Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod touch

Old Jan 27, 2008, 11:32 PM   #1
nintapple
macrumors member

iPod touch stuck on recovery mode. multiple errors. tried everything. HELP!

Problem: iPod touch stuck on recovery mode
itunes: tried 7.6, 7.5, 7.4.2
firmware: tried 1.1.3, 1.1.2, 1.1.1 (started with 1.1.1)
Computers: tried on intel imac core duo and friend's powerbook g4
Guides Used: Macrumors Jailbreak to 1.1.3 guide RupertGee-to 1.1.2
Errors Received while attempt Restore: 1604, 2001, unknown error 1

As you can see, I have put hours into trying to get the wobbly icons. I started with iTunes 6 and iPod touch 1.1.1 jailbreaked. I made the mistake of not using iJailbreak.com's wonderful simple app to jump to 1.1.3. Instead, I used macrumors tedious and sparsely detailed guide to upgrade. After initially coming upon Recovery Mode and getting stuck, I did some research and found out iTunes 6 does not work with the macrumors guide. Also I made the error of using Safari to download the 1.1.2 firmware, which my friend says will automatically unzip it (big nono apparently). So after that crazy mumbo jumbo, I did all the troubleshooting recommended in the million guides and threads out there... the restarting iTunes/computer, dropping to iTunes 5 and 4, holding the home and hold buttom to restart ipod, using a new account, checking USB ports, even using my friends powerbook. .... still stuck in recovery mode with a flip flop between error 2001 and 1604 (mostly 1604) after attempting to option-restore with 1.1.1 and 1.1.2.

Boy, this is getting confusing. I'm counting on you macrumor forum geniuses out there. I think I layed out everything nice and clear but...
if there are any questions about my circumstance that could help you solve my problem, PLEASE ASK!

btw, i really wish this would get notice from the super helpers in the iPhone hacks section. too bad these two hack-sections aren't merged.
Macbook Pro Unibody/15"/Core 2 Duo 2.4ghz/4gb/250gb

Last edited by nintapple; Jan 28, 2008 at 05:22 PM.
nintapple is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2008, 06:24 AM   #2
archurban
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to archurban
well, ipod touch is only compatible with itunes 7.6 or later. you must update it. that's why you are stuck. it's very basic you should know before doing it. come on.
archurban is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2008, 07:51 AM   #3
TheSpaz
Banned

Download the new beta if iNdependence and run it. It should kick the iPod touch OUT of recovery mode. I had to do that to mine once.
TheSpaz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2008, 12:41 PM   #4
JAT
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by archurban View Post
well, ipod touch is only compatible with itunes 7.6 or later. you must update it. that's why you are stuck. it's very basic you should know before doing it. come on.
Mine seems to work just fine with 7.5.
JAT is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2008, 05:17 PM   #5
nintapple
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by archurban View Post
i meant itunes 7.6. not 6. previous itunes versions are perfectly compatible though, especially since we're talking about 1.1.1 and 1.1.2.

second off, i tried itunes 7.6

anyways, my friend just repeated did the hold power button and hard restore restart thing about 20 times and got 1.1.3 onto it using iBrickr on windows. then downgraded. then finally used iJailbreak.

for the person that recommend iNdependance... that app is iPhone only. my situation is with an iPod touch.

the problem now is that my iPod touch under 1.1.3 jailbreaked won't remember my house wifi password. so it gets annoying having to resetup my ipod wifi every time i use it. also, my ipod wont mount in itunes 7.6.
Macbook Pro Unibody/15"/Core 2 Duo 2.4ghz/4gb/250gb

Last edited by nintapple; Jan 28, 2008 at 05:24 PM.
nintapple is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2008, 07:37 PM   #6
TheSpaz
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nintapple View Post
i meant itunes 7.6. not 6. previous itunes versions are perfectly compatible though, especially since we're talking about 1.1.1 and 1.1.2.

second off, i tried itunes 7.6

anyways, my friend just repeated did the hold power button and hard restore restart thing about 20 times and got 1.1.3 onto it using iBrickr on windows. then downgraded. then finally used iJailbreak.

for the person that recommend iNdependance... that app is iPhone only. my situation is with an iPod touch.

the problem now is that my iPod touch under 1.1.3 jailbreaked won't remember my house wifi password. so it gets annoying having to resetup my ipod wifi every time i use it. also, my ipod wont mount in itunes 7.6.
iNdependence is for iPhone but, I only suggested it to get your iPod touch OUT of Recovery Mode.
TheSpaz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2008, 08:06 PM   #7
EnTg888
macrumors member

Mine was like this for a while, it was stuck in recovery under 1.1.3. I just did a restore (not an option+restore) and it was in official 1.1.3. Then I just downgraded it to 1.1.1 like described here and jailbreaked it again.

http://rupertgee.wordpress.com/2008/...111-downgrade/

Good luck!
Old Jan 28, 2008, 09:58 PM   #8
cjd82187
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnTg888 View Post
Mine was like this for a while, it was stuck in recovery under 1.1.3. I just did a restore (not an option+restore) and it was in official 1.1.3. Then I just downgraded it to 1.1.1 like described here and jailbreaked it again.

http://rupertgee.wordpress.com/2008/...111-downgrade/

Good luck!
I would recommend doing it this way as well. The link posted to the recovery mode method always works for me, and I have and the iPod in an unusable state a few times (it was stuck with the "connect to itunes" screen on it, iTunes couldnt fix it because I guess it was not totally in recovery mode. I had to do what the link above said, it it worked)
cjd82187 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2008, 05:21 AM   #9
Bodrum50
macrumors newbie

Angry itouch stuck in recovery mode, can not do anything error 1604

Problem: [/B]iPod touch stuck on recovery mode
itunes: tried 7.6, 7.5, 7.4.2
firmware: tried 1.1.3, 1.1.2, 1.1.1 (started with 1.1.1)
Computers: tried on intel imac core duo and friend's powerbook g4
Guides Used: Macrumors Jailbreak to 1.1.3 guide RupertGee-to 1.1.2
Errors Received while attempt Restore: 1604, 2001, unknown error 1

As you can see, I have put hours into trying to get the wobbly icons. I started with iTunes 6 and iPod touch 1.1.1 jailbreaked. I made the mistake of not using iJailbreak.com's wonderful simple app to jump to 1.1.3. Instead, I used macrumors tedious and sparsely detailed guide to upgrade. After initially coming upon Recovery Mode and getting stuck, I did some research and found out iTunes 6 does not work with the macrumors guide. Also I made the error of using Safari to download the 1.1.2 firmware, which my friend says will automatically unzip it (big nono apparently). So after that crazy mumbo jumbo, I did all the troubleshooting recommended in the million guides and threads out there... the restarting iTunes/computer, dropping to iTunes 5 and 4, holding the home and hold buttom to restart ipod, using a new account, checking USB ports, even using my friends powerbook. .... still stuck in recovery mode with a flip flop between error 2001 and 1604 (mostly 1604) after attempting to option-restore with 1.1.1 and 1.1.2.

Hi everyone I have the same problem as the above, I use an imac duo can anyone help please.
Bodrum50 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod touch