Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

law guy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 17, 2003
Western Massachusetts
I'm not sure if this is a hardware issue or a software issue or...

When I send print jobs to my printer (an HP LaserJet 2100 w/Adobe postscript chip) from my mac (Dual 1.42) [attached via a USB cable) (printer selected in the list on the OS X software - OS is updated with the new apple releases - has always had this glitch) sometimes it prints, sometimes the print icon comes up for a minute and then goes away but doesn't print, sometimes the icon stays up and the print job never makes it to the printer (the status in the window of the printer box says "finally sending print job").

Anyone know what is going on? Does anyone have similar problems or had them and resolved the issue?

Everytime I hit print, there's a real question in my mind whether its going to work on that occassion and it shouldn't be so hit or miss.

Thanks for any help

alia

macrumors 65816
Apr 2, 2003
Tampa, FL (Orlando, 2003 - 2023)
My mom's pcs 2110 is hit and miss as well. Also an HP printer. The damned this is infuriating. We've also never gotten the scanner to work and if you get it to copy properly, it won't print and vice versa.

It's a POS.

It's sad because I've had an HP for 5 years on my PC without ANY problems. Why can't her fancy 2110 work for her mac?

Alia

law guy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 17, 2003
Western Massachusetts
Originally posted by alia
My mom's pcs 2110 is hit and miss as well. Also an HP printer. The damned this is infuriating. We've also never gotten the scanner to work and if you get it to copy properly, it won't print and vice versa.

Alia

Well - it's good to know it's not just my setup - disappointing to find out that it appears to be a problem with Macs and HP printers. Can anyone tell me if other printers work better (I'd hate to lose the investment in the HP) or if there is some sort of software fix anyone has come across?

thanks -

LG

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
my deskjet 3320 (hp makes disposable printers, isn't that cute?) often does this if the printer has been on for a couple of days with no activity. i have to turn it off/on, sometimes unplug the computer or USB cable. very annoying. i don't think HP drivers are worth ****.

anyone know of generic drivers that work better? i'm afraid getting into CUPS isn't my territory...

pnw

dbally

macrumors member
Jul 27, 2003
me too!

I have exactly the same problem. I'm using a Brother HL-1650 laser printer though. It's hit or miss (hits from Word, misses from Safari and Preview mainly), but I haven't tried it on many other applications. It also supports duplexing, but OS X only gives this as a print option rarely. I've gotten the latest and greatest Brother drivers and have also used the ones that OS X defaults too. I'm glad I'm not the only one with these issues. Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

law guy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 17, 2003
Western Massachusetts
Re: me too!

Originally posted by dbally
I have exactly the same problem. I'm using a Brother HL-1650 laser printer though. It's hit or miss (hits from Word, misses from Safari and Preview mainly), but I haven't tried it on many other applications. It also supports duplexing, but OS X only gives this as a print option rarely. I've gotten the latest and greatest Brother drivers and have also used the ones that OS X defaults too. I'm glad I'm not the only one with these issues. Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

Surely this can't be an acceptable result for Apple for something as basic to desktop computing as printing. My Commodore 64 printed 100% of the time to a dox-matrix printer in '84. My Mac Si printed 100% of the time to a SCSI GCC laser back in '92. It just seems to me that in 2003, something like printing shouldn't cause this much angst.

Perhaps it's the type of connection? My HP is connected via USB. Have folks had better luck with an ethernet connection to a print server like one of the HP direct connects?

Are apple's print driver's to blame?

Thanks

orl2222

macrumors member
Oct 21, 2003
so cal
I had the same problem with a HP 750 all in one. I don't think its drivers, It's the built in power save fuctions in HP's. I had to turn it on over and over again, HP's power save cannot be turned off, max is 12 hrs, then it activates. Finally, i ditched it for a Lexmark X5150 all in one, And never looked back. Too bad that HP does not offer a option to turn their powersave off.

d-m-z

macrumors newbie
Feb 2, 2005
I was having similar issues. Bought a new USB cable and it's worked perfectly ever since. Something to test maybe.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.