Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

harcosparky

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 14, 2008
So I told the :apple:TV to go to Photos and got this message ...

iTunes is not set up to stream photos.
Setup itunes to stream photos to your Apple TV

So I go to iTunes and scout around but cannot find anything about streaming photos.

Any ideas?

Thanks !

EDIT: Never mind, I sorta figured it out

FreeState

macrumors 68000
Jun 24, 2004
San Diego, CA
So I told the :apple:TV to go to Photos and got this message ...

iTunes is not set up to stream photos.
Setup itunes to stream photos to your Apple TV

So I go to iTunes and scout around but cannot find anything about streaming photos.

Any ideas?

Thanks !

Click on the AppleTV under devices in iTunes and then select the Photo tab - it should look like the image below.

Attachments

• appletv_hero20070905.png
    appletv_hero20070905.png
    167.6 KB · Views: 422

harcosparky

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 14, 2008
Click on the AppleTV under devices in iTunes and then select the Photo tab - it should look like the image below.

Thanks, I sorta figured it out.

It seems you can SYNC photos to ATV, that is move them to the ATV and view them, but not STREAM the from the computer.

imlucid

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2007
Thanks, I sorta figured it out.

It seems you can SYNC photos to ATV, that is move them to the ATV and view them, but not STREAM the from the computer.

You can stream them if you are paired with iTunes for streaming. If you are paired for syncing, you must sync them over.

Kevin

ordovice

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2007
Kevin,
Any word on the update? (Sorry, I had to throw that out there)

For the OP, here's a suggestion I find works well to get the best of both worlds. Set up your appleTV for Syncing and sync the pictures you want to always be on the ATV. This is primarily for the screensaver functions, but in our case, our whole. After it's been synced up, you can still stream the pictures if you want, which we do from time to time.

harcosparky

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 14, 2008
You can stream them if you are paired with iTunes for streaming. If you are paired for syncing, you must sync them over.

Kevin

Hmmmmm ... how do I pair for 'streaming', I dont recall seeing that in setup.

(I'll be looking into this in the meantime.)

THANKS

mwp98223

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2007
Conway Washington
Kevin,
Any word on the update? (Sorry, I had to throw that out there)

For the OP, here's a suggestion I find works well to get the best of both worlds. Set up your appleTV for Syncing and sync the pictures you want to always be on the ATV. This is primarily for the screensaver functions, but in our case, our whole. After it's been synced up, you can still stream the pictures if you want, which we do from time to time.

I have read these posts several times and I'm very confused. My AppleTV is set to sync with my mac, but I generally stream my audio and video content. I would like to stream my photos.

Am I reading here that the ONLY way to stream photos is to shut off syncing all together. In otherwords, with audio and video it seems that if I have the AppleTV set to sync, I can have either streaming or syncing, but with photos it is either/or depending on the set up.

theBB

macrumors 68020
Jan 3, 2006
Am I reading here that the ONLY way to stream photos is to shut off syncing all together. In otherwords, with audio and video it seems that if I have the AppleTV set to sync, I can have either streaming or syncing, but with photos it is either/or depending on the set up.
No, it is not. You can sync some photos and stream the rest. However, make sure you are running 1.1 version of the software on your AppleTV. The original 1.0 did not allow photo streaming for some reason.

mwp98223

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2007
Conway Washington
No, it is not. You can sync some photos and stream the rest. However, make sure you are running 1.1 version of the software on your AppleTV. The original 1.0 did not allow photo streaming for some reason.

I'm running 1.1 (just purchased the unit) and waiting for 2.0.

So how do I stream "the rest". I guess I'm just not getting it.

ordovice

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2007
Stream pictures just like you would stream movies or music.

Choose your source library
Go to Photos and you should see a listing with a similar photo structure as your directories in My Pictures.

It's that easy (Sorry, I had to say it)

What issues are you having?

harcosparky

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 14, 2008

Go to Photos and you should see a listing with a similar photo structure as your directories in My Pictures.

I *think* I figured it out and also understand the problems.

I did as you said, and chose " ABC_IMAC " from the Sources menu.

Now at this point I expect to see my iPhoto pics and select which ones to stream. I was hoping to select an 'event' from iPhoto, but nothing showed up.

What I ended up doing was creating an ALBUM and named it " Apple TV ".

I then loaded a group of photos into the ALBUM and went to the TV

I told Apple TV the source and selected photos, at this point the ALBUM called AppleTV was displayed and I was able to stream it.

This is an OK method I suppose, but instead of directly accessing the iPhoto Library it seems to want ALBUMS, thus I have to either create multiple albums or change out the contents of that single album.

In any case, I have it working.

Maybe TAKE 2 will address this.

Apple makes it seem so simple a caveman could do it, in the commercials! :D

What I would like obviously is direct access to the libraries so I can choose an event like " Timonium Bike Show 2008 ", but now i have to create a library! :(

mwp98223

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2007
Conway Washington

When I go to photos when i'm using my source computer it says I am not set up for streaming. I have synced over some of my photos from iPhoto but not all. Some photos then are sitting on the AppleTV, but I can not "stream the rest"

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.