Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Old Jan 28, 2008, 04:12 PM   #1
Beegolof
macrumors newbie

Angry iBook G4 Optical Drive Jammed

I have an iBook G4 with the slot load Optical Drive and right now I can't get the disk that's currently in it out. When I press the eject key I can hear it trying to eject it but then it goes back inside and it reads normally. I need to get the disk inside it out for the disk costs more than the computer it's in.
I tried several ways to eject it, the slot isn't bent but I took a knife and felt inside the optical drive for anything that can be blocking it and noticed some piece of metal right in the front of the optical drive blocking the CD inside. I think it's something to protect the CD while it's in the drive but it look's like it's jammed.
I will take the computer apart and pull the drive out if I have to but is there an easier way?

Thanks
Beegolof is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2008, 04:23 PM   #2
MacDude415
macrumors member

I'm not positive what side of the drive it is on, but there is a button that can be pushed to eject the disk with an opened paperclip, good luck.
Old Jan 28, 2008, 04:30 PM   #3
MacDude415
macrumors member

I'm not positive what side of the drive it is on, but there is a button that can be pushed to eject the disk with an opened paperclip, good luck.

You could also try this:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=106752
Old May 13, 2008, 02:24 AM   #4
BeckyC
macrumors newbie

This late reply probably doesn't help the original poster, but it may help others who have this problem. My iBook G4 has the same problem. I tried holding the tracking button while starting or other methods that have been recommended on various forums to no avail. I took it to the Genius Bar at a local Apple Store today. The "Genius" said that it was pretty much stuck and I had to send it in for a service, that it would cost $299 since a new drive has to be installed, and that it would take 10 days or so.

Then he said as an alternative, I could buy a CD/DVD player/burner that connects to a USB port on eBay and they are pretty cheap. Since I don't need to use the CD in my iBook for other computers, I'm going for this option.
BeckyC is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs