   #25
skunk
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudslag View Post
Im surprised no one has invested in an industrial size hovercraft, it could haul as much as those truckers and work year round in that environment.
Yeah, but it would make crap television.

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues