Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Old Jan 28, 2008, 09:30 AM   #1
Sambean
macrumors newbie

HDMI and Optical cable?

Will I need an HDMI and an optical audio from my ATV to my Onkyo receiver?
Sambean is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2008, 10:09 AM   #2
spice weasel
macrumors 65816

Just connect your ATV to your TV via HDMI cable. Then run an optical cable from your TV to your receiver. If you want to be able to play music from your ATV without having your TV on at the same time, then you can run an optical cable directly from the ATV to the receiver as well.
spice weasel is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2008, 02:55 PM   #3
CWallace
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sambean View Post
You would use the HDMI cable from the Apple TV to the television and then the optical cable from the Apple TV to the Onkyo receiver.

If your Onkyo receiver supports HDMI, you could use on HDMI cable from the Apple TV to the receiver and another from the receiver to the TV.
CWallace is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2008, 02:57 PM   #4
Chaszmyr
macrumors 601

So long as your receiver supports HDMI, you don't really need an optical cable at all.
Chaszmyr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2008, 03:43 PM   #5
Koolio27
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaszmyr View Post
So long as your receiver supports HDMI, you don't really need an optical cable at all.
+1

In fact, if your Onkyo has HDMI inputs and your TV has HDMI inputs, then there is NO NEED to use an optical cable. HDMI will transmit audio and video.

Now, if your Onkyo and/or TV does NOT have HDMI inputs, you'll need an optical cable to transmit the audio. For video transmission, you can use HDMI or a component video cable.

For example, in my case, I only have 2 HDMI inputs on my Denon 2807 receiver. I was using HDMI for audio/video on my AppleTV until I bought my PS3 3 weeks ago (for Blu-ray movies). Now, I have my AppleTV hooked up with component video cables direct to my Panny plasma and an optical cable to the Denon receiver for audio.
Old Jan 28, 2008, 03:50 PM   #6
spice weasel
macrumors 65816

Yes. I should have been clearer. If your TV has HDMI, then audio and video will be carried from the ATV to your television. Then you just need to get the audio from your television to your receiver as well. This can either be another HDMI cable (TV-->reciever) if your receiver supports it, or an optical cable (also TV-->receiver). The only reason to connect an optical cable from the ATV in addition to an HDMI cable is if you want to listen to music without having your television on. If the TV is off, then it won't pass the audio through to the receiver (at least my Toshiba doesn't).
spice weasel is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2008, 04:18 PM   #7
ChrisA
macrumors G4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sambean View Post
HDMI caries both audio and video signals in one cable.

So if there is a free HDMI input on the Onkyo AV receiver connect the ATV to the receiver with just the HDMI cable.
ChrisA is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2008, 04:32 PM   #8
Sambean
macrumors newbie

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaszmyr View Post
It does have 3 (the receiver) HDMI ports.

I thought so.....thanks!
Sambean is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2008, 04:49 PM   #9
HotRodGuy
macrumors regular

Keep in mind that MANY recievers out there today are simply HDMI pass throughs, meaning they are just a median. What Onkyo model do you have?

For example, i have an Yamaha reciever w/ HDMI connections (2 in 1 out). But it's simply a median...it does not take sound to my reciever...I still have to run an optical.
HotRodGuy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2008, 05:14 PM   #10
DennisVR
macrumors member

I can't get sound working over HDMI. I think it's related due to the receiver being connected via a HDMI->DVI cable. So i'm using an additional optical for sound.

my setup:
Apple TV(HDMI out)->(HDMI in)Sony STR-DG910(HDMI out)->(DVI in)Sony VPL-HS10
Apple TV(Optical out)->(Optical in)Sony STR-DG910->Speakers
DennisVR is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2008, 05:33 PM   #11
26theone
macrumors newbie

Just a warning that you will probably need an additional audio cable to your receiver.

I just hooked up my AppleTV this weekend via HDMI to my Samsung DLP LED TV. I already had an optical out from my TV to receiver. My TV specifically DOES NOT pass the digital audio from the HDMI cable (AppleTV) through the digital optical output. I had to connect a separate digital optical cable to my receiver.

Some type of copyright protection Im sure as my TV will send OTA HD Audio through it and also analog audio through the digital optical output.
26theone is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2008, 05:45 PM   #12
cohibadad
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennisVR View Post
I can't get sound working over HDMI. I think it's related due to the receiver being connected via a HDMI->DVI cable. So i'm using an additional optical for sound.

my setup:
Apple TV(HDMI out)->(HDMI in)Sony STR-DG910(HDMI out)->(DVI in)Sony VPL-HS10
Apple TV(Optical out)->(Optical in)Sony STR-DG910->Speakers
odd. I have my TV to that same receiver by HDMI and audio works beautifully. Maybe it is the DVI but I don't see why.
cohibadad is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2008, 05:56 PM   #13
DennisVR
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cohibadad View Post
odd. I have my TV to that same receiver by HDMI and audio works beautifully. Maybe it is the DVI but I don't see why.
Which HDMI input are you using ? I'm using the DVD labeled input.

My digital HDTV set-top box does however work with sound over HDMI, but not entirely flawless either(set-top box seems to be stuck on same channel)

The DG910 US user's manual (pg 22) contains a disclaimer statement recommending against HDMI->DVI conversion cables saying that "the sound and/or the image may not be output."
DennisVR is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2008, 06:07 PM   #14
Padraic
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 26theone View Post
Just a warning that you will probably need an additional audio cable to your receiver.

I just hooked up my AppleTV this weekend via HDMI to my Samsung DLP LED TV. I already had an optical out from my TV to receiver. My TV specifically DOES NOT pass the digital audio from the HDMI cable (AppleTV) through the digital optical output. I had to connect a separate digital optical cable to my receiver.

Some type of copyright protection Im sure as my TV will send OTA HD Audio through it and also analog audio through the digital optical output.
I have a Samsung DLP and have my AppleTV routed through HDMI -> TV-> Optical out -> Receiver and sounds works just fine.

My question is will my TV pass the 5.1 audio out to the receiver or do I need to do the optical out to the receiver to get that? My receiver currently doesn't register any sort of DSP from the AppleTV when routed through the TV (it does for HD OTA). Anyone have any thoughts?
Padraic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2008, 07:14 PM   #15
cohibadad
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennisVR View Post
Which HDMI input are you using ? I'm using the DVD labeled input.

My digital HDTV set-top box does however work with sound over HDMI, but not entirely flawless either(set-top box seems to be stuck on same channel)

The DG910 US user's manual (pg 22) contains a disclaimer statement recommending against HDMI->DVI conversion cables saying that "the sound and/or the image may not be output."
I have used all the inputs. I have several HDMI devices going in and use an HDMI switch also. I saw that about the DVI in the manual. I thought it was referring to image as DVI only carries image but maybe it was referring to your problem. All of my HDMI audios work flawlessly for any audio format I've delivered.
cohibadad is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2008, 07:38 PM   #16
Nimiety
macrumors regular

Since the AppleTV only does 720p or 1080i, I opted to connect it via component cable for video and optical digital for audio. I already have a HD cable box and an upconverting dvd player connected by HDMI to my Onkyo (good choice, BTW...) The receiver the outputs by HDMI to the TV for video with all the audio from the receiver.
Nimiety is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2008, 03:19 PM   #17
griz
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by cohibadad View Post
DVI doesn't carry audio. Only video. If you use an HDMI to DVI adapter, you lose the audio ability of the HDMI.
griz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2008, 01:07 AM   #18
legacyb4
macrumors 6502

Reopening this thread to avoid having to start a new one.

If I connect an ATV through HDMI to my HDTV, I can also hook up optical audio output to an AV amp (older, no HDMI support) to listen to audio, right?

Basically I'd prefer to stream audio to my stereo rather than my TV but be able to use the TV obviously for the Front Row interface.

No issues?
Old Oct 16, 2008, 01:29 AM   #19
coogee
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by legacyb4 View Post
Reopening this thread to avoid having to start a new one.

If I connect an ATV through HDMI to my HDTV, I can also hook up optical audio output to an AV amp (older, no HDMI support) to listen to audio, right?

Basically I'd prefer to stream audio to my stereo rather than my TV but be able to use the TV obviously for the Front Row interface.

No issues?
None that I can see. Should be fine. Using the HDMI cable doesn't disable the Optical Audio Out.

You're streaming your Audio to both TV and A/V Receiver in effect.
coogee is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater