Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod touch

Old Jan 26, 2008, 08:25 PM   #1
VegasGirl
macrumors newbie

Can't connect Wi-Fi with new Linksys router

I just set up a new Linksys wireless router today (WRT54G). I have my network locked with a 7-character password. When I try to access my new network with my iPod Touch, it "sees" the network and asks for my password. When I enter in the password, the "Join" button is not active. The button will become active only if I put in a space after my password, which makes it 8 characters, but of course now it says "can't connect." I've spent a couple of hours with Linksys support, and no one seems to know how to help.

I did figure out that if I disable the security on the router, so that a password is not required, I can access my network just fine. But this is definitely not an option, obviously.

Does anyone have any suggestions for me?

Thanks!
VegasGirl is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2008, 04:30 PM   #2
aseideman
macrumors newbie

Mac issue with Linksys

I can't help with the iPod touch but my MacBook Pro is also having issues with my linksys wireless router. I can connect to the router just fine but can't get online. I have another laptop (PC) and it connects to the router and can go online. Anybody know what's up with Macs and Linksys routers?
aseideman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2008, 08:10 PM   #3
VegasGirl
macrumors newbie

Solved my iPOD Touch to Linksys problem

After a lot of digging around on the web, I found my answer. I changed my security setting to WEP, 128 bits, and used the Passphrase Key as my password on the iPod Touch (very long string of 25 or so alpha/numerics). I can now connect the Wi-fi to my Linksys. By the way, I don't have to enter that horrific password string each time, in case you're wondering. I just turn on the Wi-fi switch and it connects to my network.

Cheers!
VegasGirl is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2008, 03:39 AM   #4
davidy
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasGirl View Post
After a lot of digging around on the web, I found my answer. I changed my security setting to WEP, 128 bits, and used the Passphrase Key as my password on the iPod Touch (very long string of 25 or so alpha/numerics). I can now connect the Wi-fi to my Linksys. By the way, I don't have to enter that horrific password string each time, in case you're wondering. I just turn on the Wi-fi switch and it connects to my network.

Cheers!
You found it. The iPod Touch doesn't recognize router 64 bit settings.
Old Sep 10, 2009, 11:09 AM   #5
pleap
macrumors newbie

Linksys routers

I know two people who have Linksys routers, it's the same on both: I can connect but can't go anywhere. Neither is using 128 bit and since they're not mine, I can't easily change. However, I have a Netgear router and regularly link up to another Netgear and a couple D-Links with no problem without 128 bit strings (just 64 bit WEP) so I would assume there's something in the Linksys security that I've failed to find.
pleap is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2009, 12:32 PM   #6
Wotan31
Banned

WEP is so obsolete (and insecure), why the heck is anyone still using it?? Any WEP secure WLAN can be hacked in a matter of minutes. It's a joke, really.

Do yourself a favor and disable WEP. You want WPA2 instead.
Wotan31 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2009, 08:57 AM   #7
pleap
macrumors newbie

Linksys router quirks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotan31 View Post
WEP is so obsolete (and insecure), why the heck is anyone still using it?? Any WEP secure WLAN can be hacked in a matter of minutes. It's a joke, really.

Do yourself a favor and disable WEP. You want WPA2 instead.
I agree but in most cases I'm not the one setting up the security.

Following along on the Linksys issue, I disabled ALL security on a Linksys WRT54G router and still have the same problem: can connect but the Internet is inaccessible. Haven't had a chance to snoop around all the Linksys settings.
pleap is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod touch