Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Informationweek documents a new issue that appeared under iPhone 1.1.3 which resulted in SMS messages being displayed in the wrong order for some users.

Apple has posted a support document which offers a possible solution.
This can occur if the iPhone is not displaying the same date and time setting as the carrier network time.

Make sure iPhone is setup to receive the network time. Choose General > Date & Time and turn Set Automatically to ON. (Note that in some locations, network time may not be available and in some cases, you may not see this option)./q>

Article Link

naroola

macrumors regular
Sep 28, 2007
Chicago, IL
Does not work.

This does not exactly fix the problem. The setting on my iPhone has been "Set Automatically" ever since I got the phone in October 2007, and I still have SMSs messages out of order. The messages receive fine, but once you exit the SMS program and return to it later on, the last few messages are out of order.

benspratling

macrumors 6502
Jan 16, 2006
And that brings in another problem (courtesy of AT&T)

In some areas, AT&T's cell towers have the wrong time. For instance, in Auburn, Alabama, (where I bought my cell phone) which is in the Central time zone, the cell towers force everyone's cell phones to the Eastern time zone. As a result, in Auburn, nobody uses the carrier's time, since it's always wrong!

Anybody in AU, have they fixed this yet?

naroola

macrumors regular
Sep 28, 2007
Chicago, IL
In some areas, AT&T's cell towers have the wrong time. For instance, in Auburn, Alabama, (where I bought my cell phone) which is in the Central time zone, the cell towers force everyone's cell phones to the Eastern time zone. As a result, in Auburn, nobody uses the carrier's time, since it's always wrong!

Well, I live well in the East coast, i.e. Manhattan. And this is still a problem here. This is an unacceptable fix from Apple.

shane1598

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2007
St. Louis
This does not exactly fix the problem. The setting on my iPhone has been "Set Automatically" ever since I got the phone in October 2007, and I still have SMSs messages out of order. The messages receive fine, but once you exit the SMS program and return to it later on, the last few messages are out of order.

This actually was a fix for me. Was always on "set automatically" so I switched to manual cause I noticed that AT&T time was 3 min slower than directv time, but over night the iPhone time was three hours off? So I went back to set to automatically and it has sinced fixed it.

I recomend switching the setting back and forth a few times since most everyone is auto anyways. .

jjm3

macrumors regular
Nov 8, 2003
Atlanta, GA, USA
out of order SMSes

I haven't noticed this behavior on my iPhone with any of the software versions... I've kept it automatically set to the "carrier time" in preferences ever since version 1.0, and even today in 1.1.3 the listing of SMS conversations on the SMS main screen jump around to stay in chronological order, newest on top.

Slightly off-topic, the only thing I'm really sad about in the 1.1.3 update is the fact that SMSs no longer make the iChat noise when you're looking at the main screen; the only do the "whoop" noise when you're on the actual conversation's screen. It used to tickle me to race back to the main summary screen before the "sending" progress bar finished, and hear the sound as the little grey text preview updated...

Monk Edsel

macrumors regular
Apr 7, 2004
I haven't noticed this behavior on my iPhone with any of the software versions... I've kept it automatically set to the "carrier time" in preferences ever since version 1.0, and even today in 1.1.3 the listing of SMS conversations on the SMS main screen jump around to stay in chronological order, newest on top..

The newest message should always be on the bottom. They should never "jump around."

jjm3

macrumors regular
Nov 8, 2003
Atlanta, GA, USA
The newest message should always be on the bottom. They should never "jump around."

Oops, maybe I misunderstood the problem being discussed... I was talking about the screen where you see each person's name you're having a conversation with... on that screen they conversations jump around, so that the one with the most recent SMS message is on top.

On the screens with the actual back-and-forth SMS messages in an individual "conversation," yeah, absolutely, I've only ever seen the messages in the order the came in, newest at the bottom, scrolling down like a reglar iChat window.

brooker

macrumors regular
Apr 4, 2007
PacNW
This can occur if the iPhone is not displaying the same date and time setting as the carrier network time.

Make sure iPhone is setup to receive the network time. Choose General > Date & Time and turn Set Automatically to ON. (Note that in some locations, network time may not be available and in some cases, you may not see this option).

Notice the inconsistent use of articles preceeding "iPhone"? Usually, they don't say "the iPhone".

I wonder if this was written in a hurry.

sdunlapa

macrumors member
Apr 30, 2004
Tacoma, WA
Atomic time

What fixed it for me, was setting the clock on iPhone to Atomic time. Usually the received text is marked with Atomic time and your outgoing is marked with iPhones time.

evands

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2001
Decatur, GA

Anybody in AU, have they fixed this yet?
My buddy at AU had a $300 phone bill one month about 6 years ago for the same reason - he didn't have free roaming, and his phone kept jumping on the Georgia tower you're seeing.

My iPhone stayed on the right time zone last time I was in AU - but I may have just gotten lucky. I was just there for the weekend so didn't have a very long test period.

dsl4c

macrumors member
Dec 26, 2007
Portland, OR
doesn't fix the problem with my phone, "set automatically" has been on since day one, and still have crazy out of order SMS messages.. only with the 1.1.3 firmware however..

kstefanick

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2007
California

I second that. Maybe we should what another person that posted did. Turn that setting off for awhile then turn it back on? I know that some problems on cells phones and computers you have to play with a little bit to work the problem out. Anyway, FTL on the blog. Only one person on here has this worked for.

benspratling

macrumors 6502
Jan 16, 2006
My buddy at AU had a $300 phone bill one month about 6 years ago for the same reason - he didn't have free roaming, and his phone kept jumping on the Georgia tower you're seeing.

My iPhone stayed on the right time zone last time I was in AU - but I may have just gotten lucky. I was just there for the weekend so didn't have a very long test period.

War Eagle!
But sad for your buddy's bill.

shane1598

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2007
St. Louis
This actually was a fix for me. Was always on "set automatically" so I switched to manual cause I noticed that AT&T time was 3 min slower than directv time, but over night the iPhone time was three hours off? So I went back to set to automatically and it has sinced fixed it.

I recomend switching the setting back and forth a few times since most everyone is auto anyways. .

EDIT: scratch that, it didnt fix the problem :mad:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.