Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sambean

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 10, 2002
Will I need an HDMI and an optical audio from my ATV to my Onkyo receiver?:confused:

spice weasel

macrumors 65816
Jul 25, 2003
Just connect your ATV to your TV via HDMI cable. Then run an optical cable from your TV to your receiver. If you want to be able to play music from your ATV without having your TV on at the same time, then you can run an optical cable directly from the ATV to the receiver as well.

CWallace

macrumors G4
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
Will I need an HDMI and an optical audio from my ATV to my Onkyo receiver?:confused:

You would use the HDMI cable from the Apple TV to the television and then the optical cable from the Apple TV to the Onkyo receiver.

If your Onkyo receiver supports HDMI, you could use on HDMI cable from the Apple TV to the receiver and another from the receiver to the TV.

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
So long as your receiver supports HDMI, you don't really need an optical cable at all.

Koolio27

macrumors member
Jan 28, 2008
Somerville, MA (Boston)
So long as your receiver supports HDMI, you don't really need an optical cable at all.

+1

In fact, if your Onkyo has HDMI inputs and your TV has HDMI inputs, then there is NO NEED to use an optical cable. HDMI will transmit audio and video.

Now, if your Onkyo and/or TV does NOT have HDMI inputs, you'll need an optical cable to transmit the audio. For video transmission, you can use HDMI or a component video cable.

For example, in my case, I only have 2 HDMI inputs on my Denon 2807 receiver. I was using HDMI for audio/video on my AppleTV until I bought my PS3 3 weeks ago (for Blu-ray movies). Now, I have my AppleTV hooked up with component video cables direct to my Panny plasma and an optical cable to the Denon receiver for audio.

spice weasel

macrumors 65816
Jul 25, 2003
Yes. I should have been clearer. If your TV has HDMI, then audio and video will be carried from the ATV to your television. Then you just need to get the audio from your television to your receiver as well. This can either be another HDMI cable (TV-->reciever) if your receiver supports it, or an optical cable (also TV-->receiver). The only reason to connect an optical cable from the ATV in addition to an HDMI cable is if you want to listen to music without having your television on. If the TV is off, then it won't pass the audio through to the receiver (at least my Toshiba doesn't).

HotRodGuy

macrumors regular
Keep in mind that MANY recievers out there today are simply HDMI pass throughs, meaning they are just a median. What Onkyo model do you have?

For example, i have an Yamaha reciever w/ HDMI connections (2 in 1 out). But it's simply a median...it does not take sound to my reciever...I still have to run an optical.

DennisVR

macrumors member
Jan 22, 2008
I can't get sound working over HDMI. I think it's related due to the receiver being connected via a HDMI->DVI cable. So i'm using an additional optical for sound.

my setup:
Apple TV(HDMI out)->(HDMI in)Sony STR-DG910(HDMI out)->(DVI in)Sony VPL-HS10
Apple TV(Optical out)->(Optical in)Sony STR-DG910->Speakers

26theone

macrumors member
Jan 28, 2008
Just a warning that you will probably need an additional audio cable to your receiver.

I just hooked up my AppleTV this weekend via HDMI to my Samsung DLP LED TV. I already had an optical out from my TV to receiver. My TV specifically DOES NOT pass the digital audio from the HDMI cable (AppleTV) through the digital optical output. I had to connect a separate digital optical cable to my receiver.

Some type of copyright protection Im sure as my TV will send OTA HD Audio through it and also analog audio through the digital optical output.

cohibadad

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2007
I can't get sound working over HDMI. I think it's related due to the receiver being connected via a HDMI->DVI cable. So i'm using an additional optical for sound.

my setup:
Apple TV(HDMI out)->(HDMI in)Sony STR-DG910(HDMI out)->(DVI in)Sony VPL-HS10
Apple TV(Optical out)->(Optical in)Sony STR-DG910->Speakers

odd. I have my :apple:TV to that same receiver by HDMI and audio works beautifully. Maybe it is the DVI but I don't see why.

DennisVR

macrumors member
Jan 22, 2008
odd. I have my :apple:TV to that same receiver by HDMI and audio works beautifully. Maybe it is the DVI but I don't see why.

Which HDMI input are you using ? I'm using the DVD labeled input.

My digital HDTV set-top box does however work with sound over HDMI, but not entirely flawless either(set-top box seems to be stuck on same channel)

The DG910 US user's manual (pg 22) contains a disclaimer statement recommending against HDMI->DVI conversion cables saying that "the sound and/or the image may not be output."

Padraic

macrumors regular
Just a warning that you will probably need an additional audio cable to your receiver.

I just hooked up my AppleTV this weekend via HDMI to my Samsung DLP LED TV. I already had an optical out from my TV to receiver. My TV specifically DOES NOT pass the digital audio from the HDMI cable (AppleTV) through the digital optical output. I had to connect a separate digital optical cable to my receiver.

Some type of copyright protection Im sure as my TV will send OTA HD Audio through it and also analog audio through the digital optical output.

I have a Samsung DLP and have my AppleTV routed through HDMI -> TV-> Optical out -> Receiver and sounds works just fine.

My question is will my TV pass the 5.1 audio out to the receiver or do I need to do the optical out to the receiver to get that? My receiver currently doesn't register any sort of DSP from the AppleTV when routed through the TV (it does for HD OTA). Anyone have any thoughts?

cohibadad

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2007
Which HDMI input are you using ? I'm using the DVD labeled input.

My digital HDTV set-top box does however work with sound over HDMI, but not entirely flawless either(set-top box seems to be stuck on same channel)

The DG910 US user's manual (pg 22) contains a disclaimer statement recommending against HDMI->DVI conversion cables saying that "the sound and/or the image may not be output."

I have used all the inputs. I have several HDMI devices going in and use an HDMI switch also. I saw that about the DVI in the manual. I thought it was referring to image as DVI only carries image but maybe it was referring to your problem. All of my HDMI audios work flawlessly for any audio format I've delivered.

Nimiety

macrumors regular
Sep 6, 2006
Since the AppleTV only does 720p or 1080i, I opted to connect it via component cable for video and optical digital for audio. I already have a HD cable box and an upconverting dvd player connected by HDMI to my Onkyo (good choice, BTW...) :) The receiver the outputs by HDMI to the TV for video with all the audio from the receiver.

legacyb4

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Reopening this thread to avoid having to start a new one.

If I connect an ATV through HDMI to my HDTV, I can also hook up optical audio output to an AV amp (older, no HDMI support) to listen to audio, right?

Basically I'd prefer to stream audio to my stereo rather than my TV but be able to use the TV obviously for the Front Row interface.

No issues?

coogee

macrumors regular
May 28, 2007
Reopening this thread to avoid having to start a new one.

If I connect an ATV through HDMI to my HDTV, I can also hook up optical audio output to an AV amp (older, no HDMI support) to listen to audio, right?

Basically I'd prefer to stream audio to my stereo rather than my TV but be able to use the TV obviously for the Front Row interface.

No issues?

None that I can see. Should be fine. Using the HDMI cable doesn't disable the Optical Audio Out.

You're streaming your Audio to both TV and A/V Receiver in effect.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.