MacBook Air: Can the HD be swapped for a SSD? - MacRumors Forums
Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Old Jan 28, 2008, 09:34 AM   #1
Manatee
macrumors 6502

MacBook Air: Can the HD be swapped for a SSD?

I'm thinking about getting the MacBook Air. I'll know better after I play with it at the Apple Store in a couple of days.

The performance is sufficient for the way I'd be using it. I'd like a bigger disk, so I want to make sure I'll be able to swap disks if a larger one becomes available. (I'm comfortable messing around under the hood.)

What I really want to know is if the regular HD can be replaced with the SSD. That is, can I unplug the 80GB HD, and plug in the 64GB SSD? (Or a larger SSD if/when one becomes available that fits in the case.)

Has anyone found this information yet?

Thanks.
Old Jan 28, 2008, 09:45 AM   #2
mrJnC
macrumors regular

From the photos circulating the web, it's appears that access to the HD is about as easy as access to the battery. One site stated that the HD is held in place by a single screw. (Gizmodo gallery IIRC)

The only difficulties I foresee is finding SSD drives that have a PATA interface and the 5mm height form factor.

Last edited by mrJnC; Jan 30, 2008 at 01:40 PM. Reason: Corrected the form factor height
mrJnC is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2008, 10:07 AM   #3
luffx
macrumors regular

Isn't SSD about 15$/GB?
luffx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2008, 11:25 AM   #4
Manatee
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrJnC View Post
From the photos circulating the web, it's appears that access to the HD is about as easy as access to the battery. One site stated that the HD is held in place by a single screw. (Gizmodo gallery IIRC)

The only difficulties I foresee is finding SSD drives that have a PATA interface and the 8mm height form factor.
Thanks.

Is the SSD that Apple is currently using PATA or SATA? I know SanDisk makes SSDs with both interfaces (not in the same unit, of course.)

What I'm hoping to do is buy the "cheap" Air, and upgrade when SSD becomes cheaper.
Old Jan 28, 2008, 05:36 PM   #5
rogair
macrumors member

Yeah, you could upgrade in the future. The HD is PATA interface btw. Just make sure it's the right dimensions or it won't fit. More information about this will be available as more people get their hands on the Air.
rogair is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2008, 05:41 PM   #6
bitty417
macrumors member

Newegg already has a few 1.8" PATA SSD drives available. I'm just waiting for a) exact dimensions and b) someone else to be the guinea pig.
bitty417 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2008, 12:23 PM   #7
Gregintosh
macrumors 65816

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820147021

Looks like that is 5mm in height.

32GB for $418 shipped. Not bad. If that were $300, which it may be soon, I'd buy it and upgrade the Air with it if its really that easy.
Gregintosh is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2008, 02:22 PM   #8
melanarchy
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregintosh View Post
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820147021

Looks like that is 5mm in height.

32GB for $418 shipped. Not bad. If that were $300, which it may be soon, I'd buy it and upgrade the Air with it if its really that easy.
You've got it. That I think is the only commercially available for single unit sales sdd that you can put in the Air. (I haven't gotten my air yet so I don't know for sure.)

Also as far as I know there are no traditional 1.8" hdds with a 5mm height larger than 80gb. (So no upping to a 250gb hdd anytime soon).

The single platter 1.8"x0.2" platform for drives has been incredibly rare.
melanarchy is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air