Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro

Old Jan 30, 2008, 12:35 PM   #1
AppleSingh
macrumors newbie

Macbook freezes during startup

Hello All,

I am running Mac OS X 10.5.1 on a Macbook Core 2 Duo 2.16 with 4 gb ram. The other day, my mac froze while in screensaver mode, so i turned it off.

When I went to turn it back on, it stayed on the Apple logo screen for a while with the circle turning under it, and after 5 or so minutes it just restarts.

I have tried clearing the PRAM with no results. When I go to startup disk mode, my start up disk DOES appear.

I popped in my leopard disc and figured Id try an archive and install, but when I try to install, the HD has a yellow triangle with an exclamation point in it. When I choose to install it there, it says I need to change the installation settings, but the only installation setting that is available is to erase everything.

Does anyone know how I can solve this problem?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
AppleSingh is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2008, 12:46 PM   #2
macgeek77
macrumors regular

Hmm. There might be something wrong with your OS. Do you have any apps like Techtool Pro, DiskWarrior, etc? They might be able to help this. Check the disk out for errors and do an optimization. Your Leopard disk might also be able to do something. Try "Repair Disk" or "Repair Disk Permissions" in the disk utility.
macgeek77 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2008, 12:56 PM   #3
AppleSingh
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by macgeek77 View Post
Hmm. There might be something wrong with your OS. Do you have any apps like Techtool Pro, DiskWarrior, etc? They might be able to help this. Check the disk out for errors and do an optimization. Your Leopard disk might also be able to do something. Try "Repair Disk" or "Repair Disk Permissions" in the disk utility.
I ran disk utility, and it wouldnt give me the option to repair. I tried verifying it, and got an "invalid sibling link" error.

Also, it said my hard drive was not mounted.

I booted into single user mode and did fsck_hfs -r and it is currently currinng and finding all kinds of problems... invalid first link in hard link etc
AppleSingh is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro