Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

twynne

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 21, 2006
London, UK
I used (what I believe to be) the first jailbreak method that came out for the Touch on Sunday morning, and having read various posts on the subject I'm wondering if I ended up with the iPhone firmware rather than Touch. I'm not sure it's that important as it appears to be working, but I'm wondering if there's a way to check.

Also does anyone know what will happen if you re-jailbreak a Touch already running 1.1.3? Will the new firmware just overwrite it, or is it just not possible?

Thanks,

Tom

Xenn0X

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2008
ssh into your ipod and check in the application directory.
or use mobilefinder app.
if there are apps like sms and phone, then it's a iphone firmware. if not. ipod.
you cannot re jailbreak. just downgrade back to 1.1.1 and start over.
first time i jb to 1.1.3 i had iphone fw too. now i'm on proper ipod touch fw.

twynne

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 21, 2006
London, UK
Thanks - I did consider that but wasn't sure if the presence of the apps was a definitive check. I have MobilePhone.app and MobileSMS.app so I'm guessing it's the iPhone firmware.

Any thoughts on whether it's possible to switch without downgrading and starting over?

Cheers,

Tom

twynne

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 21, 2006
London, UK
I haven't been subject to the 'DRM issue' as I was already running firmware 1.1.2 when I upgraded.

I am, however, wondering if the iPhone firmware conflicts in some other way with the Touch as my battery life seems to be *dramatically* reduced since upgrading. With only a few hours use I'm down to about 1/3 remaining, where I used to get a few hours each day over several days before it needed a charge.

Anyone else?

andybno1

Suspended
Nov 6, 2007
Liverpool, UK
if you used the first jailbreak method (iBrickr) then yeh you have iPhone firmware. Best method is via ipodtouchmaster's installer source does it all for you via installer NO pc needed and when its done you get 1.1.3 with full features/apps

twynne

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 21, 2006
London, UK
if you used the first jailbreak method (iBrickr) then yeh you have iPhone firmware. Best method is via ipodtouchmaster's installer source does it all for you via installer NO pc needed and when its done you get 1.1.3 with full features/apps

Yes, I thought that might be the easiest. Any ideas whether it can be run on a Touch that is already at 1.1.3? I'd prefer to avoid starting over if at all possible. :)

Xenn0X

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2008
no you need to downgrade back to 1.1.1, then jailbreak it, oktoprep en update to 1.1.2. then jailbreak 1.1.2. und then run the 1.1.3 jailbreak.
this way you won't have drm issue's too.

twynne

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 21, 2006
London, UK
Hi,

Actually it's an already jailbreak'd 1.1.3 (went 1.1.1 > 1.1.2 > 1.1.3) so I have access to Installer. Surely this should work without downgrading?

Xenn0X

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2008
you can try but i will not recommend that.
if fails u can always restore so be my guest.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.