Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Jan 30, 2008, 02:35 PM   #1
Jschultz
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to Jschultz
Apple Mail- No outgoing mail. (need help setting up server)

So,

my university told me that we use POP3 mail, and that setting up on my iPhone and Macbook should be a piece of cake. On my macbook, the server of my email (mail.stfrancis.edu) works fine, and imports mail. However, the IT guy said that the outgoing server is the SAME thing. Mail seems to want a SMTP prefix for some reason. The situation is, I can't get it to connect with the outgoing server. What am I doing wrong? The IT guy says it is over his head, and he can longer help.

Help!
Old Jan 30, 2008, 02:49 PM   #2
prostuff1
macrumors 65816

most outgoing mail servers (and all the ones i have ever seen) have an smtp.xxx.xxx as the outgoing mail server.

I would try smtp.stfrancis.edu first and if that does not work then try a few others. Like: smtp.mail.stfrancis.edu or mail.stfrancis.edu.

Another problem might be your internet provider. I have had problems a few time with my internet provider blocking mail that is going out via a different smtp server. To test this just figure out the outgoing mail server for your provider and put it in as the outgoing server.
Old Jan 30, 2008, 03:01 PM   #3
Jschultz
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by prostuff1 View Post
most outgoing mail servers (and all the ones i have ever seen) have an smtp.xxx.xxx as the outgoing mail server.

I would try smtp.stfrancis.edu first and if that does not work then try a few others. Like: smtp.mail.stfrancis.edu or mail.stfrancis.edu.

Another problem might be your internet provider. I have had problems a few time with my internet provider blocking mail that is going out via a different smtp server. To test this just figure out the outgoing mail server for your provider and put it in as the outgoing server.
Ok, here's what happened. using th SMTP prefixes yielded no results. However, using mail.stfrancis.edu as my outgoing server, the error message "+OK Groupwise POP3 Server Ready".

We use Novell Groupwise at school...does this have anything to do with it?
Old Jan 30, 2008, 03:14 PM   #4
prostuff1
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jschultz View Post
Ok, here's what happened. using th SMTP prefixes yielded no results. However, using mail.stfrancis.edu as my outgoing server, the error message "+OK Groupwise POP3 Server Ready".

We use Novell Groupwise at school...does this have anything to do with it?
Do you have to use a user login name and password??

I know when i get my school mail i need to authenticate to the server.
Old Jan 30, 2008, 03:34 PM   #5
Jschultz
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Do you have to use a user login name and password??

I know when i get my school mail i need to authenticate to the server.
Yes, but even using that yields no results. I use Authenticate using password. Then, I use my username and password that the email uses.
Old Jan 30, 2008, 03:45 PM   #6
prostuff1
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Yes, but even using that yields no results. I use Authenticate using password. Then, I use my username and password that the email uses.
Hum, well the other thing you can try is using your internet providers outgoig mail server.

Who is your internet provider?? Usually you can find the info on there site as most providers also have a free e-mail account that goes with the service. I would try that next and if it works don't bother messing with it anymore.
Old Jan 30, 2008, 04:05 PM   #7
yippy
macrumors 68020

Send a message via AIM to yippy
Did you check if it needs a secure connection or a non-standard port? The IT guy would know this.

It also may matter where you are. At my university you can only send mail using the university mail server if you are on the campus network. If that is the case you can always use another mail server like gmail or your ISPs.
yippy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2008, 04:10 PM   #8
Jschultz
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Hum, well the other thing you can try is using your internet providers outgoig mail server.

Who is your internet provider?? Usually you can find the info on there site as most providers also have a free e-mail account that goes with the service. I would try that next and if it works don't bother messing with it anymore.
I have AT&T Broadband. What is their server?

Quote:
Originally Posted by yippy View Post
Did you check if it needs a secure connection or a non-standard port? The IT guy would know this.

It also may matter where you are. At my university you can only send mail using the university mail server if you are on the campus network. If that is the case you can always use another mail server like gmail or your ISPs.
I use my university's email at home and at school, so I think that might rule out that possibility.

Last edited by Mitthrawnuruodo; Mar 14, 2009 at 03:16 PM. Reason: Merging, please use MULTIQUOTE to answer more than one post...
Jschultz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2008, 04:59 PM   #9
Consultant
macrumors G5

Did you email the webmaster@ your school? Ask about SMTP server and outgoing mail settings. The settings will work for macs and pcs, so if they say they don't know macs, tell them to give you the settings for outlook.
Consultant is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2008, 10:21 PM   #10
Jschultz
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Consultant View Post
Did you email the webmaster@ your school? Ask about SMTP server and outgoing mail settings. The settings will work for macs and pcs, so if they say they don't know macs, tell them to give you the settings for outlook.
Yes, I emailed the webmaster/IT guy at school. He told me both the outgoing server and incoming server are both mail.stfrancis.edu

So, I'm not sure what else I can do. I go to a small, private school..I'm not sure we could get an IT guy who knows what he's doing.
Old Jan 30, 2008, 10:23 PM   #11
swiftaw
macrumors 603

Quote:
I have AT&T Broadband. What is their server?
AT&T Broadband SMTP server:
mail.attbi.com
swiftaw is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2008, 11:09 PM   #12
Jschultz
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftaw View Post
AT&T Broadband SMTP server:
mail.attbi.com
thanks- I guess this means that i can't send mail over edge then?

Last edited by Jschultz; Jan 30, 2008 at 11:10 PM. Reason: text
Old Jan 30, 2008, 11:15 PM   #13
prostuff1
macrumors 65816

Quote:
thanks- I guess this means that i can't send mail over edge then?
so does the outgoing mail server work if you try to set it up in Apple mail on a computer??

I am just curious, cause if it does then there is something that is happening (or not happening as the case may be) in the iPhone mail program that is not in the desktop version.

If you can set it up on the desktop but not the iPhone i would head over to the apple discussion boards and see if they can help.
Old Mar 14, 2009, 03:08 PM   #14
wassupdude423
macrumors newbie

Hey Jschultz,

Did you or anyone else ever figure out this problem? I am in the same situation: I go to a small private school, the incoming and outgoing servers are the same (mail.etbu.edu), I am unable to connect/send emails from the outgoing server (But I can receive emails), and the IT people at my school haven't helped at all either.

Everything worked fine for a few weeks, but then all of a sudden it stopped working. I'd greatly appreciate any relevant ideas/solutions. Thanks.
wassupdude423 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2009, 02:47 PM   #15
Jschultz
macrumors 6502a

Holy wow, I almost forgot about this.

Nope, I never figured it out. I was hoping some software updates from Apple would eventually help, but no. I was always able to receive email from the school, but that was it. I eventually gave up and just made the direct mailbox URL an icon on my homescreen. PITA, but it worked. Good luck!
Old Mar 14, 2011, 10:54 PM   #16
javagrl
macrumors newbie

Possible solution to outgoing school smtp server problem

Hi I know this is so late, but I had the same problem with the outgoing smtp server for my school. I'm not an expert, but somebody mentioned using the settings for outlook express. This worked for me, and since i definitely don't want to talk to the IT department at my school I found this link that my school uses to set up outlook express. You might be able to use the same settings for your school email (just fill in your school name where it says ramapo).

https://its.ramapo.edu/downloads/OutlookSettings.pdf

thanks for all the help
javagrl is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store