Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wwwdotcomdotnet

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 27, 2007
Can anyone recommend using MacMall vs Amazon for ordering a Mac? Both offer free shipping, no tax, rebates, and freebies (MacMall mostly). This seems a bit better than ordering directly from Apple because of the tax break. Can anyone recommend any other sites that are dependable as well? I'm just seeing which one offers the best overall deal. Thanks! :apple:

Niko

macrumors newbie
Dec 13, 2007
I don't know about anyone else but buying a computer is big investment and I would need a lot of assurance from whoever I am buying it from. I usually buy stuff from amazon and most come through ok but they are times when I just get the raw end of the deal. Aside from the tax break, buying from the Apple store would be the best move. If something should go wrong, it would be a lot easier to deal with Apple than Amazon or anyone else.

I would say the best of the two would be Amazon because they have been reliable for me. I have not used or heard of Macmall. If it is something big like a macbook pro, I would buy from Apple to get that piece of mind.

ntrigue

macrumors 68040
Jul 30, 2007
Amazon ... best return policy and I've had 40+ transactions between ($3-$2500)

MacMall ... worst return policy (psst NO RETURNS)

vixapphire

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2002
Los Angeles
smalldog.com is great; i've bought a few puters from them and never a problem. free ship and no tax.

i've also had good luck with two computers from cdw.com (which owns macwarehouse, i think).

MacDude415

macrumors member
Feb 19, 2007
San Francisco
I know a few people who have bought from MacMall and have been happy with the price/speed of delivery etc. but not the return/replacement situation. As far as the freebies the MacMall carrying bag is a joke. It a HUGE box-like case with a big MacMall logo.

Andrmgic

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2007
If you order from Amazon, you're likely going to get a machine with Tiger installed and no Leopard drop-in (like I did last week), but you will get a good price and better service if you need something, imho.

After amazon.com's $150 rebate, I'm only paying $10 more for my new MBP than I would have paid after tax at Apple.com for a refurb.

heatmiser

macrumors 68020
Dec 6, 2007
Personally, I'd go with Apple or Mac of all trades first! But if I had to choose, I'd pick Amazon, easily. *NO RETURNS* is unacceptable from a retailer, under any circumstances.

cowm007

macrumors regular
Feb 2, 2005
Amazon all the way. Fast shipping, great return policy. I've ordered 2 Mac Minis and a MacBook from them and no issues what-so-ever.

Boxcar Edit

macrumors member
Jul 10, 2007
I will no longer order from MacMall.

I ordered a MacBook Pro last January from MacMall with express shipping. It arrived with a faulty video card or display out of the box (with a completely unreadable scrambled image on the screen).

I called MacMall expecting them to immediately provide an RMA number and get a new computer on its way to me once I returned the defective one, but they refused and referred me to AppleCare for a repair that might take several weeks and leave me with essentially a refurbished computer for full price. Apple insisted MacMall owed me a new computer, as all their resellers are required to provide. MacMall claimed they were under no such obligation. It took a herculean effort to get them to relent and accept the broken laptop back, swapping for a new one.

I have not ordered from them since.

phungy

macrumors 68020
Dec 5, 2006
FL/NY/TX
Ordered my second Macbook via Amazon. They shipped fast even though it was the free shipping! It came out cheaper than a new one from Apple cause it had a $100 rebate.

wwwdotcomdotnet

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 27, 2007
Would Apple's service be the same if I had a problem and took it into a retail store (ie gradient issue on the iMacs)?

PDE

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2005
Amazon. Great prices, free fast shipping and a terrific return policy with no hassles. the main reason I always buy from amazon is the return policy - when gambling with Apple laptop purchases it gives me peace of mind. Buying from apple is fine, but you'll spend a lot more.

MarkMS

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2006
Amazon is great! I like it because I don't get charged tax and most items have free super saver shipping.

Mac Connection is also a good place to shop. But they started to charge tax since my last purchase so you might as well just go to the Apple store.

Antimatter

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2007
I just ordered my MacBook last Monday and I got it last Tuesday in the morning with Next Day Air. They couldn't have been any better for me and the MacBook with leopard is awesome.

wwwdotcomdotnet

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 27, 2007
I just ordered my MacBook last Monday and I got it last Tuesday in the morning with Next Day Air. They couldn't have been any better for me and the MacBook with leopard is awesome.

From Amazon? How much did it cost to ship it next day?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.