Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

djona

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 28, 2008
I have the first generation of iPods. I liked my music so I didnt update the songs for a long time. I tried a couple of days ago and as soon as I connected it to the mac it says you want to update it to the latest version? I clicked yes but when the download was ready, I get one of those messages saying it needs to be restored, so I hit restore but then I get another message saying Can not restore because the ipod is currently busy.

Now I cant even play my old songs cause the screen says "use iTunes to restore". I tried again to restore but a message from iTunes comes up saying that the ipod is in recovery mode and cant restore because is busy.

I really like my ipod and it means a lot to me. Pleas please please... can anyone help me?

rockthecasbah

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2005
Moorestown, NJ
Okay first of all, restoring will do nothing if you also have your music in iTunes. If this is the case, restoring will only wipe it to factory settings, and you can then put the songs on you want. If you do not have your music backed up except for on the iPod, you will want to copy your music off the iPod onto your computer/a removable disk so the songs aren't lost. For info on how to do that, click here.

Once your music is backed up (if it isn't currently in your iTunes library), unplug your iPod and plug it in again. Sometimes an error will occur when an iPod first is recognized by the computer. Do not follow any prompts that may come up. Instead, go to the main screen that loads in iTunes when the iPod is plugged in. There is a button that should say restore. Make sure the iPod isn't currently syncing music and try clicking that button to perform the restore. That should hopefully work to restore it.

You can also try clicking the "check for updates" button on the main screen and update the iPod's firmware. In fact, you may want to do that before you restore. Either way, your iPod should be up and running when the the processes are complete.

djona

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 28, 2008
I connected it to a computer with no iTunes on it, and restored it and it went to factory settings. I thought I fixed it but as soon as I got done synking the music, the same message came up.

I Hope this method helps others though... U should try it .. my friends said that it has worked in the past.

Thanks for your reply anyway. Appreciate it

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.