Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

spencecb

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 20, 2003
Hey everyone. Just wanted to ask a quick question about F@H.

My boyfriend just got a new HP with a quad core AMD processor. Do any of you know if the SMP client for Vista supports AMD? I've looked through the FAQ, but I can't find any mention of AMD, only Intel and PowerPC.

Any help would be appreciated. And it counts for team 3446, because that is the one we signed up for :)

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
I'm going to go out on a limb here but I suspect that the SMP Windows XP/Vista client is going to work just fine on an AMD running Windows Vista.

spencecb

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 20, 2003
I'm going to go out on a limb here but I suspect that the SMP Windows XP/Vista client is going to work just fine on an AMD running Windows Vista.

You would think, but when i downloaded that this morning, it kept having an error starting the core. So something isn't working correctly.

I also read somewhere on Stanford's website that some multi-core computers would have to run separate clients for each core. It does not specify if this affects AMD.

Kind of frustrating that they don't give a lot of troubleshooting...If they want people to do this, they need to make it a little more helpful.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
You would think, but when i downloaded that this morning, it kept having an error starting the core. So something isn't working correctly.

I also read somewhere on Stanford's website that some multi-core computers would have to run separate clients for each core. It does not specify if this affects AMD.

Kind of frustrating that they don't give a lot of troubleshooting...If they want people to do this, they need to make it a little more helpful.
When this happens in OS X I normally delete the "Fah_Core.exe" file and have it download the core again.

mc68k

macrumors 68000
Apr 16, 2002
I had this problem with a C2D Dell Desktop at work. It refused to start the cores even after deleting files in that folder. So I don't think that specific issue is related to AMD/Intel

I just gave up on it...if there is a solution I would like to know since the SMP units are worth more ;)

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
I had this problem with a C2D Dell Desktop at work. It refused to start the cores even after deleting files in that folder. So I don't think that specific issue is related to AMD/Intel

I just gave up on it...if there is a solution I would like to know since the SMP units are worth more ;)

i never got it to work either. so now i'm helping look for aliens instead

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
This is the error I was getting as well under XP.

http://folding.stanford.edu/English/FAQ-SMP

If the client fails to start, and the fahlog.ext shows a CoreStatus = 63 (99) error, that is a permissions problem, or a MPI registration problem, or both. To correct this, set the properties of the fah.exe file to "Run as Administrator" and then run the "install.bat" file again to register MPI and the SMPD service.
Windows Vista and SMP

I was able to get past the error using the following instructions in XP as well. I'll get back once I've sent a completed work unit. Seriously, less then a minute in Google. :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.