Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Old Jan 27, 2008, 05:51 AM   #1
kissem52
macrumors newbie

Apple TV won't accept wireless network WEP password

Can any one help. I bought my Apple TV two weeks ago and it worked perfectly. Suddenly the network connection dropped. I have tried resetting the Apple TV and it finds my wireless network but will not accept the WEP password. Any ideas?
kissem52 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2008, 09:39 AM   #2
Eraserhead
macrumors G4

Try prefixing the password with a dollar, or ideally move to WPA security as doesn't suffer issues like this and is more secure.
Old Jan 28, 2008, 06:59 AM   #3
kissem52
macrumors newbie

Apple TV won't accept wireless network WEP password

Thanks - I tried that and nothing happened. I tried it again without the $ and it worked. Go figure!
kissem52 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2008, 07:07 AM   #4
J@ffa
macrumors 6502a

Using WEP is the equivalent of using a big piece of wet tissue paper to stop people getting into your house. Or, put even more simply, it sucks. You might as well put up a big sign outside your house saying "Plz hack me kthxbai P.S. SSID = netgear/belkin54g/default". Use WPA or WPA2, since not only does WEP leave you open to people leeching your connection, it also allows them to view your unencrypted network traffic (such as websites, emails, LAN transfers, etc). I'm not going to be too alarmist (), but really, if you're going to put on a password at all you'd be better off making it effective.
J@ffa is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater