Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Jan 30, 2008, 02:28 PM   #1
German Toys
macrumors newbie

Handbrake causing incomplete encoding

I have searched a fair amount, and found that some have been having the same problems.

When I encode using handbrake from a DVD or from a Video_TS folder off the HD, Handbrake only encodes about 3/4s of the movie. Leaving the last 20 or so mins out of the film.

Movies I have tried:
Superbad
Simpsons
Bourne Ultimatum

I used mac the ripper to encode on the hd first, then used handbrake, with the same result. If copyrighted protection is playing a part in my problem, why would it cut off only the last 20 mins, why not the entire film.

I am using 2.0ghz macbook w/2gb ram.
German Toys is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2008, 03:14 PM   #2
TheStu
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by German Toys View Post
I have searched a fair amount, and found that some have been having the same problems.

When I encode using handbrake from a DVD or from a Video_TS folder off the HD, Handbrake only encodes about 3/4s of the movie. Leaving the last 20 or so mins out of the film.

Movies I have tried:
Superbad
Simpsons
Bourne Ultimatum

I used mac the ripper to encode on the hd first, then used handbrake, with the same result. If copyrighted protection is playing a part in my problem, why would it cut off only the last 20 mins, why not the entire film.

In that instance, I am not totally sure what is going on. Usually the copy protection is in the first few chapters, strange that it would fail toward the end.
Old Feb 5, 2008, 05:14 AM   #3
eistea
macrumors newbie

I have try tu backup the bourne ultimatum and others new dvd with mac the ripper: it's dont wants to work. Did he worked by you without problem?
eistea is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2008, 04:12 PM   #4
whidbeyben
macrumors newbie

Handbrake misses last part of some movies

I have had the same experience with using handbrake to try to get some DVD's onto iPod. I tried ripping Spaceballs and 2010. In both cases, the last few minutes were cut off. I succeeded in ripping Pee Wee Herman's Great Adventure, and that complete movie made the conversion, so I'm not sure what's going on. Is it possible that it has something to do with double layered disks and the movie being broken into two different files, but Handbrake not automatically getting the second part? I don't know, I'm just hypothesizing.
whidbeyben is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2008, 02:56 PM   #5
mechler
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by German Toys View Post

Movies I have tried:
Superbad
Simpsons
Bourne Ultimatum

I have successfully used Handbrake to re-encode The Simpsons for my Ipod Touch, so it can be done.

Here's what I would do:

1. Rip the movie with Mac the Ripper.
2. Play the Video_TS folder using another program to make sure everything ripped correctly. (I use a pc (for now) so I don't know what program to recommend - I use Intervideo DVD or something on my pc which isn't anything special)
3. Manually select the main movie on Handbrake (with The Simpsons, it's the file that is about 1h 28 min long)
4. If you ripped the DVD correctly and there is still a problem with Handbrake, post a screen shot of your settings.
Old Feb 18, 2008, 03:03 PM   #6
mechler
macrumors member

Also, check out this short thread:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=419329

As the last poster eluded to, there is a dummy segment, so make sure to choose the file that is 1h 26 min instead of the 1h 46min one.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store