Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

coreanomac

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 27, 2008
Connecticut
Ok. Let me explain what I did (I think I mess up something) let me know If someone can help me out.

I have a 1.1.2 Jailbreak iPod Touch until yesterday. I did the (Nate) 1.1.3 update everything was OK, but I miss my fav apps (Mail, Notes, Weather, Maps). I went to Installer I try to downloaded back but nothing happend.

Then I read in some place that the Nate 1.1.3 was only for the iPhone. So, I try a few things (download "iPhone1,1_1.1.1_3A109a_Restore.ipsw" put the iPod Touch on restore + press Option Key and click on "restore" or "update" on iTunes + select "iPhone1,1_1.1.1_3A109a_Restore.ipsw", but NOTHING happend so, nevermind, so I end up updating to 1.1.3 from iTunes 7.6.

Now... my touch is in recovery mode since yesterday. I can't even restore back using iTunes.. cause this message came up: "Help: 'The "ipod" could not be restored. An unknown error occurred (1604)"..

Please any help I'll appreciate.

Thanks.

Xenn0X

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2008
had something similar.
but i could update to 1.1.3 original. and then downgraded back to 1.1.1
can you update to vanilla 1.1.3.
is the ipod in restore mode with the itunes logo and cable on screen or in the black screen restore mode?

cuz if you are in the normal restore you can only flash 1.1.3 with 7.6 itunes.

coreanomac

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 27, 2008
Connecticut
iTunes 7.6 in my MacBook Pro doesn't even recognize the iPod Touch when I conected it by USB. I have 7.5 on my MacPro (@work) & recognize that the iPod is in restore mode "with the itunes logo and cable on screen or in the black screen". I Click Restore and in the "Preparing iPod to Restore" this message pop up: "The iPod "iPod" Could not be restored. An Unknown error occurred (1604)".

I don't know what else to do...

:S

That sucks!

coreanomac

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 27, 2008
Connecticut
Come on guys... I need help here... :confused:

Ok. Let me explain what I did (I think I mess up something) let me know If someone can help me out.

I have a 1.1.2 Jailbreak iPod Touch until yesterday. I did the (Nate) 1.1.3 update everything was OK, but I miss my fav apps (Mail, Notes, Weather, Maps). I went to Installer I try to downloaded back but nothing happend.

Then I read in some place that the Nate 1.1.3 was only for the iPhone. So, I try a few things (download "iPhone1,1_1.1.1_3A109a_Restore.ipsw" put the iPod Touch on restore + press Option Key and click on "restore" or "update" on iTunes + select "iPhone1,1_1.1.1_3A109a_Restore.ipsw", but NOTHING happend so, nevermind, so I end up updating to 1.1.3 from iTunes 7.6.

Now... my touch is in recovery mode since yesterday. I can't even restore back using iTunes.. cause this message came up: "Help: 'The "ipod" could not be restored. An unknown error occurred (1604)"..

Please any help I'll appreciate.

Thanks.

Quasiportnoy

macrumors regular
Oct 1, 2007
Baton Rouge, LA
Try unplugging it from USB, then hold the home button as you plug the USB connector back in. iTunes should say it detects an iPod in restore mode, and your only option will be to restore (shift or option click to select 1.1.1 firmware). This will wipe your iPod, installing 1.1.1 anew, and you will have to start all over again. But you will have a working iPod.

xinfinity

macrumors newbie
Jan 27, 2008
You are not getting much help, because you need to search the forum or Google the error. ;)

I would suggest leaving your iPT hooked up to your pc/mac (this is a key step), holding down the sleep/wake + home buttons for 10 seconds, then release the sleep/wake button, continuing to hold the home button. If you have itunes open, it will recognize your iPT in recovery mode...even though you may or may not see an image on your iPT. Then you should be able to restore to 1.1.1.

You also need to restore to 1.1.1 (3A110a) from http://wiki.iphonegameover.com/Firmware_download. The 1.1.1 (3A109a) you are trying to restore to is an older version.

Good luck!
x∞

coreanomac

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 27, 2008
Connecticut
Thanks xinfinity I appreciate your help... Maybe was that. Restore the IPT to 1.1.1 (3A110a)

I'll let u know if was that.

Thanks

coreanomac

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 27, 2008
Connecticut
I try that restoring with 1.1.1 (3A110a) Restore

and this message came up:

'The "ipod" could not be restored. An unknown error occurred (1)

7even

macrumors 65816
Jan 11, 2008
Think you need to put the iPod in DFU mode or something to downgrade from 1.1.3? There's a way to do it through iPhuc and a way to do it by holding the power/home buttons down correctly..

xinfinity

macrumors newbie
Jan 27, 2008
I had the same problem with my iPT after restoring to 1.1.3, then trying to downgrade to 1.1.1. This is why I indicated "I would suggest leaving your iPT hooked up to your pc/mac (this is a key step)," If you hold down the sleep/wake + home buttons without it hooked up to your pc/mac you will receive this error. If you have it hooked up to your pc/mac, and still receive the error...unfortunately I don't have an answer for you :confused:

x∞

I try that restoring with 1.1.1 (3A110a) Restore

and this message came up:

'The "ipod" could not be restored. An unknown error occurred (1)

coreanomac

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 27, 2008
Connecticut
Ouch, sounds like that iphone restore on the ipod really messed up the touch. Just reminder not to do this again because that error is for iPhone so now it seems your iPod touch think its an iPhone. Here is the info you need.

Error 1604 when restoring your iPhone.

I had jailbroken 1.1.3, then I restored using iTunes 7.6, messed it up, all because I wanted to switch to the official Jailbreak. So I restored using 7.6, not knowing it messes up OktoPrep, get to 1.1.1, jailbreak, install OktoPrep, Try to upgrade to 1.1.2, fail. So then I try again, restore, repeat. Now I can't upgrade to anything or downgrade. I got my computer to finally read my iPod. Except now it's in recovery mode, can't get it out of it and I can't upgrade or anything! I'm on a mac, with 7.5 installed currently, HELP!

Pippen Man

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2008
I had the same problem. Here's what you do. Download file called "1.1.3 Downgrade" here. Open up the file called, "iPhuc.exe." Also open up the file called "README." Since your iPod is still in recovery mode, type this into the Command Prompt, "cmd fsboot." Without the quotes. This should take the iPod out of recovery mode.

To continue the Downgrading Process, attempt the hold down sleep/wake button + home buttons... yeah. If not, follow the direcitons in the "README!" in the "1.1.3 Downgrade."

coreanomac

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 27, 2008
Connecticut
I had the same problem. Here's what you do. Download file called "1.1.3 Downgrade" here. Open up the file called, "iPhuc.exe." Also open up the file called "README." Since your iPod is still in recovery mode, type this into the Command Prompt, "cmd fsboot." Without the quotes. This should take the iPod out of recovery mode.

To continue the Downgrading Process, attempt the hold down sleep/wake button + home buttons... yeah. If not, follow the direcitons in the "README!" in the "1.1.3 Downgrade."

I have Mac OS X Leopard. iPhuc.exe doesn't open. :S

Is there other way? I have the "iPod1,1_1.1.1_3A110a_Restore.ipsw" on my desktop ready to go.

Pippen Man

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2008
I have Mac OS X Leopard. iPhuc.exe doesn't open. :S

Is there other way? I have the "iPod1,1_1.1.1_3A110a_Restore.ipsw" on my desktop ready to go.

Darn. Umm, actually, have you tried plugging it into another computer? I have no idea what the end result would be, but if you can, use my method above and get to a Windows computer somewhere. That was the only way I got out of it.:apple:

coreanomac

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 27, 2008
Connecticut
Darn. Umm, actually, have you tried plugging it into another computer? I have no idea what the end result would be, but if you can, use my method above and get to a Windows computer somewhere. That was the only way I got out of it.:apple:

Thanks.. I'll try that.

If someone got something else that I could try let me know...

Rinto

macrumors newbie
Jan 29, 2008
iTunes Update

I had the same error code 1604 on my iPod Touch, after I tried to update it to 1.1.3.

I was unable to restore the iPod, getting the same error.

Updating iTunes to 7.6 (from 7.4) fixed the problem for me.

boonleng

macrumors regular
Aug 30, 2007
United States
I was on the exact same situation... but resolved now.

I was able to update to 1.1.3 using iTunes 7.6 on an Intel iMac running Leopard OSX.

I did all my downgrades (for jailbreak) within iTunes 7.6. The recovery mode right after JB 1.1.2 wasn't really a stuck... it could be kicked out of. You are going to need iNdependence 1.3.2 BETA to kick the ipod out of recovery mode. It's very tricky, I have to have iTunes open, then open iNdependence, close iTunes, and open iTunes again.

It was mentioned in this video, though lack the details...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhvogdypF_A

coreanomac

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 27, 2008
Connecticut
I was on the exact same situation... but resolved now.

I was able to update to 1.1.3 using iTunes 7.6 on an Intel iMac running Leopard OSX.

I did all my downgrades (for jailbreak) within iTunes 7.6. The recovery mode right after JB 1.1.2 wasn't really a stuck... it could be kicked out of. You are going to need iNdependence 1.3.2 BETA to kick the ipod out of recovery mode. It's very tricky, I have to have iTunes open, then open iNdependence, close iTunes, and open iTunes again.

It was mentioned in this video, though lack the details...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhvogdypF_A

Ok... I download Independece and this happend ("Failure

Error registering for callbacks from iPhone"). Weird...

boonleng

macrumors regular
Aug 30, 2007
United States
Yes it gives you an error message but ignore that... try close it and reopen while itunes is opened... or reverse... have independence open, close itunes and reopen... try different combinations.

coreanomac

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 27, 2008
Connecticut
Yes it gives you an error message but ignore that... try close it and reopen while itunes is opened... or reverse... have independence open, close itunes and reopen... try different combinations.

Im trying just that, i connected th iPod T via USB open itunes then open independence & the other way. And still have this message: Failure

Error registering for callbacks from iPhone I click OKd and start again and nothing.

Im ready to donate this iPod touch to WillItBlends.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.