Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jazzandmetal?

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 24, 2008
Virginia
Periodically my macbook makes a blip sound. It is rather faint but annoying. It sounds like when you hit the volume up or down button only it is quiet and I hear it when I am reading stuff on the cpu, not touching any buttons.

4now

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2007
I like that sound

I haven't the faintest what it is

but it always reminds me that I should probably eat something.

My wife's MBP seems to do it more often - or its slightly more audible

gothamm

macrumors 6502a
Nov 18, 2007
do you use ichat? thats probably what it is. change the sound preferences.

it makes that sound when people sign on/off.

ethernet76

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2003
I believe that's hard drive seeking.

I know what you're talking about and it annoys the piss out of me.

shoulin333

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2007
California
If you used Mail and just exited it with the X and didnt File, Quit, it is still running..

does it sound like the sound when you check for mail?

it could be auto checking

Jazzandmetal?

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 24, 2008
Virginia
Not sure

How do I see which applications are running. I tried to set up mail, but couldn't figure out how to add my hotmail email aco****.

Jazzandmetal?

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 24, 2008
Virginia
wow

This sound is getting on my nerves. Turned Itunes on so I don't have to hear it. Is there any way to make it go away?:confused::(

Kelly™

macrumors regular
Jan 4, 2008
Go to the apple menu on the top left and then force quit.

kill anything but finder.

Is it still doing it?
If so, record it with a camera or something.

Run photo booth, turn on video recording and keep recording until it does it.
Then upload the file to the net somewhere and let meh hear it.

I have NEVER heard this, and its quiet where I work...

ekcoh

macrumors newbie
Jul 15, 2007
I think you may have the same thing I do, and if you do, it is coming for your hard drive.

Put your ear up to where your hard drive is to see. Does it sound like the blip when your hard drive is turning off (like when you shut it down and put it on sleep)? For me, when the blip happens it sounds like the hard drive stops for a seconds than starts up.

I've had it for quite awhile and am going to go get it checked out probably when I finish school because it still hasn't gone away (occasionally there are times when I restart my computer and it doesn't happen, but it'll usually come back after another restart). :(

If you figure out something, let me know ;)

Jazzandmetal?

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 24, 2008
Virginia
Please post

Please post when you get it checked out. I don't think it is loud enough to catch on a recording. I do have it set up to put the hd to sleep whenever possible. Could that be why it is making the sound? I am new to the mac so it is kind of frustrating when some people say it is "this" and normal and other say it is not.:confused:

Jazzandmetal?

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 24, 2008
Virginia
called

No help. Said he could have me run a whole bunch of checks but that I should go get a new cpu because he wasn't sure. Told me to schedule an apointment at the store.:cool:

kgtgv4

macrumors newbie
Aug 22, 2008
Using Entourage?

It was the "no mail" notification for me...i tried to ignore it, but I couldn't do it anymore.

Hope this helps the next person to find this thread.

-Kyle

econoline06

macrumors 6502
Aug 20, 2008
It was the "no mail" notification for me...i tried to ignore it, but I couldn't do it anymore.

Hope this helps the next person to find this thread.

-Kyle
I think we are talking about several different sounds. The "blip" sound seems to be coming from the HD if you have the 120GB fujitsu (SP) model. I just got my refurb MacBook 2 weeks ago and it has been making the same faint sound every 20-30 seconds. It is not Mail. There has been some talk of this on the Apple discussion boards (official ones) but there has been no resolution since Jan of 2008. I wouldn't be too terribly worried about it...Laptops seem to make some odd noises, and if its a choice between a faint blip sound that the MacBook makes versus a Dell laptop that sounds like its about to take-off everytime the CPU gets warm, I'll take the blip :)

MowingDevil

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2008
Vancouver, BC & Sydney, NSW
I think we are talking about several different sounds. The "blip" sound seems to be coming from the HD if you have the 120GB fujitsu (SP) model. I just got my refurb MacBook 2 weeks ago and it has been making the same faint sound every 20-30 seconds. It is not Mail. There has been some talk of this on the Apple discussion boards (official ones) but there has been no resolution since Jan of 2008. I wouldn't be too terribly worried about it...Laptops seem to make some odd noises, and if its a choice between a faint blip sound that the MacBook makes versus a Dell laptop that sounds like its about to take-off everytime the CPU gets warm, I'll take the blip :)

Ya well that will be VERY annoying for me since I'm using my laptop for recording...whenever it arrives that is.
This better not be happening w/ the latest MBPs...what version do you have?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.