Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Manatee

Contributor
Original poster
Oct 20, 2003
Washington DC
I'm thinking about getting the MacBook Air. I'll know better after I play with it at the Apple Store in a couple of days.

The performance is sufficient for the way I'd be using it. I'd like a bigger disk, so I want to make sure I'll be able to swap disks if a larger one becomes available. (I'm comfortable messing around under the hood.)

What I really want to know is if the regular HD can be replaced with the SSD. That is, can I unplug the 80GB HD, and plug in the 64GB SSD? (Or a larger SSD if/when one becomes available that fits in the case.)

Has anyone found this information yet?

Thanks.

mrJnC

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2007
From the photos circulating the web, it's appears that access to the HD is about as easy as access to the battery. One site stated that the HD is held in place by a single screw. (Gizmodo gallery IIRC)

The only difficulties I foresee is finding SSD drives that have a PATA interface and the 5mm height form factor.

Manatee

Contributor
Original poster
Oct 20, 2003
Washington DC
From the photos circulating the web, it's appears that access to the HD is about as easy as access to the battery. One site stated that the HD is held in place by a single screw. (Gizmodo gallery IIRC)

The only difficulties I foresee is finding SSD drives that have a PATA interface and the 8mm height form factor.
Thanks.

Is the SSD that Apple is currently using PATA or SATA? I know SanDisk makes SSDs with both interfaces (not in the same unit, of course.)

What I'm hoping to do is buy the "cheap" Air, and upgrade when SSD becomes cheaper.

rogair

macrumors member
Dec 1, 2007
Yeah, you could upgrade in the future. The HD is PATA interface btw. Just make sure it's the right dimensions or it won't fit. More information about this will be available as more people get their hands on the Air.

bitty417

macrumors member
Jul 2, 2007
Newegg already has a few 1.8" PATA SSD drives available. I'm just waiting for a) exact dimensions and b) someone else to be the guinea pig. :D

melanarchy

macrumors newbie
Jan 31, 2008
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147021

Looks like that is 5mm in height.

32GB for $418 shipped. Not bad. If that were $300, which it may be soon, I'd buy it and upgrade the Air with it if its really that easy.

You've got it. That I think is the only commercially available for single unit sales sdd that you can put in the Air. (I haven't gotten my air yet so I don't know for sure.)

Also as far as I know there are no traditional 1.8" hdds with a 5mm height larger than 80gb. (So no upping to a 250gb hdd anytime soon).

The single platter 1.8"x0.2" platform for drives has been incredibly rare.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.