Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kenny Wuuu

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 26, 2007
After reading many sites and looking for this topic, I failed to find any information about it. My question is:

If i downgrade from 1.1.3 to 1.1.2 then jailbreak, i know it will be an ipod touch in the sense that i cannot use the phone capabilities. But if i then upgrade it to 1.1.3 using the soft mod, can i use it as a phone again. Can someone please clarify!!! I have a PC and all the instructions needed to do so. I'm bored of my regular phone and want to go back to my hacked phone. I am a legit AT&T customer too btw. :confused:

bosxe

macrumors member
Jan 28, 2008
Chicago
I have been looking everywhere for a step by step instruction on how to do this; i have not found such a site, however from my understandings you need:

A phone that had 1.1.1 or earlier out of the box, so the bootloader is version 4.9 or earlier (if i am not mistaken)
And a jailbroken 1.1.2 or earlier phone, because then the baseband isn't upgraded either.

I guess the problem isn't jailbreaking the 1.1.3 phone, its the baseband, which dictates anything having to do with using a cellular antenna. I.e., you can get a jail-broken "glorified ipod touch".

I have yet to find a step by step guide for downgrading the baseband.

If anyone knows of a step-by-step, and complete guide to going from a: virginized 1.1.3 phone, downgrading both the firmwire and baseband down to 1.1.1 compatibility, jail-breaking the 1.1.1 firmwire, then back up to a jailbroken, 1.1.3 phone; PLEASE post it on here or PM me.

Bernie-Mac

macrumors 65816
Jul 30, 2007
Sin City, NV
You can downgrade your iphone to 1.1.1 and still use it as a phone. Downgrade it to 1.1.1, jailbreak it using jailbreakme.com, and download the baseband downgrader from the source i.unlock.no and then just upgrade to 1.1.2 or keep it at 1.1.1 and you have a functional phone again, the guide is over at modmyifone.com.

Here if you want a functional 1.1.2 or 1.1.1 downgraded iphone:
http://modmyifone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25695

Here if you want to downgrade to 1.1.1, jailbreak, upgrade to 1.1.2, jailbreak then have a fully functional 1.1.3:
http://modmyifone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27454

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Phones with bootloader 4.6 (out of box 1.1.2 and later) cannot downgrade baseband at this time.

bosxe

macrumors member
Jan 28, 2008
Chicago
You can downgrade your iphone to 1.1.1 and still use it as a phone. Downgrade it to 1.1.1, jailbreak it using jailbreakme.com, and download the baseband downgrader from the source i.unlock.no and then just upgrade to 1.1.2 or keep it at 1.1.1 and you have a functional phone again, the guide is over at modmyifone.com.

Here if you want to downgrade to 1.1.1, jailbreak, upgrade to 1.1.2, jailbreak then have a fully functional 1.1.3:

This is awesome!

Do you happen to know of one that's just as comprehensive but designed for macs?:eek:

Bernie-Mac

macrumors 65816
Jul 30, 2007
Sin City, NV
This is awesome!

Do you happen to know of one that's just as comprehensive but designed for macs?:eek:

That was my problem but its the same process and when it tells you to use ibrickr to boot the phone just use independence to boot the iphone and just use the jailbreak jar part of the 1.1.2 jailbreak for mac and i noticed that after it says jailbreak complete for the 1.1.2 jailbreak jar file, use independence again to boot it. Also when it says use the windows run command to put it in DFU mode, just hold the power and home button till the phone turns of and keep holding the home button till itunes tells you it detected an iphone in recovery mode

bosxe

macrumors member
Jan 28, 2008
Chicago
That was my problem but its the same process and when it tells you to use ibrickr to boot the phone just use independence to boot the iphone and just use the jailbreak jar part of the 1.1.2 jailbreak for mac and i noticed that after it says jailbreak complete for the 1.1.2 jailbreak jar file, use independence again to boot it. Also when it says use the windows run command to put it in DFU mode, just hold the power and home button till the phone turns of and keep holding the home button till itunes tells you it detected an iphone in recovery mode

Alright I'm going to give it a try when I get home again.

About an hour ago when I had the time I got my phone up to 1.1.2, but apptapp wouldn't reboot my phone, I would click "Install AppTap!" and nothing would happen. Pretty frustrating, I fully restored and am back to a virginized 1.1.3. :mad:

Bernie-Mac

macrumors 65816
Jul 30, 2007
Sin City, NV
Alright I'm going to give it a try when I get home again.

About an hour ago when I had the time I got my phone up to 1.1.2, but apptapp wouldn't reboot my phone, I would click "Install AppTap!" and nothing would happen. Pretty frustrating, I fully restored and am back to a virginized 1.1.3. :mad:

I hope you meant 1.1.1 cuz apptapp only works with 1.1.1, not 1.1.2, for 1.1.2 you have to install oktoprep on 1.1.1 and then upgrade to 1.1.2, download the dev teams jealbreak and run the jailbreak.jar file

bosxe

macrumors member
Jan 28, 2008
Chicago
I hope you meant 1.1.1 cuz apptapp only works with 1.1.1, not 1.1.2, for 1.1.2 you have to install oktoprep on 1.1.1 and then upgrade to 1.1.2, download the dev teams jealbreak and run the jailbreak.jar file

Yes, this is what I meant, sorry.

But I am happy to report that I have gotten my phone up to 1.1.3, with ATT signal and use of all baseband, and its jailbroken!

I came across this site which is very intuitive for both Macs and PC:

Here!

At the end, I had to manually load the lockdownd, this guide doesn't say that, but luckily the mac-rumors guide brought to us by SBrocket does!
Check it out:

Final Part

(Step 26 is the specific step for finalizing the lockdownd)

Hope this helps!:cool:

EDIT: I later realized that the Installer.app was not working properly on the phone, and I was getting script error everytime i tried to install something or even update the .app itself. Google is my new bff, quick simple fix:

Right here, in Terminal, log back into your phone's IP

Bernie-Mac

macrumors 65816
Jul 30, 2007
Sin City, NV
Yes, this is what I meant, sorry.

But I am happy to report that I have gotten my phone up to 1.1.3, with ATT signal and use of all baseband, and its jailbroken!

I came across this site which is very intuitive for both Macs and PC:

Here!

At the end, I had to manually load the lockdownd, this guide doesn't say that, but luckily the mac-rumors guide brought to us by SBrocket does!
Check it out:

Final Part

(Step 26 is the specific step for finalizing the lockdownd)

Hope this helps!:cool:

EDIT: I later realized that the Installer.app was not working properly on the phone, and I was getting script error everytime i tried to install something or even update the .app itself. Google is my new bff, quick simple fix:

Right here, in Terminal, log back into your phone's IP

Cool, glad to see everything is working ok:)

bosxe

macrumors member
Jan 28, 2008
Chicago
Cool, glad to see everything is working ok:)

now I'm stuck at another problem:confused:

My installer.app kept crashing and I was lead to believe was due to my drive being full (this was a %100 virginized phone so I don't get that one at all) and I somehow removed the installer.app from my home screen. One of the apps I downloaded however is still there...

So this is where I'm at:

1.1.3 baseband-signal acquiring phone
kind of jailbroken? I still HAVE the ssh client enabling me to connect to my phone.

Is anyone aware of a way for me to reinstall the apptapp installer.app via ssh command? Or maybe have another suggestion? I'm fearing the possibility of starting the jailbreak entirely over and trying again. Please let me know:D

Bernie-Mac

macrumors 65816
Jul 30, 2007
Sin City, NV
did you try using bosstools to move your apps and stuff to your media partition to free up space? that could be why it never downloads anything

Dakotafan

macrumors 6502
Dec 3, 2007

this is what I did going from 1.1.3->1.1.1 JB w/ phone

Kenny Wuuu

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 26, 2007
i got fairly far in the downgrade and jailbreak my iphone. But i had to use Command Prompt on my comp and i got this very nasty error.
16 bit MS-DOS Subsystem
----------------------------
C:/WINDOWS\system32\cmd.com
The NTVDM CPU has encountered an illegal instruction.

Only options are close and ignore. Both close command prompt and it cannot be used.

Can someone help!!

Also while downgrading my backup file got corrupted and I lost everything. So a warning to those who use this is YOU CAN MESS UP EASILY!!

bosxe

macrumors member
Jan 28, 2008
Chicago
did you try using bosstools to move your apps and stuff to your media partition to free up space? that could be why it never downloads anything

I had no space left to install the boss tool :(

But I just did a complete redo on the whole process, and now everything is absolutely perfect...

Only thing is, I haven't had a jailbroken phone since 1.1.1, and I really don't know which apps are worth while.

Also, I downloaded iPhysics and I LOVE it, but I can't seem to get the levels from Pinball to work...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.