Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion

Old Jan 26, 2008, 07:38 PM   #1
MacBytes
macrumors bot

Nokia shows Apple how to do mobile phones after monster 2007

Category: Opinion/Interviews
Link: Nokia shows Apple how to do mobile phones after monster 2007
Description:: none

Posted on MacBytes.com
Approved by Mudbug
MacBytes is offline   0
Old Jan 26, 2008, 08:32 PM   #2
TheNumberOneFan
macrumors member

Send a message via AIM to TheNumberOneFan
is this article a joke?

obviously nokia is doing better, they've been in the market for like 15 years!

and the stats are totally off in this article. Sure, Nokia sold x amount of "high end smart phones" in 2007, but that number reflects the WHOLE YEAR. iPhones only had 6 months.

Come on now
TheNumberOneFan is offline   0
Old Jan 26, 2008, 09:14 PM   #3
Coreobjective
macrumors newbie

Stats are right

The stats quoted in the article for smartphones were for Q4 07 (3 months!) - read it again.
Coreobjective is offline   0
Old Jan 26, 2008, 10:42 PM   #4
samh004
macrumors 68020

Quote:
If we further narrow Nokia's product sales to just the N95 handset, the product that some pundits like to compare to the iPhone, then the sales numbers even up somewhat. According to telecoms analyst Ovum, Nokia has shipped 6 million N95 handsets since it came on the European, Asian and Middle Eastern markets on 22 March 2007, while Apple has shipped 4 million iPhones since it was released to the US market on June 29 2007.
Those figures still have a big difference to Apple in terms of availability of the product. The N95 has been out in far more places with far more contract options, and I dare say probably a few contract-free options, yet it's only sold 6 million in 9 months. The iPhone has sold 4 million in 6 months, so they're about even.

You can't compare Nokia's grand total of 437 million handsets and $75 billion revenue as Apple doesn't have that many phones, they have one model.

Of course Nokia was going to make more money. But were they able to make a better phone ?
Old Jan 27, 2008, 07:54 AM   #5
Stella
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by samh004 View Post
Those figures still have a big difference to Apple in terms of availability of the product. The N95 has been out in far more places with far more contract options, and I dare say probably a few contract-free options, yet it's only sold 6 million in 9 months. The iPhone has sold 4 million in 6 months, so they're about even.

You can't compare Nokia's grand total of 437 million handsets and $75 billion revenue as Apple doesn't have that many phones, they have one model.

Of course Nokia was going to make more money. But were they able to make a better phone ?
iPhone has sold very well, considering all things.

However N95 is only one of many Nokia smartphones. Sum up all the Nokia smartphone sales and then compare sale figures.
Stella is offline   0
Old Jan 27, 2008, 10:13 AM   #6
Yvan256
macrumors 601

However, the Nokia phones are available all over the world, while the iPhone is currently limited to a handful of countries, not to mention the contract requirement.

In any case, forget the iPhone, I just bought the iPod touch (now that Apple finally released the major "iPhone apps" for it).
Yvan256 is offline   0
Old Jan 27, 2008, 11:03 AM   #7
Digital Skunk
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yvan256 View Post
However, the Nokia phones are available all over the world, while the iPhone is currently limited to a handful of countries, not to mention the contract requirement.

In any case, forget the iPhone, I just bought the iPod touch (now that Apple finally released the major "iPhone apps" for it).
Amen, the hype should be over and the iPhone is a decent device. I don't think it will come close to the penetration of more solid cell companies due to the contract and the service provider. So what that it didn't cell as much as the N95. When you look at the limitations of the iPhone and compare them to the full featured N95 then the iPhone did pretty well.

I got the HTC Touch from Sprint (yes... the iPhone works just like it) and the abundance of software for it is amazing. Missing Sync is the best app I have ever used to sync my smart device and my mac, works better than Palm Desktop. I may pick up an iPod Touch but I already have a Classic and I don't want to be greedy. I may just get an 8GB micro SD card and do what a majority of users are doing that opted out of the iPhone.
Old Jan 28, 2008, 03:51 AM   #8
joelypolly
macrumors 6502

Some simple maths

We seems Apple is doing quite well according to the article. Lets look at the figures
4 million phones
around 400 USD each
Potential of 200 USD from each phone that is sold through a contract
even if we assume the 30% unlocked thats a good ~2.8 million contracts

4mil X 400 is 1.6 Billion
2.8mill X 200 .56 billion

So that rounds to about 2.2 Billion which compares quite well with Nokia's 76 Billion. Just 1 product in a few select countries vs the 50~60 odd phones Nokia sells around the world
Flickr|Blog|Website
joelypolly is online now   0
Old Jan 28, 2008, 11:21 AM   #9
Silencio
macrumors 68000

Forthcoming articles from Stan Beer:

"HP shows Apple how to do computers"
"Walmart shows Apple how to do retail"

This article is like saying a baseball team is going to win the World Series because their starting pitcher threw a strike for the first pitch in the first game. It's just too soon to draw any conclusions. Let's see how things are this time next year.
Old Jan 29, 2008, 08:08 AM   #10
Keynoteuser
macrumors regular

Send a message via AIM to Keynoteuser Send a message via Yahoo to Keynoteuser
Now that's funny!

Quote:
I got the HTC Touch from Sprint (yes... the iPhone works just like it)
That's the funniest thing I've read in a long while here!
Keynoteuser is offline   0

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion