Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Aaleck

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 11, 2007
Michigan, USA
I've had this problem where it gave me the following error when trying o move the apps folder to the media folder:

Code:
Command 'mv /Applications /private/var/Applications' 
failed with return code 1 and error message
mv: /bin/: Permission denied
mv: /bin/: terminated with 1 (non-zero) status: Cross-device linked

Without doing it, everytime you try to install a app in installer and it crashes, the reason is you're running out of room. Now if you're wondering how to do this to fix it, it'll be pretty easy (hopefully).

Programs you need But you can probably do it differently... This is just how I did it...

Putty
WinSCP

Step 1

First, you might not need to do this but I did it anyway. Go on to step 2 and try it to see if it'll work anyway.

Restore back to 1.1.1 then jailbreak with jailbreakme.com. (Download this and follow instructions to downgrade) Then download oktoprep then update to 1.1.2. Then jailbreak it. When you jailbreak it, DO NOT INSTALL SSH. Then once you're in jailbroken 1.1.2 install BSD Subsystem, then use the 1.1.3 Jailbreak Dev Team app to jailbreak to 1.1.3. This will take a while. Once it finishes and restarts, go into installer and download OpenSSH.

Step 2

I used putty for this... Enter the following commands... NOTE: After the second command it'll appear to freeze, just wait for it while it moves your apps.

Code:
cd /
cp -rp Applications private/var
rm -rf Applications
ln -f private/var/Applications
reboot

Once it starts up, and you don't see any icons, thats ok because thats what happened to mine too. If it worked right then and there for you then you're done.

Step 3

If you're stuck with no icons, I used WinSCP and went to the root folder then went to the Terminal and typed in:

Code:
ln -s /private/var/Applications Applications

then reboot. Then wala, you're done....

This is how I did it, if it doesn't work for you don't hold me responsible...

If you SSH into your iPod and notice that the /Applications folder is gone and located at /private/var/Applications, all you have to do is create the link in the root folder...

Hope this helps people that have had the same error as I did.

CrazyIvan

macrumors newbie
Mar 29, 2006
Tried. Didn't work. Working hard on regaining my apps. Till now, everything's back except Preferences. And that I can't not have!

J

CrazyIvan

macrumors newbie
Mar 29, 2006
Hi! I got to the Step 2 reboot. I didn't get the icons so I ssh'd and type in you line... but no joy!

I'm guessing the link to the Application folder shouldn't be in the root but in the "/". But that's my guess. I'm not that good with ssh, but I have recovered almost everything by manual SFTP.

J

CrazyIvan

macrumors newbie
Mar 29, 2006
Alleluia!

I got it to work. See, for your step 3, I didn't do a "cd /" before so it actualy put the link in the "private/var/root" folder and not the <root> folder! Dumb me!:rolleyes:

But it works realy great. Even got back some of my old Apps from the 1.1.2 jb, like DropCopy. And it seems to work.

Sorry for the false alarm. Happy jailbreaking everyone!

J

hecks

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2007
With the 1.1.3 jailbreak, I think it's far better to leave the Applications folder where it is and move & symlink the Fonts folder instead - this will give you much more free space, and is less likely to cause problems. SSH and type:

cd /
mkdir /private/var/Fonts
cp -Rp /System/Library/Fonts/* /private/var/Fonts/
rm -Rf /System/Library/Fonts
ln -s /private/var/Fonts/ /System/Library/Fonts

You should now have 80 MB or so free space for your apps.

Aaleck

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 11, 2007
Michigan, USA
Alleluia!

I got it to work. See, for your step 3, I didn't do a "cd /" before so it actualy put the link in the "private/var/root" folder and not the <root> folder! Dumb me!:rolleyes:

But it works realy great. Even got back some of my old Apps from the 1.1.2 jb, like DropCopy. And it seems to work.

Sorry for the false alarm. Happy jailbreaking everyone!

J

Excellent! Glad to see someone got it to work... So people don't think im some crack.

Aaleck

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 11, 2007
Michigan, USA
Hi! I got to the Step 2 reboot. I didn't get the icons so I ssh'd and type in you line... but no joy!

I'm guessing the link to the Application folder shouldn't be in the root but in the "/". But that's my guess. I'm not that good with ssh, but I have recovered almost everything by manual SFTP.

J

the 'Applications' link should me where the old Application was... and if you double click the link after its created it should take you to 'private/var/Applications', I didn't quite understand, but if you got to step 2 and it didn't work (and your apps gone) all you had to do is create the link... you could either use a program and type it in... (which gave me a access error so thats why i didnt put it down as an option) or use winscp or some other program and type in 'ln -s /private/var/Applications Applications" in the "/" folder

I'll be glad to help you if you still need help, because I searched around the net for hours trying to figure out a process to fix it... and i'm sure others have too. :p

Four20

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2007
I used the BossTool. . .even before he released an update for it. . .it works for me

Aaleck

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 11, 2007
Michigan, USA
Which version? You need the latest .35

I tried it yesterday from the version that was in installer... and after checking, the version of the one there is 0.34. So I guess you can manualy download 0.35 and install it from their website?

tokomoto

macrumors newbie
Feb 6, 2008
Thank you, they worked well!

With the 1.1.3 jailbreak, I think it's far better to leave the Applications folder where it is and move & symlink the Fonts folder instead - this will give you much more free space, and is less likely to cause problems. SSH and type:

cd /
mkdir /private/var/Fonts
cp -Rp /System/Library/Fonts/* /private/var/Fonts/
rm -Rf /System/Library/Fonts
ln -s /private/var/Fonts/ /System/Library/Fonts

You should now have 80 MB or so free space for your apps.

Thank you for this tutorial. I did this one and the one from the top and i now have 101MB free out of 266MB on my 1.1.3 JB phone. Thank you so much for these Tutorials!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.