Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Old Jan 30, 2008, 01:42 AM   #1
WizardHunt
macrumors Demi-God

Can I connect a external Hard drive to my Apple TV?

I am in the market of buying a Apple TV, and know that it comes with 40 GB or 160GB HD. I don't have a lot of money and do have extra external hard drives and was wondering can I have the apple TV pull the movies from a external drive?

If not am I forced to use my computer to copy them from the external HD to the mac, in itunes and then do it that way? If that is the case why the option of 40 GB and 160 GB?

Please clarify for me if you would be so kind.
ordered iPhone 6 Plus 128GB Sep 12th: 2:14 am PST Gold w/Apple Care & iPhone 6 Plus Space Grey 128GB
WizardHunt is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2008, 01:44 AM   #2
Alx9876
macrumors 6502

Right out of the box you can't. But if you modify or hack your Apple tv then you could. But after this new update it's all in the air.
Alx9876 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2008, 01:51 AM   #3
WizardHunt
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alx9876 View Post
Right out of the box you can't. But if you modify or hack your Apple tv then you could. But after this new update it's all in the air.
Ok, I must be in the dark about this update, What update? and what will the update do ?
ordered iPhone 6 Plus 128GB Sep 12th: 2:14 am PST Gold w/Apple Care & iPhone 6 Plus Space Grey 128GB
WizardHunt is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2008, 01:57 AM   #4
bentup
macrumors member

Better still! Put those movies on your external, connect that to your compy, then drag them into iTunes while holding down option. This won't copy them back into your iTunes folder. Then you can sync/stream or whatever to your Apple TV and there your media will be. So you will still be stuck with the 160 GB capacity unless you hack it, but streaming really isn't that bad.

This could be annoying if your main machine is a notebook like mine, but a great solution if you are hard pressed for internal storage.

Another solution would be to use those external drives as network storage and install a media server on there. Twonky works well with iTunes, haven't tried it yet with the Apple TV tho.

EDIT: check out http://www.apple.com/appletv/ for the update details... Basically it is just to allow movie rentals through the iTunes Store, and show it off with a more attractive interface.

Last edited by bentup; Jan 30, 2008 at 01:59 AM. Reason: 2.0
bentup is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater