Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

BoyGeniusReport claims that MacBook Airs have arrived at retail stores and will be placed on display starting Tuesday (update: maybe Wednesday).
Product banners and visuals will go up on Monday night in all Apple stores for the official “launch” on Tuesday, and the Genius Bar employees get their official training tomorrow.
UPDATE: Looks like it might be Wednesday now!
Steve Jobs had originally announced that the MacBook Air would be available starting 2 weeks after their announcement, which brings us to this Tuesday -- making this seemingly quite a likely claim. However, we have not heard independent confirmation, and BoyGeniusReport's reliability has been mixed.

Readers who have their MacBook Airs on pre-order are waiting in this discussion thread, ready to post photos when their MacBook Airs arrive. Meanwhile, for those waiting for the MacBook Pro updates, we've heard whispers about their imminent release.

Article Link

Flyer0815

macrumors 6502
Dec 11, 2007
PA
While its great that stores are getting availability so soon, I hope Apple honors the Pre-Orders many of us put in and ships before general store availability. Whats the point of pre-ordering if the stores get stock before the pre-orders?

darthraige

macrumors 68000
Aug 8, 2007
Coruscant, but Boston will do.
While its great that stores are getting availability so soon, I hope Apple honors the Pre-Orders many of us put in and ships before general store availability. Whats the point of pre-ordering if the stores get stock before the pre-orders?

Maybe they are now gonna be available in stores Wednesday so that they can ship on Tuesday for the Pre-Orders? That way Apple is covered? lol

Mac OS X Ocelot

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2005

Pre-ordering, in this case, simply means "You can order it now, but it won't ship for a few weeks," not "You'll be getting it before the Apple Stores do." If it's anything like their OS X pre-orders, it'll come in the mail the same day as they are launched in stores.

Flyer0815

macrumors 6502
Dec 11, 2007
PA
Maybe they are now gonna be available in stores Wednesday so that they can ship on Tuesday for the Pre-Orders? That way Apple is covered? lol

I sure hope so. But since a lot of our orders were "Prepared to ship" last week, only to mysteriously revert back to "Not Yet Shipped", im not too confident :(

kornyboy

macrumors 68000
Sep 27, 2004
Knoxville, TN (USA)
Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A93 Safari/419.3)

I will be looking forward to going down to the local store and checking it out sometime this week.

Flyer0815

macrumors 6502
Dec 11, 2007
PA
Pre-ordering, in this case, simply means "You can order it now, but it won't ship for a few weeks," not "You'll be getting it before the Apple Stores do." If it's anything like their OS X pre-orders, it'll come in the mail the same day as they are launched in stores.

I understand that. That fact doesn't make it less frustrating however. If stock is available (if the rumors are true that stores currently have stock), then it seems to not make much sense to keep the first buyers waiting while stock sits in a store.

BWhaler

macrumors 68040
Jan 8, 2003
My pre-order is showing mid-February ship. (1.8 w/ SSD)

Sure, I'd love it next week, but honestly I just want the quality to be good. I've had problems with every portably I've purchased from Apple in the past two years--and I buy a lot of them--so I am nervous.

Fingers crossed....I will gladly wait another month if it means the quality is rock solid.

solipsism

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2008
Guess 10.5.2 will be coming within the next couple days then.
I'd say so. The last two builds of 10.5.2 had no unesolved issues and the last one was released on Thursday. We will definitely see it this week.

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A93 Safari/419.3)

I've seen this a few times. Does it automatically paste this from anyone using an iPhone to show how many people are using this site with iPhones?

fishkorp

macrumors 68030
Apr 10, 2006
Ellicott City, MD
If true, it'd be great if they shipped all of ours out on Monday with 2-day shipping to get them to us the same day they'll be hitting the retail stores. I'll keep my eyes on the order status page.

solipsism

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2008
Perhaps the plural should be MacBooks Air?

Only if this site should be called MacsRumor does that make sense.

However the singular is also correct here and, in my opinion, sounds better.

"BoyGeniusReport claims that the MacBook Air has arrived at retail stores"
"BoyGeniusReport claims that shipments of MacBook Air have arrived at retail stores"

Kufat

macrumors newbie
May 8, 2005
Rochester, NY
Perhaps the plural should be MacBooks Air?

Yes, since "Air" is a modifier (adjective) and "MacBook" is the noun. The analogy to "MacsRumor" isn't valid, since "Rumor" is the noun in that case, modified by "Mac". "Courts martial" is a better example.

Edit: Of course, ultimately the plural is whatever Apple says it is. ;)

huntnboy04

macrumors regular
Apr 11, 2007
MI, USA
I went to an Apple store today and out of curiosity asked when they would have them in, the Apple guy told me two weeks!!. I'm not all too sure about that, only time will tell.

solipsism

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2008
Yes, since "Air" is a modifier (adjective) and "MacBook" is the noun. The analogy to "MacsRumor" isn't valid, since "Rumor" is the noun in that case, modified by "Mac".

The name of the item is MacBook Air, therefore the whole name is a proper noun.

gazfocus

macrumors 68000
Jan 3, 2008
Liverpool, UK
I went to an Apple store today and out of curiosity asked when they would have them in, the Apple guy told me two weeks!!. I'm not all too sure about that, only time will tell.

The guys in the Apple Stores often don't know because the shipments are usually unopened until they are told by Apple they are allowed to open them.

dmelgar

macrumors 68000
Apr 29, 2005
I saw the comments on boygenius. I've seen so many comments of people disliking the Macbook Air. I don't get it. There seems to be a general anti-Apple movement. Why? Even Cramer makes a ridiculous statement that Apple's earnings were a "genuine miss". How is blowing past their estimate a miss? Even iPod revenue was up 17%, yet they focus on the 5% increase in iPod unit shipments as proof iPods are history?

Macbook Air seems like a great machine pushing the "envelope" on how small you can make a useful machine. I think all machines will be this size in a few years.

ravenvii

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
Melenkurion Skyweir
I've seen this a few times. Does it automatically paste this from anyone using an iPhone to show how many people are using this site with iPhones?

Only if you're using the mobile version of the site. It doesn't show if you post with the iPhone on the full version of the site.

Anyway, I can't wait for the MacBook Airs (ooh I'm lodging bets on this plural version!) arrives in stores. I want to see them first-hand!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.