Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

g-boac

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 7, 2007
Hey guys,

I just bought an iPhone on Wednesday. It worked fine for a day, then got caught in an infinite loop for about four hours, turning off, then turning back on for a about 15s, displaying the silver apple logo on a black screen, then powering off and running through the cycle again.

I called the Apple store, they told me to bring it on by, but about four hours later it stopped and the phone worked perfectly. No trouble for two days, then yesterday, twice when I pulled the phone out of my pocket, it was displaying a black screen and apple logo, although it went straight from this to the "slide to unlock" screen, I unlocked the phone and it worked just fine.

After synching following the four-hour crash cycle, I did get a "crash log" downloaded to iTunes, and sent it to Apple; yesterday, I did not get any "crash log" messages when synching.

Can this problem be caused by the case (speck armorskin) I have pressing down the sleep-wake and/or home screen buttons while the phone is in my pocket? Or did I get a bum phone that deserves to be returned? If defective, I'd like to swap the phone out before my two week return period is up.

Anyone else have this problem, and what was your ultimate resolution?

thanks!
Mark

Shap

macrumors member
Jan 29, 2008
I doubt it's the case, I'm having the exact same problem. It randomly crashes on me at times, especially when watching a video or sycing with itunes. not sure if its a fireware issue or a real issues with the device.

igglepuff

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2007
I doubt it's the case, I'm having the exact same problem. It randomly crashes on me at times, especially when watching a video or sycing with itunes. not sure if its a fireware issue or a real issues with the device.

i've had it happen to me a few times, mainly whileplaying ichess or whatever it is. I'm not sure if its just causing a seg fault or something worse=( Hopefully its just a seg fault and thereby, caused by software...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.